LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by 96 mikez28
i would be double checking your intake manifold for vaccum leaks
which of my symptoms would indicate a vaccum leak?
Old 12-18-2007, 04:23 PM

here is a picture of the plugs

these NGK's have only been used for idleing and setting valve lash, a total of about 1 hour of total running time. Also the gray is anti-sieze
Old 12-18-2007, 04:41 PM
Administrator

You're putting way too much anti-sieze on them..... you put a tiny dab on a couple threads. Looks like you slopped it on with a paint roller.

The plugs are seriously fouled. Its pouring in fuel the engine doesn't need. The plugs are attempting to light the mixture, hence the carbon on everything. You have to figure out why its pouring in all the fuel.

What size injectors do you have, and was the PCM tuned for that? Did the car start fine before you mucked with the valve adjustment? Is your exhaust system complete? Are the O2 sensors screwed in and connected? Is the coolant temp sensor connected?

You really have provided very little info about the engine's history, how it ran previously, what has been done to the engine to adapt it to the car, etc.

You need to provide detailed info, or your chances of solving the problem are nil.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:54 PM

thank you for the reply injuneer.

i just finished installing new plugs with less anti-sieze

the injectors are stock.

the exhaust is now complete

When i adjusted the valves the MAF was removed, also i was running open headers during that time.

before i adjusted the valves the car started good it just wouldnt rev past 2500. after the adjustment it ran great. i shut it off for the night after the adjustment. the next day i installed the rest of the exhaust, and that is when it was having a hard time starting.

before and during and after the adjustment (maf removed) the car was running excessively rich (the fumes burned my eyes)

o2 sensors are screwed in and plugged in.

CTS is new and plugged in

a little history on the car

I bought it in october for 1700.00 it had a spun bearing. I bought a rebuilt engine from a guy a little ways from here for 450.00 . He said it was rebuilt less than 300 miles ago. he put the engine in the car and he sold it. the guy who bought the car from him wrecked it driving home from buying it. the guy who originaly had the car bought it back and parted it out. He said the engine ran great.

after i bought the engine i had to put in a cam from a 95 (the engine is a 93) due to dowl pin length. Since i had to put the cam in i had to replace the oil pan gasket. while i had the oil pan gasket off i discovered small gobs of white lithium grease (or some other heavy grease, but it was white) i also could see very prominate cross hatch patterns on the bottom of the cylinder. so i do believe it has been rebuilt.

I got the engine all back together and installed it. everything except the headers and airfoil are stock. Now here i am. I have never driven this car
Old 12-18-2007, 06:24 PM

the new spark plugs get it to start up good. however my fuel pressure is going crazy. here is a link to a video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=021NZl8pwgU

the noise in the background is the smog port open on the passenger side header
Old 12-18-2007, 07:56 PM

We need real time sensor data and at least O2s and fuel trims.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by speedygonzales
We need real time sensor data and at least O2s and fuel trims.
I will be using an OBD1 cable with jumpers attached according to shoe box's site. and datamaster. will this work or is there some other free program?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:20 AM
Administrator

Are you saying you do not have the AIR connections on the headers plugged? That will cause the engine too run extremely rich, because the exhaust gasses flowing past the connections "induct" air, the O2 sensors see the air, and cause it to run rich. Why would you run the engine with the work incomplete?

Does it start better the first time after you "clear" the PCM?
Old 12-19-2007, 05:48 AM

Good pickup... I chose to ignore that post

Originally Posted by Tex95Z
the noise in the background is the smog port open on the passenger side header
Originally Posted by Injuneer
Are you saying you do not have the AIR connections on the headers plugged? That will cause the engine too run extremely rich, because the exhaust gasses flowing past the connections "induct" air, the O2 sensors see the air, and cause it to run rich. Why would you run the engine with the work incomplete?

(Duh )make a sound like homer simpson
Old 12-19-2007, 07:54 AM

Yes, the AIR is unplugged on the passengers side. The drivers side is hooked up. when i tried to remove the air tube from the stock manifold it stripped so i ordered one from gmpartsdirect. they sent me the wrong one the one they sent me is from a caprice. I noticed this when I got the used regulator a couple weeks ago, so while i was there i took the rubber hose for this particular AIR tube as well. now I just need a threaded adapter to make it work

I was not aware that this would cause it to run rich, but it makes sense. Ill have it fixed by this evening!

Does this explain the erratic fuel pressure?

Last edited by Tex95Z; 12-19-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:04 AM

No!
Old 12-19-2007, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Definitely something wrong with either the actual fuel pressure or the gauge. Appears that the fuel pressure is at 40psi, then gradually drops to ~28psi, then jumps bakc up to 40psi, and the cycle starts again. No reason that should happen.

Have you checked the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold? Trying to figure out what would cause that wierd pressure pattern..... Almost like the FPR diaphragm is leaking, the pressure drops until the regulator fills up with fuel, the fuel burps into the manifold and the cycle starts all over again. If that was happening, you would see fuel in the vacuum line.

What is the fuel pressure, at idle, with the vacuum line disconnected? Does fuel leak out of the FPR? Does the pressure follow the same pattern with the vacuum line connected and disconnected?
Old 12-19-2007, 06:15 PM

Definitely something wrong with either the actual fuel pressure or the gauge. Appears that the fuel pressure is at 40psi, then gradually drops to ~28psi, then jumps bakc up to 40psi, and the cycle starts again. No reason that should happen.

Have you checked the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold? Trying to figure out what would cause that wierd pressure pattern..... Almost like the FPR diaphragm is leaking, the pressure drops until the regulator fills up with fuel, the fuel burps into the manifold and the cycle starts all over again. If that was happening, you would see fuel in the vacuum line.

What is the fuel pressure, at idle, with the vacuum line disconnected? Does fuel leak out of the FPR? Does the pressure follow the same pattern with the vacuum line connected and disconnected?

pressure @ idle with vac line off is about 49 and erratic. Still jumping all over the place.

no fuel in vac line
Old 12-19-2007, 06:51 PM

*update*

the erratic jumping fuel pressure is interminttet

Air pipes have been fixed

Last edited by Tex95Z; 01-10-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:03 PM

Now the cooling fans will not turn on. fuel pressure is still jumpy but it will hold steady for a few minutes.

Quick Reply: Starting issues