LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stock CD vs. Bose CD: Did search, still have quick question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2003, 09:01 PM

Stock CD vs. Bose CD: Did search, still have quick question

Does anybody know of a quick way to distinguish between the stock radio and the Bose radio? From some of pictures I have seen, some of the Bose radios don't have a Bose logo on the front, or am I mistaken?

Reason I am asking is that I want to replace my stock CD player with another one because it won't play CD's until it's warm in the car and even then luck plays a part. Someone on the board has a Bose head unit for sale, but I am wondering whether it will be plug and play?

Can anybody tell me how I can tell what I have without taking the door panels off to look for amps? Or do they ALL say Bose on the front?

Thanks!

Sam
Old 04-21-2003, 10:19 PM

I don't believe any of my speaker grills say Bose on them except the speaker grill located in the trunk that covers the sub. Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:33 PM

All bose systems have a sub in the back. There are 3 and 5 speaker bose systems.

3 speakers=2 door speakers and rear sub.

5 speakers=2 door speakers, 2 sail panel speakers and rear sub.

If you don't have the rear sub then you don't have bose.

John
Old 04-21-2003, 10:40 PM

Dose bose mean you have a CD or do they come in tape form to?
Old 04-21-2003, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by FastZinTennessee
All bose systems have a sub in the back. There are 3 and 5 speaker bose systems.

3 speakers=2 door speakers and rear sub.

5 speakers=2 door speakers, 2 sail panel speakers and rear sub.

If you don't have the rear sub then you don't have bose.

John
That's what I needed to know! Thanks!

Sam
Old 04-21-2003, 10:58 PM

If you're interested, I've got a complete bose system out of my 96 SS. 5 speakers
2 front with amps
2 rears
rear sub with amp and enclosure

Let me know.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Blue89Bird
If you're interested, I've got a complete bose system out of my 96 SS. 5 speakers
2 front with amps
2 rears
rear sub with amp and enclosure

Let me know.
Well, I have heard enough about the reliability of these radios (Bose or not) not to mess with it. I guess that's the reason a lot of people have taken it out of their cars... To solve my problem, I'll probably go with a CD changer in the trunk with a RF modulator. I don't want to go with an aftermarket radio because I park with the top down a lot in the summer and I don't want to have to carry a front panel with me all the time. Besides, even if you take it with you, they'll still get in the car figuring you put it under the seat or in the glovebox...

Thanks for the offer tho!

Sam
Old 04-22-2003, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by Sam95ZNoTop
Well, I have heard enough about the reliability of these radios (Bose or not) not to mess with it. I guess that's the reason a lot of people have taken it out of their cars... To solve my problem, I'll probably go with a CD changer in the trunk with a RF modulator. I don't want to go with an aftermarket radio because I park with the top down a lot in the summer and I don't want to have to carry a front panel with me all the time. Besides, even if you take it with you, they'll still get in the car figuring you put it under the seat or in the glovebox...

Thanks for the offer tho!

Sam
that being the case, I've got an alpine 6 disk changer with an rf modulator. chm-s620
$125 shipped and its yours.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:11 PM

that being the case, I've got an alpine 6 disk changer with an rf modulator. chm-s620
$125 shipped and its yours.
I was checking online with the model #, but that is not a model with RF modulator I did read that it will interface with some Bose factory headunits, did you do that? Or did you get a separate RF modulator? If so, does it have a display and remote etc...? I also saw a CHM-S665RF that is supposed to be a S620 with RF modulator?

Which one do you have? Also, where did you have it mounted in your car? Do you still have the brackets etc...

Didn't mean to bombard you with ?'s... I am pretty interested if it's not gonna be too much wiring...

Thanks!

Sam

P.S.: I also need a new waterpump. You wouldn't have that laying around also, would you?
Old 04-22-2003, 12:55 PM

The actual CD Changer is a chm-s620
It also has an RF modulator. It looks like this:
http://www.speedsound.com/tek9.asp?p...cific=jpnrlqr4
i don't know if its the same model number, but it looks just like that and has a remote as well.
I have all of the brackets, it was mounted in the trunk on the passenger side, right next to where the spare tire was.
As far as wiring its really easy, it has 3 wires, power, ground, and turn on, and the antenna wire goes in between the antenna and the factory radio.

Originally posted by Sam95ZNoTop
I was checking online with the model #, but that is not a model with RF modulator I did read that it will interface with some Bose factory headunits, did you do that? Or did you get a separate RF modulator? If so, does it have a display and remote etc...? I also saw a CHM-S665RF that is supposed to be a S620 with RF modulator?

Which one do you have? Also, where did you have it mounted in your car? Do you still have the brackets etc...

Didn't mean to bombard you with ?'s... I am pretty interested if it's not gonna be too much wiring...

Thanks!

Sam

P.S.: I also need a new waterpump. You wouldn't have that laying around also, would you?
Old 04-22-2003, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by RedZ-28
Dose bose mean you have a CD or do they come in tape form to?
They come in both and interchange by plug and play..
Old 04-22-2003, 11:04 PM

The actual CD Changer is a chm-s620
It also has an RF modulator. It looks like this:
http://www.speedsound.com/tek9.asp?p...cific=jpnrlqr4
i don't know if its the same model number, but it looks just like that and has a remote as well.
I have all of the brackets, it was mounted in the trunk on the passenger side, right next to where the spare tire was.
As far as wiring its really easy, it has 3 wires, power, ground, and turn on, and the antenna wire goes in between the antenna and the factory radio.
Thanks for the offer, but after thinking about it a little more, I think I will get something with more discs and possibly also MP3 playback.
Thanks for responding to all my questions so promptly!

Sam
Old 04-23-2003, 09:26 PM

that little 5" speaker in the back is supposed to be a sub??