LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Spring/Shock combo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 02:00 PM

Spring/Shock combo?

What is a good spring/shock combo for our cars that is also inexpensive? I won't use this for any type of AutoX but would like something better than stock. About a year ago, I purchased SLP takeoffs for $50 and installed them since mine were bad. Now I want something to sit a little lower, but not too low as I will be installing LT's soon. I also want to be a little more stable in the corners. The only suspension mod so far is a STB. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks,

Kyle
Old 03-21-2003, 02:05 PM

if you want to stiffen up your car inconjunction with complimenting any spring/shock combo...get some sub frame connnectors...
i'd look into BMR, they make tubular weld ins for $140 with a choice of color.

i'd also look at their springs, they are 1" drop springs with higer rates. that should give you a nice stance, good cornering but it shouldn't compromise ground clearance as much as the other 1.5-1.75" drop springs...and i think they are $200...
Old 03-21-2003, 07:24 PM

Do the BMR springs work well with the stock shocks? Keep in mind mine have about 10k miles on them. Thanks,

Kyle
Old 03-21-2003, 10:55 PM

Beefy spring and stock shocks is not going to improve cornering really, stock shocks suck, leave them with stock whimpy springs.

Unfortunately springs are cheap, good shocks are expensive, at least Bilsteins are relatively cheap now, but technically they should be revalved since they are setup for stock springs also.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:36 PM

i would personally NEVER recommend anyone to run lowering springs with stock shocks. Your ride will suck, and its a waste or time and money in my eyes. Trust me, i know, i ran it with the stock shocks. Now i got the Hal's!
Old 03-22-2003, 08:20 AM

That is what i have generally heard about lowering springs with stock shocks. That is why I amlooking for more of a apackage recommendation. I don't want to spend an arm an a leg but want something a little better than this 4x4 look I have going now. What about some of the SS and WS6/Firehawk suspension pieces? I know of those guys are upgrading.

Kyle
Old 03-22-2003, 08:54 AM

Suspension questions

Sam Strano (road racer) is awesome for prices and advice.. shoot him a message with what you're looking for or post it on his board. VERY helpful.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:33 AM

I'm a pretty discriminating driver. Besides drag racing I spent a number of years road racing in SCCA (an MGB, Formula Vee, and Formula Ford). And I do not agree with the idea that lowering springs and stock shcoks are a bad combo. I used Eibach Pro springs and stock shocks for a number of years and liked the combo. The shocks did wear out in about 10,000 miles though.

Rich Krause
Old 03-22-2003, 10:48 AM

Re: Suspension questions

Originally posted by jkipp84
Sam Strano (road racer) is awesome for prices and advice.. shoot him a message with what you're looking for or post it on his board. VERY helpful.
Sam has road raced, but he actually does AutoX and prefers it because its "closer competition." I'd rather drive fast and beat someone by 1 second, instead of .012 but that is what he likes about AutoX.

When you see Honduh Civics bouncing down the road, that is the result of a beefy spring, and a stock shock. Shocks are supposed to dampen a spring in 1 oscillation, the faster you go and the larger dip/bump you hit, stock shocks wont do the job. Frankly I would not like to find myself hitting my exaust on things, and having my front end slamming down at every hard fast bump. I had my springs probably 3 months before I had my shocks, save up and wait for the purchase, I'd do it right the first time.