LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stay AWAY from the Granatelli fuel pump 'kit'

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 05:03 PM

Hey Cody 97red SS>>> aren't you the person I bought the GTP stage II heads off of last year?
Old 09-22-2003, 05:04 PM

More HP support and the ability to add a pump booster as a PnP option if required.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:28 PM

I just installed the Granatelli kit.
I know its not the best but it was new in the box and I got a great deal on it.
I discarded the bucket and clamped the pump to the bracket, its running good and everything seems to be ok.
I know everyone thinks the bucket needs to be in there and you should do it the right way but hey, I am the guy with dryer duct ram air, spliced my own extensions into Bosch O2s, and yes I cut the trap door for the fuel pump install.
I got nothin better to do so I try the cheap way out first and see how it goes, works out most of the time for me.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:52 PM
WP

dont you just love spending more money on insecurities about your carD ,fact is why keep spending money on a car that has declining value,in other words just install the Gran. pump and drive it,it will outlast the car,at least till you tire of spending all that money and decide to get rid of it.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:59 PM

To me the Camaro has always been about goin fast for cheap.
So why spend gobs of money when I can keep goin fast for cheap.
If I had some exotic supercar then I would spend big money to fix it "the right way" but I don,t so I will just keep modding my car and trying to find the cheapest ways to go fast.
I look at it as a challenge, anyone can throw 50k at a car and go fast thats easy if you have the dough, but satisfaction comes from spending a fraction of the money to go just as fast.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by revtime
To me the Camaro has always been about goin fast for cheap.
So why spend gobs of money when I can keep goin fast for cheap....
That's right. The twenty bux you will save will pay for a 12 pack of beer, some Trojans and a Mc Happy Meal not to mention the extra enjoyment the installation of the 'G' pump will provide.

Just couldn't resist to throw that in there!

Jack
Racetronix

Last edited by Racetronix; 09-23-2003 at 12:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:30 PM

The pump I got from Jack at Racetronix is a very nice unit. It wasn't really that much more than the Granatelli pump. Plus it was pretty easy to put in. I would recommend it with out hesitation.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by F(ast)-body
could someone explain why I would just get the pump or get the entire kit?? I don't understand what I am gaining by spending the extra $80 on the entire kit from Racetronix....
the $150 kit from Thunder should be about all you need.. the glue/plastic hose/pump

I think the other one is more upgraded wiring harnesses and whatnot
Old 09-22-2003, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Javier97Z28
the $150 kit from Thunder should be about all you need.. the glue/plastic hose/pump

I think the other one is more upgraded wiring harnesses and whatnot
You're correct. Unless you plan on doing some serious mods to your car all you need is the $150 kit. It has everything you need to complete the install.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:21 AM

Never underestimate the joy a 12 pack, some Trojans, and Mc Happy meal can bring.
I got the G pump from somebody who could not use it so I got a real good deal, I might even be able to get a couple lap dances.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:51 AM

G pump

I too installed a G pump a few miles ago...

No problem without that bucket. In reference to that bucket - it's not for "preventing ... while cornering..."

Remember the inlet of the original pump is below and outside the bucket...

Most likely it's for the [ump's constant temperature enviornment especially when the fuel level is low.

good luck.
Old 09-23-2003, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by F(ast)-body
could someone explain why I would just get the pump or get the entire kit?? I don't understand what I am gaining by spending the extra $80 on the entire kit from Racetronix....
If you don't care about reusing your stock fuel bucket then get the GMS kit or any other lesser expensive kit that just includes a pump, a wiring harness adapter and a new hose. If you want to keep the fuel bucket, which I did, definitely spend the extra $25 and get the Racetronix kit. Do a search on "fuel bucket" and read some posts by Racetronix to find out about the importance of using the bucket.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:40 AM

Re: G pump

Originally posted by pasmado15
I too installed a G pump a few miles ago...

No problem without that bucket. In reference to that bucket - it's not for "preventing ... while cornering..."

Remember the inlet of the original pump is below and outside the bucket...

Most likely it's for the [ump's constant temperature enviornment especially when the fuel level is low.

good luck.
Wrong!
Old 09-23-2003, 11:49 AM

One thing I know that kills fuel pumps and that is heat. It seems to me that the bucket is there to keep fuel flowing and that keeps the pump cool and a longer life for the pump. My 2 pennies.
Old 09-27-2003, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by Newbie97
One thing I know that kills fuel pumps and that is heat. It seems to me that the bucket is there to keep fuel flowing and that keeps the pump cool and a longer life for the pump. My 2 pennies.
It's the fuel flowing through the pump that comes into contact with all the moving parts (gears, armature, brushes, magnets) which does most of the cooling.

Quick Reply: Stay AWAY from the Granatelli fuel pump 'kit'