LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stock MAF vs Ported MAF vs Granatelli

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 03:51 AM

You really need to keep your posts all in one thread.... we've been all through the 1.25V = 20"Hg MAP.... and I thought you understood that 1.25V is approx. 10"Hg MAP = 20"Hg vacuum, which is totally NORMAL for your car. Apparently you didn't believe my earlier explanation.
Whoa!!! Did I really ask for this information on this thread again??

But where is it on this thread. I just cant find it (?)
Old 01-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Administrator

But where is it on this thread. I just cant find it (?)
Originally posted by MentalCaseOne
Question for you guys. Mar car has a stock air intake. from ducting to heads. everything is stock.

In My scan report it Idles at 650RPMs, MAP reads 1.25volst (20Hg), and the sensors are within especs execpt for the MAF that reads 6gr/sec at idle........

My question. On a totally Stock 95 A4 Z28. What would be the normal grms/sec readings? I know many of you are anything but stock so I cant just take your readings for the same reason. but does anyone know what should I be reading at idle?

Does anyone have the original readings before their car was updated?

Marvin
You posted about 4 messages before my post
Old 01-07-2004, 01:46 PM

My question. On a totally Stock 95 A4 Z28. What would be the normal grms/sec readings? I know many of you are anything but stock so I cant just take your readings for the same reason. but does anyone know what should I be reading at idle?
This is what I was fishing for... Wanted to see if people were showing deviations in the amounts of " grms/sec" (as in MAF readings). I am in a learning curve here so cut me some slack will you?

This other part:

In My scan report it Idles at 650RPMs, MAP reads 1.25volst (20Hg),
This is the result of not proof reading what I said. I has two typos and its not spelt out completely. it should have read 1.20 Volts. and its missing the word"vacum" somewhere in the sentence. My mechanical vacum gage is displaying 20Hg (at idle) and in your write up, your chart shows 1.1Volts =8.9 inches Hg. so.... since my reading is engine vacum then -- 29.6 max Hg (BAR) minus 8.9hg(MAP) or intake vacum = 20.7hg. Without extrapolating my engine readings I can see my results are right in line with your explanation and with your write up. Is it any different now?

High MAP = high engine load. Low MAP = low engine load.

Ok enough with MAP stuff, this thread is about MAF candy. I am waiting for the results of the Z06,s MAF testing. Injected SS please post a side by side comparison using the same test mule car. So far you have tested the Stock MAF and a Ported One right? Have you done Granatelly and Z06 yet?

Marvin

Last edited by MentalCaseOne; 01-07-2004 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by engineermike

And about the ZO6 MAF, the ZO6 MAF tables in the ZO6 computer are different than our LT1 tables, so it IS calibrated differently.

Mike
Yup, and it can be interpolated for the LT1 PCM. This is what I did, and what I'm running with mine. I've had ZERO problems, and was running perfect 128 BLM's after that... In 2 years of running the GM Z06 MAF I've had no issues what so ever.

I'm willing to send you my cable, Z06 MAF, and the table that's programmed in my PCM if you wish... I just better get it back
Old 01-07-2004, 04:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 97FormulaWS-6
Yup, and it can be interpolated for the LT1 PCM. This is what I did, and what I'm running with mine. I've had ZERO problems, and was running perfect 128 BLM's after that... In 2 years of running the GM Z06 MAF I've had no issues what so ever.

I'm willing to send you my cable, Z06 MAF, and the table that's programmed in my PCM if you wish... I just better get it back
THanks but I have someone sending me theirs already. If it doesn't fall through, which it should, he said he already sent it, then I will keep you in mind

thanks
Old 01-07-2004, 06:44 PM

So you are going to test both "Z06" MAF's? I think that would be VERY useful as well... the Stocker Vs the Aftermarket....
Old 01-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Banned

So you are going to test both "Z06" MAF's? I think that would be VERY useful as well... the Stocker Vs the Aftermarket....
Yes, I am currently still going to be doing tests on the Granatelli MAF and the ZO6 MAF that is supposed to be calibrated for LT1's
Old 01-08-2004, 01:36 AM

Alright Baby, MAF candy coming through!!!

Honestly, I would love to own a Z06 MAF. Cant wait for the results!!

