LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Speed inc 383 internally or externally balanced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:55 PM

Speed inc 383 internally or externally balanced?

Got my 383 le2 h/c/i car dynoed by Ed W. today final numbers were 436.9 rwhp and 407.2 rwtq through a 6 speed and 3.42 10 bolt. My new alt. died, had bad gas, and got a slight miss towards the end and those were the numbers. I've got more compression than we thought so I need to feed the thing some octane. Now Ed said he noticed a vibration I think it might be caused by the fact that I put a flywheel for a normal lt1 on it. Never got specs from speed inc so I was hoping someone here would know. Thanks for any and all help.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:05 PM

best bet would be to call up speed inc and ask them.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:58 PM

Why oh why can't there be one LE/BRE application that can just dyno CLEAN w/out all these "bad gas/bad plugs/bad wires/bad dyno/bad mood/bad day..... excuses?
Originally Posted by sheikss
Got my 383 le2 h/c/i car dynoed by Ed W. today final numbers were 436.9 rwhp and 407.2 rwtq through a 6 speed and 3.42 10 bolt. My new alt. died, had bad gas, and got a slight miss towards the end and those were the numbers. I've got more compression than we thought so I need to feed the thing some octane. Now Ed said he noticed a vibration I think it might be caused by the fact that I put a flywheel for a normal lt1 on it. Never got specs from speed inc so I was hoping someone here would know. Thanks for any and all help.
If you put a stock flywheel on an internally balanced engine that is not one of the brightest things to do. Getting info about YOUR engine on a website is also not one of the brightest things you can do. Don't be shy and call your engine builder. I take it you didn't get a build sheet either?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:03 AM

No excuses from me I didn't realize how improtant and sensitive gas is. I'm upset that a new alt died but oh well tank gets dumped today, alt gets replaced, plugs regaped and I should be good to go. After almost 2 years I'm glad this thing is finially tuned and running.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:06 AM

Yes, but what about the vibration? For the love of all things holy you best not ignore that or you could end up w/ an oil pan full of bearing material.
BEFORE you start that engine again you should find out how the rotating assy. was balanced.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Why oh why can't there be one LE/BRE application that can just dyno CLEAN w/out all these "bad gas/bad plugs/bad wires/bad dyno/bad mood/bad day..... excuses?
see the sign

I do agree that (all) people should get there **** together before making a thread.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:34 AM

If you put a stock flywheel on an internally balanced engine that is not one of the brightest things to do. Getting info about YOUR engine on a website is also not one of the brightest things you can do. Don't be shy and call your engine builder. I take it you didn't get a build sheet either?

Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed,go easy on the guy,we all cant have 7000 post and know everything........
Old 09-25-2007, 08:46 AM

Enough bitchin'! Chill out all.

Find out if internally balanced and then if it is (and you are willing enough) take off the flywheel and 0 balance it along with the PP. The original FW was balanced with the engine internals so will not be 0 balanced.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by rob97ss
Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed,go easy on the guy,we all cant have 7000 post and know everything........
Yeah.. 7K posts in a span of almost 10 years w/ an average of 2 posts a day and this has nothing to do with "knowing it all." Sorry but that angle is weak. Now before being blinded with emotion and posting something else which doesn't pertain to my question read the following:
The fact of the matter is every time there is a dyno sheet posted up there is ALWAYS a list of excuses as to why it didn't make more power. Regardless if they're valid or not just get **** fixed and make a clean pass and post thread. Not that difficult.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:19 PM

Yeah.. 7K posts in a span of almost 10 years w/ an average of 2 posts a day and this has nothing to do with "knowing it all." Sorry but that angle is weak. Now before being blinded with emotion and posting something else which doesn't pertain to my question read the following:
The fact of the matter is every time there is a dyno sheet posted up there is ALWAYS a list of excuses as to why it didn't make more power. Regardless if they're valid or not just get **** fixed and make a clean pass and post thread. Not that difficult.

I agree with ya SS RRR, you do see a lot of people with LE setups talk about bad gas/not enough octane n such. I think it is due to the reason that LE setups use such high compression. The numbers arent bad for a head/cam setup, about average for the LE setups i would say.
Get it fixed and get it back on that dyno and let us know how it goes.

I also agree that you should not start that engine until finding out about your balance
Old 09-25-2007, 05:54 PM

With your last two sentences said, where are your track times?
And sheikss, nice numbers, just get the vibration fixed pronto. Then work out the bugs. And yes, there are always problems to be had with a new build and theres no disgrace asking for help. That's what this board is for. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Banned

if the engine is internally balanced and you have a stock flexplate you can cut the wt. off of it.

Good luck.....be sure to get it fixed.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:47 PM

Speed inc said they were pretty sure they internally balance their engines. I'm going to have the flywheel and clutch balanced as they recommended and see if that helps. As for SS RRR I'm not as ignorant as you might think. If speed inc would have sent a spec sheet as I requested letting me know info such as how far in the cylinder the piston was I would have been able to get the right head gasket and not worry about the compression ratio. I decided to go with the impala head gasket now I know that it wasn't the smartest choice, live and learn though. Also I must not be to ignorant as least according to Ed Wright because he was rather impressed with the workmenship. I'm sure having a father that was a gm technician for 20+ years isn't a bad thing. However this was something alittle different than stock northstars and such. I sure wish I had meet you while I was gathering parts and building this car hell I would have made a million plus horsepower with your knowledge. As for the gas blame alittle gas station in Tuttle oklahoma and blame the gas station in Alabama for mixing desiel and gas togather for another guy on here. As for everyone else who has helped thanks. I'd rather learn from someones alse mistakes, to me that seems smarter and easier on my wallet.

Last edited by sheikss; 09-25-2007 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:51 PM

And yes I know the vibration isn't good that's why I'm here. Once again thanks for the help.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 PM

Thanks z-rated I never thought that this much money could be spent on an lt1. Hell I never thought it would be a year and a half into it and just now be getting dynoed.

Quick Reply: Speed inc 383 internally or externally balanced?