LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

speed density conversion ?'s...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by dhirocz
Im a soldier. I dont make THAT much money. Building this motor is gonna cost me almost 10 grand to not cut corners. But it really isnt that much more than your typical high end 396...

Besides, Im the first person I know of to do this. I need to know if and how well the engine runs with the stock equipement before making changes. Anyone can install a SBC in an LT1 car with a different method of fuel management, but part of this is to make sure it works before making changes like that. If I didnt do it that way, it kind of defeats the purpose.

I was thinking that maybe the '93 ECM would fit in place of the '94. I'd have to check. I have access to one at home. At a minimum, if the pinouts are the same but the connectors are different, I could always get the connectors and replace the ones on the harness or add some for easy swapping. Just a thought.
Where you at now? My nephew is in Baghdad now.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:53 PM

Why even keep the LT1 PCM ? Nomatter what sensors you change or remove, you will always be stuck with a 7200 rpm hard rev limiter. The only reason I can think to keep the pcm is to keep the stock gauge cluster and transmission operation. You have a t56 though.

Megasquirt is only going to get cheaper and easier to tune, and the big name aftermarket ignition systems have already been proven.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:54 AM

Read the posts again. Everyone always askes me why Im keeping the stock PCM, and the answer is always the same; because part of this project is to show that it can be done as an engine swap. Not everyone can afford a top dollar engine management system on top of a built stroker motor, some people can barely afford the motor. For those people, this is their answer...

It's the same reason why I just dont throw a blower on my 383, or at least why I didnt at first. On top of that, alot of people who have DFI dont really need it IMO. Alot of them dont even have much of a concept of how to use it or tune it. This is the method that requires the least brain surgery. I dont want to get caught up in dumping a nice set of heads worth of money into something that I might not necessarily need. It's not a MAX effort street or race car so there is no need unless this swap shows me otherwise...in that case, I will upgrade.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 AM

In that case, you really should check out the MSII systems. I bet that the price to tune and make the stock not-so-great LT1 ECM work right is on par with a real-time tunable MS setup. $410.