LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stay AWAY from the Granatelli fuel pump 'kit'

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 06:35 PM

Stay AWAY from the Granatelli fuel pump 'kit'

Today the plan was to head to my friend's house (member here) and install his new Moser 12 bolt and while the rear was out, a fresh fuel pump.

He purchased the Granatelli 'fuel pump kit' from Summit. What a piece of ****.

First of all, from what I understand, you're not supposed to use the stock fuel pump 'bucket' with the kit. Unacceptable for a supposed kit... then they give you crap rubber hose instead of a quality replacement. Nothing lines up, the rubber cap they give I'm not sure why they even supply, and the pump doesn't fit in the bucket as the inlet is not offcenter like the OEM unit.

Well, we took the rear out, got the tank down, only to get stuck today since he will now be ordering the racetronix kit after I did a bit more research on here today.

For a bit more info on this, check out this thread:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=169494

So now he's got no rear or tank in the car, exhaust all unbolted, because Granatelli false advertises and Summit is selling their crap.

Ugh... not only that, they supply the 307 pump, and not the high pressure 340 pump.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:50 PM

Re: Stay AWAY from the Granatelli fuel pump 'kit'

Originally posted by Javier97Z28

Well, we took the rear out, got the tank down, only to get stuck today since he will now be ordering the racetronix kit after I did a bit more research on here today.

\
>Jack at Racetronix knows his **** about fuel .
and the plug and play looks real easy .
Old 09-20-2003, 07:46 PM

Re: Stay AWAY from the Granatelli fuel pump 'kit'

So now he's got no rear or tank in the car, exhaust all unbolted, because Granatelli false advertises and Summit is selling their crap.

Ugh... not only that, they supply the 307 pump, and not the high pressure 340 pump.
No surprises there...
Old 09-21-2003, 08:19 AM

ttt
Old 09-21-2003, 11:46 AM

Yes this is my car Javier is talking about. Currently it is sitting in my garage with the a$$ end up in the air and a 1000 pieices laying everywhere because Grannatelli claimed this was a "direct replacement" for the stock fuel pump. Well it's not. DO NOT buy it. And if SUMMIT as any respect for themselves they will pull this product from their catalog. I'm p*ssed. Thanks to false advertisement my project has been delayed an entire week. Thanks Granatelli!!
Old 09-21-2003, 12:06 PM
WP

Mine's been in (and working great) for 3mths now!,no problems,no bucket,and still supporting over 450 crank hp!,I did replace the supplied rubber hose w/something better
Old 09-21-2003, 12:58 PM

I was VERY pleased with my Racetronix plug-n-play kit..Jack is the best guy in the world also..I had broken one of the pins off and you cant get them anywhere else besides him so he next-day aired them to me

Cody
Old 09-21-2003, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by WP
Mine's been in (and working great) for 3mths now!,no problems,no bucket,and still supporting over 450 crank hp!,I did replace the supplied rubber hose w/something better
Sure.. if you don't want to use the bucket.. great. But I'll go with the fact that the bucket is an OEM part and the product claims to be a "drop in replacement".. which is bull****.

Not only that, the bucket serves the purpose of protecting the fuel pump from running dry during cornering.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:44 PM

I just installed the Granatelle fuel pump "kit" on my car. It fits inside the bucket just fine. I used the rubber "cap" (rubber piece that goes on the top side of the pump) from the old pump and put it on the new pump. You will have to cut a couple tabs off the old cap to make it seat tightly on the new pump. Once you have it on there, pull it down real good...as far as it will go. Then slide the bucket lid over the top of the pump...it will side on there nicely if you work with it a little. Then, slide the pump into the bucket and let the pump sit inside the "ring" in the bottom. The cap will seat nicely on the bucket. Reinstall the pump into the bracket and bend the metal bracket (bracket that contains the two rubber "pins") up to hold the bucket in there tightly.

This is the method I used and everything works great...~ 43 PSI @ idle and 40-45 @ WOT. Good luck and if you have any questions, let me know. The pump will work with the stock bucket with the only modification being to the rubber cap.
Old 09-21-2003, 02:59 PM

Sure.. if you don't want to use the bucket.. great. But I'll go with the fact that the bucket is an OEM part and the product claims to be a "drop in replacement".. which is bull****.

Not only that, the bucket serves the purpose of protecting the fuel pump from running dry during cornering.
Not sure if this will help you, but I had to mod my bucket a bit so it would work with the Racetronix pump as well. You can see what I did HERE . You can take a look and see if it will help you out any.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:53 AM

ttt

thanks for the info Craig
Old 09-22-2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by 97bowtie
I just installed the Granatelle fuel pump "kit" on my car. It fits inside the bucket just fine. ....Then, slide the pump into the bucket and let the pump sit inside the "ring" in the bottom.
READ THIS:
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...cetronix+oring
Old 09-22-2003, 11:37 AM

I'm glad you posted this, I was about to do the same thing after my fiasco with trying to install this "LT1 specific" kit of theirs last weekend. I just sent it back to Summit last week and got my Racetronix kit from Thunder Racing by Friday, just in time to work on it this weekend. The Racetronix kit is well worth the extra $25, it had everything you need in their kit, including the proper glue (which you cant find anywhere!!!) the right seal for the bottom and top of the pump to fit inside the bucket, right wiring and the correct filter to fit the bucket (not the pump itself).

I was extremely pissed about getting stuck witht that incomplete GMS kit and I even cut the access panel which made it pretty easy, had I dropped the rear, the tank and everything else and found myself stuck with that thing I would have really gone through the roof!
Old 09-22-2003, 11:52 AM

Sorry to say but hope you guys know that Granatelle SUCKS. Alot of people should have learn from the MAF juck that they sell. Sorry you guys went through all that trouble.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:01 PM

could someone explain why I would just get the pump or get the entire kit?? I don't understand what I am gaining by spending the extra $80 on the entire kit from Racetronix....

Quick Reply: Stay AWAY from the Granatelli fuel pump 'kit'