LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

stock head ported or aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 10:15 PM

So no one should try them until they are proven by someone else. Man, that could take a while...
Old 08-15-2008, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by seawolf06
Check out AI's website. That's the only place I've seen documented numbers. Either LE or Bret Bauer has done work with them and I believe they passed 300cfm. There are many threads on that, so just search and stop thread hijacking.
Its not thread hijacking.... Here is talk about the darts (aftermarket)and stock heads... I remember talking with Dwayne about the Darts before and pretty much what Dwayne posted was what he said then.... months ago.....
Just cause someone can grind the snot out of the head to get it to flow doesn't mean it'll perform either..... I have sorta had first hand experience with this, Dwayne knows what I am talking about.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:03 AM

In my opinion an Ai 200cc ported stock casting will work fine in most cases, with plenty of room to grow.
Just my .02
Kory
Old 08-16-2008, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
It is good that some guys want to try new things, I am not saying nobody should try the Darts I am saying you guys should stop pretending they are great till they are PROVEN to be at least very good, and that has not happened.
Reread this slowly.

Originally Posted by seawolf06
So no one should try them until they are proven by someone else. Man, that could take a while...

I am saying that those why try new things need to understand they are ginea pigs and not blindly believe that everything not-stock is better.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by 94zgreenmachine
Considering the darts ,assembled will run close to$1500, porting the stock casting will cost a little less or at least as much than the Darts and they will perform better.
I found them for well under $1400 shippped.

How long did it take before ported stock casts were proven to work well?
Old 08-16-2008, 01:19 PM

I cannot find any documentation were these heads will work with the LT1 platform but if they will work I think I'll try a set I've had several set of Dart heads on carb setups and they preform great for me..

Heres where AI flow tested these heads bone stock...

Old 08-16-2008, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by LSWHO
I found them for well under $1400 shippped.

How long did it take before ported stock casts were proven to work well?
The price I am referring to is from Summit and those are the larger dual spring heads. They come cheaper for the single spring head.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:07 PM

I noticed that AI flowed those heads up to .700 and I belive the ones I looked at on jegs site spring were good up .500 whats the part number on summits site for the dual springs and what is their max lift
Old 08-16-2008, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by whyrun
I noticed that AI flowed those heads up to .700 and I belive the ones I looked at on jegs site spring were good up .500 whats the part number on summits site for the dual springs and what is their max lift
Here is the summit link for the Dual spring

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Summit single spring

Summit bare head

From Darts site. I can't open the spec sheet, maybe you'll have better luck!
http://www.dartheads.com/products/sb...ro1-heads.html
Old 08-17-2008, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by whyrun
I cannot find any documentation were these heads will work with the LT1 platform but if they will work I think I'll try a set I've had several set of Dart heads on carb setups and they preform great for me..

Heres where AI flow tested these heads bone stock...

and any REPUTABLE heads guy will tell you there is more to this stuff than flow.
Read the second paragraph on AI's Dart page, he comments on quanity vs. quality and says they suddenly drop off.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:52 AM

Caprice what exactly are you trying to say I'm not following you??
Old 08-17-2008, 10:14 AM

I am saying the flow chart means little, especially when the guy who put it on his site says the flow lacks quality.

Flow charts are just a simple means for the layman to try and compare heads, does NOT mean it is a good way to compare heads. A steady flow like these test measure is nothing like what happens in a running engine.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:56 PM

Ok So if flow numbers and test aren't important, why do we even fool with it then, and not just dyno or track test every set of heads ported and leave the flow bench behind.. So if flow numbers mean nothing why does le for instance offer 3 stages of porting why not just offer 1 stage if diffrent flows dont mean anything?
Old 08-17-2008, 05:28 PM

It is not completely meaningless just vastly less meaningful than most people think it is. Reason this stuff gets posted is marketing, like I said the layman wants a way to compare, this is something simple to look at and think you learned something.

Marketing marketing marketing leads most people to think crap is good and overlook the truely good, because in most cases, the company doing truely good work sinks money into R&D rather than marketing.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:48 PM

Yeah I understand what your saying there for sure, but On the other hand would you expect AI to say a dart head flows as good or better out of the box than one of their ported casing's. I personaly wouldn't expect them to tell us the honest truth about them it would be bad business for all head porters.. So saying yeah they flow good but not good quality, I would consider that a generic statement Which would be followed by I'm sure we can make them better with a little work.. I guess we will have to wait for some people to buck up a put these heads on some engines and see the numbers and track times to get the real data on these heads

Quick Reply: stock head ported or aftermarket