LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Speed inc 383 internally or externally balanced?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by jon_we4
Also it would be a recommendation to speak with Larry the person who spec'd out the motor to begin with and worked with you on the sale as he is the most familiar with it.
Would it be too much to ask that whatever sales rep. answered the phone put him in touch with the person who made the sale?
Old 09-27-2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Would it be too much to ask that whatever sales rep. answered the phone put him in touch with the person who made the sale?
Larry is acctually the service manager and the resident LT1 expert. His duties usually keep him in the back by the tech's or running around the shop. So its not the easiest to get him on the phone. However if the customer requests to talk to Larry we patch them thru - sometimes they will have to leave a voice mail and he will return the call later on.

I sense a sarcastic tone in your post. Just like posts earlier in this thread. I already apologized and explained the situation. If he would have inquired back when he received the motor I could have a 100% definite answer. Because some time has passed I have to say its 99.9% instead of a solid "yes". Not only that but you also are more than welcome to stop by and see what a "interweb" shop looks like. Would you like to see our camaro? Few weeks back we took it on a little 1300 mile road trip. 2nd place for small block power adder in Hot Rod's Drag week. Constant 8.6's at 160 + mph the entire week. 1st place was a 1/10th faster and much more of a 'race car'. Or hey ... if you came over a year ago before Jim took his car apart for his new setup you could see an LT1 camaro that drove from Chicago to North Carolina and with out any special aerodynamic modifications ran a standing mile in 199 mph, then drove back to Chicago.

Anyone can build a fast race car ........ its not often you see a fast dependable and totally drivable street car that performs at the level we are able to maintain.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:58 PM

jon we4, I calle dseveral times after receiving the motor to let larry know I had no specs and that I needed to know how far the piston was in the hole so I could order the right head gasket. He said he would call back everytime and I had to place the call to get told that he didn't have the specs yet. My motor took ahile to ship. Alot longer than I was told and Larry is the only person I've dealt with with a few exceptions in which I talked to John. I will remove the weight, I was also told by someone there about 3 days ago to get the clutch and flywheel balanced so that's what I'm going to do. The car will not be started until this is fixed.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:06 PM

Larry is acctually the service manager and the resident LT1 expert. His duties usually keep him in the back by the tech's or running around the shop. So its not the easiest to get him on the phone. However if the customer requests to talk to Larry we patch them thru - sometimes they will have to leave a voice mail and he will return the call later on.
Anyone can build a fast race car ........ its not often you see a fast dependable and totally drivable street car that performs at the level we are able to maintain.
That's fantastic. However that is none of my concern. My concern is even after a customer spends several thousand dollars on one of your products they still have to go through a crap shoot along with red tape to find someone who just might know about their applciation. Sorry, but "We're pretty sure it's internally balanced.." is a sucky answer to someone who has spent hard earned cash to figure out a problem. The other issue in which I believe how this situation has been handled in a retarded fashion is you cannot even supply a build sheet once the motor is shipped? Absolute crap. This is a KEY reason why I decided to stay with a local and is another reason why I'd never recommend anyone to a clownhouse that cannot supply the correct info even if the customer goes out of their way to call for it... Or is it you have to be "Jim" before someone will get off their swamp *** and answer a few simple questions...
How about if you aren't sure of the answer you find someone who knows 100%? Is that too much to ask? Christ I figured that would've been taught in Customer Service 101...
Old 09-27-2007, 07:24 PM

The motor was built a long time ago and the honest answer is that it is 99.9% balanced. Sorry, but I dont resort to name calling or bashing to get my point across. I could just lie and say "sure its internally balanced" but thats not I do things.

I spoke with Larry tonight, he isn't by a computer right now but he will call you sheikss just to make that it is addressed. Just to make sure we have an up to date phone # shoot him an email at larry@ls1speed.com along with the best time to call.

And Jim is a fabricator / tuner at our facility.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:33 PM

The motor was built a long time ago and the honest answer is that it is 99.9% balanced. Sorry, but I dont resort to name calling or bashing to get my point across. I could just lie and say "sure its internally balanced" but thats not I do things.
It's not your god damned money. Not mine either, but I hate to see people get **** on by those who would rather take money and refuse to answer questions unless a thread like this is made! Sure you could lie about it, but then you and your clownhouse would look worse for the wear because of it and you know that. No reason to try to use that angle to make yourself look noble.
99.9% sure is not good enough. Don't care how long ago the block was built. How difficult is it to ATTACH A BUILD SHEET?! Or does the clownhouse refuse to create a build sheet and just goes by some default specs to throw short blocks together?
And Jim is a fabricator / tuner at our facility.
That explains alot...
Old 09-27-2007, 08:27 PM

No problem jon we4. I'm not upset just alittle disapointed that's all. I'll send the number, my main concern is this vibration. It sucks it's got to sit some more.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:50 PM

That's fantastic. However that is none of my concern. My concern is even after a customer spends several thousand dollars on one of your products they still have to go through a crap shoot along with red tape to find someone who just might know about their applciation. Sorry, but "We're pretty sure it's internally balanced.." is a sucky answer to someone who has spent hard earned cash to figure out a problem. The other issue in which I believe how this situation has been handled in a retarded fashion is you cannot even supply a build sheet once the motor is shipped? Absolute crap. This is a KEY reason why I decided to stay with a local and is another reason why I'd never recommend anyone to a clownhouse that cannot supply the correct info even if the customer goes out of their way to call for it... Or is it you have to be "Jim" before someone will get off their swamp *** and answer a few simple questions...
How about if you aren't sure of the answer you find someone who knows 100%? Is that too much to ask? Christ I figured that would've been taught in Customer Service 101...
Set the record straight, i'm the person he spoke to.

A customer calls me up around 3:30, asks me "is my 383 engine internally balanced?"
An engine that was built over a year ago, i'll make a pretty bold statement, all Eagle 4340 1pc. rear seal crankshaft are INTERNALLY balanced, however....... their is an Eagle cast crankshaft 3.75" internal or external, depending on how he may have decided to have the engine built if this crankshaft was used it could have been external balanced.

Thats where "We're pretty sure it's internally balanced.." comes in.

That being said, like I told him over the phone he should be using a 0 balance flywheel. And for extra measure the clutch and flywheel can be balanced.

do we have an understanding?

Last edited by Fraser434; 09-27-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser434
do we have an understanding?
Two words:
BUILD SHEET
Do we have an understanding?
WTF does the time he calls have anything to do with anything? More bitching? My points still stand.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:30 AM

Two words:
BUILD SHEET
Do we have an understanding?
WTF does the time he calls have anything to do with anything? More bitching? My points still stand.
Heres the issue.

condition: Engine has vibration
cause: internally balanced engine is using a flywheel with counter balance on it (we assume)
Repair: Use 0 balance flywheel or remove counter balance

At no point in their does the build sheet offer a solution for that.

While I agree a build sheet carries importance, what does 1850 bobweight mean to anyone who doens't build engines?

Before I worked at speed inc. I purchased a short block from one of the big name engine shops in Texas, and yeah no build sheet.

Not the first this situation has happend with mixing int./ext. balanced parts, probley won't be the last.

Last edited by Fraser434; 09-28-2007 at 04:35 AM.