Marvin
Old 01-08-2004, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by InjectedSS
Yes, I am currently still going to be doing tests on the Granatelli MAF and the ZO6 MAF that is supposed to be calibrated for LT1's
What about the REAL Z06 MAF? the one that's stock on the LS6 cars.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:26 AM

Why does it blow out a LITTLE black smoke at high rpm's(6000) out of my cut out? Black smoke=rich. I have a P/P MAF btw.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jasons93z
Why does it blow out a LITTLE black smoke at high rpm's(6000) out of my cut out? Black smoke=rich. I have a P/P MAF btw.
Maybe it's not BLACK SMOKE, it's probably BLUE/BLACK which would mean OIL... Don't judge your a/f just cause your getting some kinda smoke coming out of your exhaust Put it on a wideband and them come tell us about it.

What about the REAL Z06 MAF? the one that's stock on the LS6 cars.
No such thing as just putting a TRUE ZO6 MAF in an LT1, the calibrations are different.. Thats why tha MAF Im getting is EXACTLY LIKE a ZO6 MAF but it's just supposedly CALIBRATED for the LT1...

We will soon see
Old 01-08-2004, 05:36 PM

UHM, see... this is what I mean.. no one READS what I post...

If it's not Possible then how do you explain the one I've been running for 2 years? The one I bough by going into a Chevrolet Dealer, and asking for a MAF for a '02 Z06 Vette.

The Calibration is different; yea, so?

As long as you have the original Calibration Data then what's preventing you from re-programing your PCM for the new Calbiration Data?

The Values in the PCM are different; uhm, yea, that's why you interpolate the Calibration Data, and pull the Freq Vs Flow numbers off for the LT1 PCM. This is what I did with the Excel Spreadsheet that I have...

I got my Calibration Data (Freq Vs Flow Curve) directly from a friends '02 Z06 Vette Via LS1 edit. Interpolated the Values, and got what I needed to enter it into the LT1 PCM.

This is the Method I've suggested for a LONG time. This is why I think there is TONS of confustion about this "Z06" MAF that LS1 Speed sells.... because it's not a TRUE "Z06/LS6" MAF.. it's an 85mm MAF that's been modified to work with an LT1 PCM.

I have the REAL THING.. a Chevrolet Corvette 405hp Z06 Mass-Air-Flow Sensor..
Old 01-08-2004, 09:08 PM

called granatelli today and talked to their tech line. well according to the tech guy the granatelli is calibrated for its size and air flow. it causes the pcm to read correct airflow and the boost in HP comes strictly from the extra air. there is no tricking the pcm to make it lean out the airflow. i used one for a few months and noticed a difference. when i went to the 1.6 rockers though it ran choppy. i put the stocker back on and had no problems. since then i ported and descreened the stocker and also have had no problems. from reading this website i think the blm's are probably sitting at 160.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:01 AM
Banned

UHM, see... this is what I mean.. no one READS what I post...

If it's not Possible then how do you explain the one I've been running for 2 years? The one I bough by going into a Chevrolet Dealer, and asking for a MAF for a '02 Z06 Vette.

The Calibration is different; yea, so?

As long as you have the original Calibration Data then what's preventing you from re-programing your PCM for the new Calbiration Data?

The Values in the PCM are different; uhm, yea, that's why you interpolate the Calibration Data, and pull the Freq Vs Flow numbers off for the LT1 PCM. This is what I did with the Excel Spreadsheet that I have...

I got my Calibration Data (Freq Vs Flow Curve) directly from a friends '02 Z06 Vette Via LS1 edit. Interpolated the Values, and got what I needed to enter it into the LT1 PCM.

This is the Method I've suggested for a LONG time. This is why I think there is TONS of confustion about this "Z06" MAF that LS1 Speed sells.... because it's not a TRUE "Z06/LS6" MAF.. it's an 85mm MAF that's been modified to work with an LT1 PCM.

I have the REAL THING.. a Chevrolet Corvette 405hp Z06 Mass-Air-Flow Sensor..
That's great dude but your missing the point of all this $hit!!!

Were trying to find MAF's that are ALREADY CALIBRATED... Not everyone has access to Tunercat and can program their ECM's to be calibrated with different MAF's..

It's not that no one reads your posts it's just that you don't read TOPICS
Old 01-09-2004, 06:14 AM

Well, 1st off I was correcting you because you stated that it couldn't be run on an LT1 car, which it can.

2nd, you're testing all the other MAF options out there, so why are you skipping this one?

"Because not everyone has the capability to reprogram their PCM"; yes, but everyone does have the option for a mail-order tune, which I see TONS of posts on as well.

I guess what I'd like to see out of this test as well is that HACKED "Z06" MAF that's supossedly "calibrated" for the LT1 PCM, Vs the GM Stocker Z06 MAF with the PCM Programmed for the correct MAF Freq Vs Flow Curve...

Last edited by 97FormulaWS-6; 01-09-2004 at 06:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Stock MAF vs Ported MAF vs Granatelli