LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Starter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 01:17 PM

Starter Problem

I've got a 1996 SS. And for the last month, the car has been taking several seconds to start. A month ago, it would take a few seconds to start. Now it takes up to 5 or 6 seconds to start. I live in South Florida, and it takes the longest to start in the blazing sun. Not as long when it's cloudy. I go to a technical school for networking, and their's an automotive shop here. So yesterday I bought a brand new starter from NAPA, and had them deliver it to me at school today. They just finished installling it, and it still takes a few seconds to start. It turns quicker, but this is a pain in the ***.
I want to sell my car, it has under 60,000 miles on the chasis, but I just want to fix the little things before I part with my baby. I've had it since 97', I'm the second owner, and the car has only 9,000 miles on the motor.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,

Adam - speedyzss

Old 07-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Sounds more like a fuel problem than a starter problem. Could be the heat is vaporizing the fuel, and a weak check valve in the fuel pump, a problem with the fuel pressure regulator, or leaky injector(s) is causing the pressure to be lost in the system, leaving vapor in the lines.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:34 PM

How much should that cost, and where's the best place to go?

Thank,

Adam - speedyzss
Old 07-18-2003, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Depends what the problem is....

New fuel pump can run $500 from a dealer, new FPR is a do-it-yourself for maybe $60. New injectors are $25-50 each. Problem is figuring out which (if any of these) it is.

To complicate things further, might be a sign of the Opti heading south... does it run OK once it starts? Any stumbles coming off idle, surging up to 2,000rpm.... occasional misfires from 4,500rpm up?

Another possibility could be a faulty coolant temperature sensor.

To check the fuel system, you need to measure the fuel pressure when you turn the key on, but don't start the engine. Then shut the key off and see how fast the pressure leaks down.

For the Opti, a scan would show if you are getting any trouble codes for the high and low resolution pulses from the optical sensor. A scan would also tell you is any of the cylinders are misfiring. A scan would also tell you if the coolant temp sensor is operating correctly.

If you know someone with AutoTap software, ask them to log the PCM from a cold start through warm up and some fairly vigorous driving. The right person could look at the log and possibly identify the source of the problem.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:18 PM

Thanks allot for the advice. There are no misfires, or stumbles. I do have a K&N 160 degree thermostat prgrammed with my Hypertech Power Programmer. I rarely race anymore, I guess it's my age. I still do an occassional 150 + whenever possible. But maybe 4 or 5 times a year. I don't abuse the car, tear *** or anything. But maybe it's the age of the car?

I appreaciate the advice, and if anyone has any other advice, please let me now. I REALLY hope it's not the opti!

Adam - speedyzss
Old 07-18-2003, 06:27 PM

ttt
Old 07-18-2003, 06:31 PM

btw

btw, I am getting ready to sell my car. But like I said earlier, I just have to get a few more things fixed up, then it's on the market.

Adam - speeedyzss
Old 07-18-2003, 07:59 PM

btw will an LT4 Kcok Module help this problem?

Adam - speedyzss
Old 07-18-2003, 08:42 PM

Re: ...

Originally posted by speedyZSS
btw will an LT4 Kcok Module help this problem?

Adam - speedyzss
No
Old 07-18-2003, 11:14 PM

Damn! I have one that I never put in. I thought it might help. Any other suggestions?

Adam - speedyzss

Old 07-19-2003, 02:08 PM

ttt
Old 07-19-2003, 03:28 PM

Lightbulb ...

I just put in Valvoline Fuel Injection Cleaner regarding the fuel proble, and my car started quicker than it has since the problem arose. Do you think that it's just a quick fix? Or will the problem come back?

My coolant light also came one, and I put Prestone DEXCOOL Premixed Coolant in it, and the light is still on.

Any ideas about that?

Adam - speedyzss
Old 07-19-2003, 05:07 PM

TTT
Old 07-19-2003, 05:47 PM

Your coolant sensor probably just happened to go bad. It seems like this happens to a lot of people. My low coolant light is also on, and you can either replace it or just unplug it.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:02 PM

Re: Starter Problem

Originally posted by speedyZSS
I've got a 1996 SS. And for the last month, the car has been taking several seconds to start. A month ago, it would take a few seconds to start. Now it takes up to 5 or 6 seconds to start. I live in South Florida, and it takes the longest to start in the blazing sun. Not as long when it's cloudy. I go to a technical school for networking, and their's an automotive shop here. So yesterday I bought a brand new starter from NAPA, and had them deliver it to me at school today. They just finished installling it, and it still takes a few seconds to start. It turns quicker, but this is a pain in the ***.
I want to sell my car, it has under 60,000 miles on the chasis, but I just want to fix the little things before I part with my baby. I've had it since 97', I'm the second owner, and the car has only 9,000 miles on the motor.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,

Adam - speedyzss

I had that problem and it was my colum ignition switch (the one at the bottom of the colum, not the actual ignition) A new AC Delco switch cost like 18$ at parts stores

Quick Reply: Starter Problem