LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

spec's on a 1997 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 02:46 PM

spec's on a 1997 trans am

just wanted to know if it was obd 2 or obd1 and whats the hp/trq i think the hp is 285 (under rated) but im going to finally get my car tonight and wanted some info.
Thanks.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:53 PM

Re: spec's on a 1997 trans am

Obd2, 285hp... not under rated if your talking RWHP. I can't remember the TQ spec.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:55 PM

Isn't the TA with ram air rated at 305 hp?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:02 PM

i thought ram air was 305 but im not sure im leaving to pick it up now so thanks for the help. keep sending it and ill get back to u guys later.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:05 PM

I think the RamAir is rated at 305... but I wouldn't put much stock in that. I've never seen a WS6 out-run a regular TA... stock vs. stock anyway. I even know people who have taken the stock RamAir set up off to put on a K&N or Moroso unit... and got better results.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:06 PM

97= it is obd II (all 96+ models of vehicles had to be obdII compliant). 285 is correct. 305 hp for ram air is accurate. 98+ is 305 for regular ls1, ws6 package was rated at 320.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:10 PM

http://www.ws6.com/faq/4_1.htm

Hers a link to a 4th gen faq.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Will84
I think the RamAir is rated at 305... but I wouldn't put much stock in that. I've never seen a WS6 out-run a regular TA... stock vs. stock anyway. I even know people who have taken the stock RamAir set up off to put on a K&N or Moroso unit... and got better results.
Uhm, ok

The WS-6 Cars are rated at 305...

Never seen one eh? Hmm.. well, my buddy owned a 97 TA (Non WS-6) when I bought my car 4 years ago... his BEST ever at the track when he was stock was a 13.9. My FIRST time down the track after I bought the car (COMPLETELY stock, minus a K&N Filter) I ran a 13.76, that was my first 1/4 mile run EVER in my life.

The WS-6 does make more HP than a stocker, and I see absolutly NO reason one would even want to remove a straight-shot intake for a Moroso unit, unless they didn't have a clue. Like asked in another topic, I'd love to see the proof of your CAI Vs WS6 RA Claims?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:41 PM

My 97 T/A WS6 auto (3.23s) ran a 13.87 down the track stock.

I had a 93 T/A before ,both were almost identicall optioned except for the bigger wheels and RA on the 97, with the cat cut out and a Moroso CAI I ran 13.9s.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
Uhm, ok

The WS-6 Cars are rated at 305...

Never seen one eh? Hmm.. well, my buddy owned a 97 TA (Non WS-6) when I bought my car 4 years ago... his BEST ever at the track when he was stock was a 13.9. My FIRST time down the track after I bought the car (COMPLETELY stock, minus a K&N Filter) I ran a 13.76, that was my first 1/4 mile run EVER in my life.

The WS-6 does make more HP than a stocker, and I see absolutly NO reason one would even want to remove a straight-shot intake for a Moroso unit, unless they didn't have a clue. Like asked in another topic, I'd love to see the proof of your CAI Vs WS6 RA Claims?
Alright... got a dam smartass eh? Hmm.. .14 difference... there can be that much difference in 2 cars optioned exactly the same. I can't provide any proof to speak of... I don't bookmark every article with hopes of running across some dick head to argue with. But there's been discussions on this subject before... and no, I'm not gonna take the time to search for it. There has also been test done in Chevy High Performance about the Ram-Air cars vs. non.. they found no average difference in the 1/4 ET. There have been several people substitute an after-market unit for the SS style ram-airs... probly less for TA's.

I'm not saying anything negative about having the Ram-Air (cause obviously your feelings got hurt)... I wouldn't change it. I'm sure there's not much to be gained if any. The person who did that may not have a clue... but i have heard of people getting less restiction from an aftermarket set-up.

Everything varies from car to car. If you can get a Ram Air car great, but don't worry about it if you can't find a good one, cause the HP difference is really nothing to speak of.

I'm not gonna get started with an argument here... so I'm not gonna "roll-eyes" or whatever, but for future reference, you can kiss my ***.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:26 PM

I can kiss your ***? Y? because of your immature comment? Because I've had MANY discussions about this before, because I own a WS6, and know it inside and out? Because I know the laws of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics?

You stated in your thing about the SS RA, it's a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT BEAST... especially when compared to the WS6 RA setup...
Old 08-18-2004, 04:51 PM

"I can kiss your ***?" - Yes

"Y?" - Because you're a funny little man and I don't like you.

"Because of your immature comment?" - eh?... Hmm.. I guess your initial immature comment hasn't crossed your mind.

"Because I've had MANY discussions about this before, because I own a WS6, and know it inside and out?" - Well I guess that could be it... I've owned 6, 4th gens... none of them were RamAir though, so evidently you know a lot more about them than I do. You ask for proof that the CAI is better than the RamAir (that I never said)... which I can't provide (I'm only going by what I've heard discussed) ... since you have had MANY discussions about this, maybe you can provide proof that the RamAir is, in fact, better than the CAI. I hope you're not basing all of this on that blistering .14 second difference.

"Because I know the laws of fluid mechanics and thermodynamics?" - Hey! great! me too... I'm a Mechanical Design Engineer for GE... I design cooling systems for industrial computers... maybe I could help get you in.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:54 PM

You two need to take it down a notch.
Old 08-18-2004, 05:11 PM

Yeah you're right... we shouldn't be arguing like children. Sorry bout that 97FormulaWS-6. The nearest track to me is only an eighth... personally, I have seen no noteworthy difference between the RamAir TA's and their non-RamAir equivalents. Peace.

on second thought.... kiss my ***.

j/k
Old 08-18-2004, 05:25 PM

Well, seeing Mr Engineer - answer your own question then... Seeing you design coolent systems...

Piping losses, and heat transfer during flow rates... think about it logically and then think about your statements... Your logic is flawed...

Oh, and I'm not a "Little" man, your comments seem to be of someone whom has "little-man" sindrome though...

and my immature comment; as in rolling my eyes at someone who is stating they've NEVER seen a WS6 beat a non-WS6 car... uhm, yea... think about that comment, just because you've never seen it, it doesn't and hasn't happened..

But hey, whatever you want to believe I'll leave you and this post alone.. seeing Mr I work for GE as a Engineer who designes Coolent systems, but doesn't logically see the piping and heat transfer issues between a CAI, SS RA, and WS6 RA..

Quick Reply: spec's on a 1997 trans am