LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Spinning bearings due to oil cooler.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 02:50 AM

Spinning bearings due to oil cooler.

Spun the main bearing on my 396 motor which was only used for about 2k miles. Now I’m in the process of rebuilding it with a new block, new crank and new pistons and the other usuall parts. I’ve installed the stock engine back which had only 20K miles.
Went to the track on the test and tune day and the engine stalled in the burnout, and I haven’t raised the rpm past 5.5K, and it turned out that I’ve spun a bearing on this motor as well.
Now this is a completely stock engine from intake manifold to oil pan, the only common thing between the 396 and this LT1 is the oil cooler. My builder thinks that this is the culprit, and because of lack of other logical reasons I tend to agree.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:48 AM

Re: Spinning bearings due to oil cooler.

Ouch, that sucks Dude
How was your oil pressure?
The stock oil cooler is definiately not a good design (do a search), I got rid of it. I suggest, if you need an oil cooler, you get a good one..
Old 06-27-2005, 10:20 AM

Wink Re: Spinning bearings due to oil cooler.

Why do you need a new blk for a spun bearing? If you didn't throw a rod your blk should be alright. I've damaged my bearings twice in my 396 and all I did was polish the crank but new bearings and rings and went on my way. Unless you damaged the crank and it's not forged I could see possibly getting a new crank, but crank, pistons, rods, and block? Sheesh.

I feel your pain though. I'm in the process myself w/ the 4th rebuild. Well the bearings and repolishing the crank anyways. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2005, 11:09 AM

I spun a bearing with less than 7 grand on my 97SS. I thought it was the cam install or maybe the head install, but I did have a factory SLP oil cooler as an option. My new short block doesn't have the oil cooler because the mechanic said he couldn't find one. I am however glad that I don't have one now. Reason: Seems that the oil cooler can collect crap that you don't get rid of during oil changes and maybe it can clog your oil system and starve the bearings.

I surely don't know, but my advice is to delete the cooler just in case.

As far a getting a new short block, I agree that it may not be necessary, but if you can get one for less than it would be to rebuild your present block then I guess that would be the way to go.

I was told by my mech to get one so I did. Found a new 4-bolt main for around $1700. Have been told by other mechanics that I probably didn't need to get a new block.JMHO
Old 06-27-2005, 12:32 PM

My block is damaged due to the spun #3 main bearing and to lesser degree the other mains as well. The bearing ate the cap and block sadle when it spun, that's why I need another block. I found a used standard LT1 4-bolt block for cheep and it's in good condition, will be using it for the buildup.
Yes that's the SLP cooler, and it'll have to go.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:46 PM

How do you like the performance of your Caprice with the 227 and how does it compare with your F-body as far as performance?