LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Still not running, help

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:02 PM

Question Still not running, help

Car wasnt running right, figured it was because my CTS connections were messed up, replaced the CTS and the connector, still running really rough. Then, replaced the fuel filter, nasty stuff came out, put new one in.
Car started, idled, acted like it was fine, then after a minute or two started bogging and not wanting to stay running at all.

My guess is that the injectors are clogged, thats what its seeming like. So I bought a can of seafoam, and am waiting to put it in the system. Just wanted a quick check, where would the best place be to pour it? I dont know where exactly the vacuum line is that i'm supposed to be pouring it into.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:22 PM

What does pouring it into a vac line have to do with the injectors?

Even if it was an injector clogged, if you put it in the fuel, it probably won't help that either.

Pull the fuel rails up, remove the coil wire and have someone crank it over and look at the fuel patterns to be sure they are all the same.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by d2stephen
Car wasnt running right, figured it was because my CTS connections were messed up, replaced the CTS and the connector, still running really rough. Then, replaced the fuel filter, nasty stuff came out, put new one in.
Car started, idled, acted like it was fine, then after a minute or two started bogging and not wanting to stay running at all.

My guess is that the injectors are clogged, thats what its seeming like. So I bought a can of seafoam, and am waiting to put it in the system. Just wanted a quick check, where would the best place be to pour it? I dont know where exactly the vacuum line is that i'm supposed to be pouring it into.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Pouring seafoam in through a vacuum line can't clean the injectors...you have to go through the fuel line for that. They make injector cleaners that hook up to the schrader valve, that might be what you need.....
Old 11-06-2009, 03:35 PM

Well I was going to pour a little into the VAC line to see if I could burn off any gunk that was in there. But I guess i'll just dump the can in the gas tank, and do what speedygonzales suggested.

Here's a vid of how its acting. The camera shakes real bad when the cars trying to cut out. http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MVI_0280.flv
Old 11-06-2009, 03:54 PM

scan it for codes yet? if not do that first.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by LearJet
scan it for codes yet? if not do that first.
Well I really have no way to do that, im afraid if I bring it to Advance it wouldnt make it back. I guess im going to have to find a way to get that done though, its the smartest thing.

Oh, REALLY weird thing happened. I put the seafoam in my gas, started the car and let it idle. It will idle on its own now, but barely, if I go 1/4 gas it will hesitate, and then slowly raise RPMs.
But anyways, i've ALWAYS had the SES light on, well I revved the car up, the pedal kicked back and the "low trac" light came on. Then, the SES light turned off.
Im so lost as to whats going on with this thing right now.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Administrator

You've always had the SES light on, but you never had it scanned for codes?

You can buy a cheap OBD-II code reader for as little as $40.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You've always had the SES light on, but you never had it scanned for codes?

You can buy a cheap OBD-II code reader for as little as $40.
I did have it scanned months ago, it came back for the coolant temperature sensor, which I replaced today.
I just found it weird that I would rev, the "low trac" light came on, and the SES light came off.
I know why the lights off, because I replaced the part that caused the SES, but I just found the rev deal weird.

But anyhow, I just went out there, full bottle of seafoam in the tank, and went WOT a few times, car seems to be idling alot better now. Still not 100%, but it will actually stay running, and not try to die like before. I'll have to check out the fuel rail and everything on monday when im off work, hopefully the car can make it until then.