LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Splayed LT1 caps?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 04:36 AM

Splayed LT1 caps?

Where do you get these? Summit only has them for Gen 1 engines.

Also can you drill the holes yourself if you use a flat end mill to provide a surface perpendicular to the drill bit?
Are you supposed to drill through to the water jacket?

Last edited by MikeGyver; 05-25-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 AM

IMO installing the caps is not a DIY project unless you are a machinist. Take it to an engine machine shop and have them buy and install the parts or don't do it.

Rich
Old 05-25-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Where do you get these? Summit only has them for Gen 1 engines.

Also can you drill the holes yourself if you use a flat end mill to provide a surface perpendicular to the drill bit?
Are you supposed to drill through to the water jacket?
I am 90% sure LT1 can take a gen 1 main cap(double check). However main caps is no where close to a DIY project.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Administrator

http://www.pro-gram.com/
Old 05-25-2009, 10:10 AM

I would use flat register ProGram caps. Some of the other caps use the stock two-bolt block register which makes them harder to setup and less effective in controlling cap movement - the whole purpose of adding extra main bolts. Might as well get the steel front while you're in there.

You'll need a good machine shop that has done this before and can align bore/hone the mains. You're best bet is to look for a good engine builder in your area.

3 centers - SB350C12F
Front - SB350F

Have you looked into the planned Dart LT1 SHP block?
Old 05-25-2009, 03:32 PM

I used eagle caps. Think I have a NIB set laying around somewhere too.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
IMO installing the caps is not a DIY project unless you are a machinist. Take it to an engine machine shop and have them buy and install the parts or don't do it.

Rich

Agreed. There is no way you do this at home IMO.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:30 AM

Why couldn't you do this at home?
Obviously it would have to be line bored afterwards...
Old 05-26-2009, 07:08 AM

The caps have to be fitted (very precisely) to the register.

Rich
Old 05-26-2009, 07:41 PM

If you have a good quality mill and the proper measuring tools you could do it at home, but this is not a job for the craftsman drill press in the corner of your garage...
Old 05-26-2009, 11:13 PM

Ive seen a brand that comes with a guide for a drill bit. You put the 2 center bolts on and using the guide, drill the outer holes. If you used a flat end mill to square up the drilling surface, it sounds fairly easy.

Could double check the registers with plastigauge.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 PM

Ive seen a brand that comes with a guide for a drill bit. You put the 2 center bolts on and using the guide, drill the outer holes. If you used a flat end mill to square up the drilling surface, it sounds fairly easy.

Could double check the registers with plastigauge.
Did you come on here looking for an honest response based upon many years of experience? or did you just want people to agree with whatever plans you came up with
Old 05-27-2009, 12:10 AM

Yes, I'm looking for an honest answer.
I trying to gather enough information to decided whether or not it's something I want to try. No offense to your experience or anything, but a mechanically competent person does not need superhuman capabilities of year of experience to do most things. Plus another point, the manufacturer of those splayed caps provides a method for the end user to do it by themself. If it was THAT difficult there's no way in hell they'd do that. There's plenty of these engines driving around that people have done themselves.
You can see how the typical "dont try it, you'll just ruin your stuff" answer isn't going to help here.

Last edited by MikeGyver; 05-27-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:30 AM

Yes, I'm looking for an honest answer.
I trying to gather enough information to decided whether or not it's something I want to try. No offense to your experience or anything, but a mechanically competent person does not need superhuman capabilities of year of experience to do most things. Plus another point, the manufacturer of those splayed caps provides a method for the end user to do it by themself. If it was THAT difficult there's no way in hell they'd do that. There's plenty of these engines driving around that people have done themselves.
You can see how the typical "dont try it, you'll just ruin your stuff" answer isn't going to help here.
Ok buddy

The manufacturer of those quasi splayed caps(milodon) which don't give you the benefits of a true flat cap still need to have the register precisely machined square to the main line and for the proper press, they also need to have the proper gap set up between the outer flange and the block, thirdly the drill bushing is not provided so that it can be done with a hand drill, it's there simply to help keep the bit aligned when in a milling machine.

Lastly I feel pretty insulted that you insinuate that my answers (which mimic those of others in this thread) are less than completely honest - I think there's quite a few people on this forum who would say they have benefited from my free advice and information over the years as I have never attempted to steer someone towards a conclusion that would result in my personal gain.

Done with this thread.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:55 AM

Not trying to step on anyones toes, just looking for the non-watered down answers. Thank you for your replies.

Quick Reply: Splayed LT1 caps?