LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

stock lt1, whic flywheel and clutch kit.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2021, 02:08 PM

stock lt1, whic flywheel and clutch kit.

I will install flywheel and cluth kit to the stock engine. but what parts should I use so that it does not vibrate? (note, the weight pins in the old first flywheel have disappeared, I cannot switch to the new flywheel) https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...tN5R1QBg%3D%3D Is the kit here without vibration?or if there are other options that will not cause vibration problems please advise, thanks
Old 01-12-2021, 04:14 PM

Re: stock lt1, whic flywheel and clutch kit.

If the motor is still stock (read not rebuilt as a "internal" balanced motor) than the stock FW you list will work. Stock did not use the outer small holes with pins to balance them. The weight is cast in on the back side and then there will be a few drill dimples on the back side that balanced it to OEM specs
Old 01-13-2021, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Chimera96
If the motor is still stock (read not rebuilt as a "internal" balanced motor) than the stock FW you list will work. Stock did not use the outer small holes with pins to balance them. The weight is cast in on the back side and then there will be a few drill dimples on the back side that balanced it to OEM specs
this is what I understand. If I buy this set, there will be no vibration problem.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:33 AM

Buy a quality aftermarket from Summit or Jegs- Ram, Centerforce whatever. I would stay away from the Chinese crap the box stores sell today. There have been know vibration issues.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Germansheperd
Buy a quality aftermarket from Summit or Jegs- Ram, Centerforce whatever. I would stay away from the Chinese crap the box stores sell today. There have been know vibration issues.
I used the centric brand once and it was vibration. I got luk later, no problem. belly disintegrated. Then I got it again and there is vibration. The brands you call clutch kit are the most appropriate over $ 350, are they balanced? or is there a slightly better quality product? When it comes to quality, is it only made in USA?
Old 01-14-2021, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by rlf07
I used the centric brand once and it was vibration. I got luk later, no problem. belly disintegrated. Then I got it again and there is vibration. The brands you call clutch kit are the most appropriate over $ 350, are they balanced? or is there a slightly better quality product? When it comes to quality, is it only made in USA?
The pressure plates should be balanced
Old 01-14-2021, 02:25 PM

The pressure plates should be balanced
I don't really trust the mechanics here. Are there ready-balanced products that do not make any problems when worn?
Old 01-14-2021, 06:29 PM

With a quality aftermarket clutch kit the PP should be balanced correctly out of the box
Old 01-15-2021, 09:16 AM

What I have noticed over the last several years since OEM Valeo made PP were no longer available and any clutch brand you get uses the exact same China clone LT4 PP....that does not have the drill "balance" a stock one does.

The PP should be neutral balanced and the FW has a weight cast into it for rear, external (stock), balanced motors. On rare occasion some store brand replacement cluth kits do in fact have a real Valeo PP. I used to get them from Autozone but I suspect those are long gone now.

Pic of what a "balanced" PP (drill holes) look like:

stock FW balance holes and cast in weight

Old 01-15-2021, 09:53 AM

What I have noticed over the last several years since OEM Valeo made PP were no longer available and any clutch brand you get uses the exact same China clone LT4 PP....that does not have the drill "balance" a stock one does.

The PP should be neutral balanced and the FW has a weight cast into it for rear, external (stock), balanced motors. On rare occasion some store brand replacement cluth kits do in fact have a real Valeo PP. I used to get them from Autozone but I suspect those are long gone now.

Pic of what a "balanced" PP (drill holes) look like:

stock FW balance holes and cast in weight
you have a lot of experience in this matter.can you please help. it won't make me vibration on the low priced, stock engine. clutch kit and flywheel recommendation. as part code. please
Old 01-15-2021, 09:11 PM

Stock did not use the outer small holes with pins to balance them. The weight is cast in on the back side and then there will be a few drill dimples on the back side that balanced it to OEM specs
The weights in the flywheel contribute to the overall crank balancing. Factory service manual, page 6A3A-27 lower right paragraph specifically calls out to replace them when changing the flywheel(punch them out of the old one). Figure 27 shows them(item 134). Those factory manual pages attached. Since the OP doesn't have the old ones....I suppose he will just have to give it a go without them. If vibration issues develop and persist, then the crank might need to be rebalanced.

As a side note...those weights will not just disappear. They will be in the flywheel holes fairly tight. It took some force to punch them out when we first done it. If you don't see any, then they may have not been needed to balance the crank within spec.

Valeo has started to sell the clutch kits again. They are on RockAuto for about $240. I would assume they are still okay on the balancing as I've never had trouble from a Valeo plate before....however I did pick up two of the new kits....the 2nd because I flat forgot I had ordered the 1st a year prior. I think one had balance holes, the other didn't. I did call Valeo support on it and they said it should be balanced within spec and okay. I've yet to test either "new" kit as my prior Valeo plate is still a okay.

I will admit...even with Valeo selling the kit...I'm suspect of not seeing balance holes in the side...even a Valeo one....I've documented my Duralast clutch plate pain on this site.....I think I pulled the trans 4-5 times to get the problem fixed from an unbalanced plate. You can find links to those threads in the clutch sticky thread at the top of the drivetrain section.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Flywheel Balance Weights.pdf (568.6 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by ACE1252; 01-15-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:23 PM

Also on Rock Auto if you look at the LUK 04134 and bring up the pic you can see where it is drilled out and balanced. Makes sense because LUK is an OEM supplier.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:11 AM

Also on Rock Auto if you look at the LUK 04134 and bring up the pic you can see where it is drilled out and balanced. Makes sense because LUK is an OEM supplier.
now it vibrates (luk 04134) and there are holes in the photo but I have no holes. same but does not match the photo.

Last edited by rlf07; 01-16-2021 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:07 AM

now it vibrates (luk 04134) and there are holes in the photo but I have no holes. same but does not match the photo.
they must have used a stock photo then
Old 01-16-2021, 11:30 AM
Administrator

you have a lot of experience in this matter.can you please help. it won't make me vibration on the low priced, stock engine. clutch kit and flywheel recommendation. as part code. please
Your expectations are not realistic. There is no way anyone here who is not the manufacturer of the clutch can guarantee you that the product you receive will be perfectly balanced. Just because they bought a specific model # and had no problems with it, there is no way they can assure you that what you purchase and have shipped to Turkey will be EXACTLY the same as the product they purchased. As you can see from the comments 1) the manufacturer may change the sourcing of components; 2) the manufacturer may change the design of the product; 3) the manufacturer may not have 100% quality control.

Since it appears you bought a new clutch assembly, and it was not properly balanced, there must be someone/somewhere in the country of Turkey that has the equipment required to balance your current assembly, and is capable of doing so. You are not limited to having this work performed by a "mechanic".

It is not fair to expect someone to assure you WITH ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that the clutch you receive will be perfect. They can only tell you what their experience was IN THE PAST. You need to understand that because they received a good one, they cannot guarantee that you will also.

Quick Reply: stock lt1, whic flywheel and clutch kit.