LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

stock vs aftermarket shifter m6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 10:19 PM

I love my setup- hurst billet plus, lou's short stick, t-handle with the built in nitrous switch!
Old 02-20-2003, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by cridom
IS IT AS SMOOTH AND THE STOCK???
i put megashifter on my auto 3rd gen and it was very stiff and ****ty i didnt like the change
is pro 5.0 worth it?
The Pro 5.0 is stiffer than the stock one because it does not have the cushioners between the stick and the shifter mechanism like the stock one does.
Originally posted by cridom
can someone post pics of the pro 5.0?
how much is it?
how long would i take on installation and does it come with a ***?
thanks a lot
i know what shifter im gonna get?
should i get it before exhaust?
I got mine from TByrne. It uses the stock ****. Installation takes an hour or so. It's not hard.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:05 AM

I have the SLP Short Shifter and a Lou's Short Stick

As stated before .. Night and Day Difference... The Stock shifter is so weak and there is actaully about an inch of space underneath it.

I can tell you that Lou's Stick is well worth it on top of the shifter. I actually only did the shifter first and then decided to try Lou's Stick after that. The Shifter itself tightened up the throws, but Lou's stick makes them all perfect

So get yourself both, it seems like the Pro 5.0 is the most recommended, but almost any Shifter will work better than stock, then order yourself Lou's stick and away you go
Old 02-21-2003, 11:56 AM

I have teh pro 5.0 but what is this lou's short stick?
Old 02-21-2003, 12:42 PM

Pro 5.0 is the best shifter for our cars.

People say the stick is too long but it comes with 2"+ of threads so taht you can cut it off to a length of your choice. I run mine with about an inch cut off and a MBA billet shift **** (which has majorly recessed threads).

Install took me about 30 mins most people can do it in under an hour.

it gets rid of all the sloppyness of the stock shifter and firms everything up. It is is louder than stock but that's because it's directly connected to the tranny instead of running though a rubber bushing first. Nothing that you won't get used to.

Which one to get is your choice. One adds more HP, the other just makes things function better.

I got mine from Thunder Racing along with the MBA ****.

You can re-use the factory **** as well.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by My95Z
I have teh pro 5.0 but what is this lou's short stick?
Lou is an F-Body from Florida who designed and markets a much better Shifter Stick that attaches to most F-body Shifters

Click Here For Ordering Pro 5.0 Package

Click Here For Lou's Site

Give him some business, it's worth it
Old 02-21-2003, 01:12 PM

Talking

You can get the Pro 5.0 and a short stick (not Lou's) from LS1SPeed.com right now on sale for:

$165 for the shifter
$15 for the stick
Old 02-21-2003, 01:48 PM

is it much of a difference between a normal pro 5.0 and one that has short stick???

is pro 5.0 stiff as megashifter?
that u can barely move it? or is it still smooth?do u use strength when using 5.0?
Old 02-21-2003, 02:43 PM

I had a B&M Ripper in my old 93 probe and if the one in the camaro is similiar I would choose my pro 5.0 hands down. The thing is spring loaded to sit right square in the middle of the box, you'll never miss third gear and if you're a novice you'll never get confused as to what gear you're going into. Install was pretty easy and made a very noticeable difference.. in fact it was the first thing I did when I bought my '96. The Pro 5.0 also has adjustable stops so you will not be breaking anything. I just cut an inch or two off the top of mine but I hear lou's short stick is really worthwhile and since it has come down in price to just $15 I'll go pick one up today thanks for the info!

I also don't remember the shifting getting any more "notchy" infact it shifts real smooth and pretty easy. I imagine the shifting gets a little stiffer since the throw is shorter your mechanical leverage is decreased (so yes, you probably have to push harder) it sure wasn't noticeable to my recollection though. I know you're going to take this the wrong way BUT I'm gonna say it anyways: If you can't muster the strength to shift the dang thing then you shouldn't be driving the car.. I mean that's worse than complaining about the doors being too heavy or the clutch pedal being too stiff (I use and old style star stage III carbon BTW which is certainly stiffer and harder to drive than stock) Let me put it this way, my 5' 2" 105 lbs girl friend drives this car just fine and has never complained about the stick being to stiff and yes she drives other sticks so she has a good basis for comparison.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:56 PM

The short stick is NOT "Lou's" on sale at LS1Speed.com, but I looked at both on websites, and the only diff seems to be that Lou's is slightly bent towards the driver and the other isn't

Randy
Old 02-21-2003, 08:13 PM

Originally posted by LimitedEd1LE
The pro 5.0 is good from what I hear, but have never used it. I like the B&M ripper. It has the stoppers that prevent you from busting 3rd gear. It also have a tight feel and very short throw. You'll be happy with either one.
What do you mean by "busting third gear"? I have some sort of short throw shifter in mine, but it isn't marked, so I don't know what kind it is...

But I am very curious to what you mean by busting third gear...
Old 02-21-2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by 4S Concepts SS
What do you mean by "busting third gear"? I have some sort of short throw shifter in mine, but it isn't marked, so I don't know what kind it is...

But I am very curious to what you mean by busting third gear...
If you don't know what it is I'll bet it's a hurst that came with the car. Either way just pull the panel off that sits over it and take a look at it, tell us what it looks like and someone will know what it is.

Obviously if you over extend your gear shifting you're going to break or damage something in the trans or the linkage - probably a shift gate or some such. Specifically, if you push your shifter into third gear for example and do it so hard that it goes past the point where the gears are lined up and engaged correctly then that's just plain not good. Some say that the t56 has internal stops that prevent you from over extending but I doubt this is the case since most or all aftermarket shifters employ stops that prevent the actual shift lever from going too far forward (into 1st, 3rd, 6th) or backwards (2nd, 4th, 5th) during a shift.. I don't think the shifter manufacturs would include the stops if the t56 had internal stops.. that's my .02 but I may be wrong.. it's happened before. Regardless, I don't think this is all something you need to worry about..
Old 02-22-2003, 01:13 AM

Well the reason I asked, was that sometimes, when I put it in third it makes the "If you can't find em, grind em" sound, and pops out real fast and hard. It is only on occasion, I mean, maybe Im lettin out the clutch too soon or something, but it only happens in third. If you look at my sig, Ive had to replace alot, and the car has decent aftermarket parts on it, so i think it was dragged alot before i had it. Is the 3rd gear happenings a bad sign?
Old 02-22-2003, 01:33 PM

hey lost.
i had a megashifter on my 3rd gen so that was very stiff and my girld friend could never move it easily so im asking cuz i hated the stiffnes of megashifter
but i guess ill go with pro 5.0 with short stick(lou's)
thanks for all tomorrow im getting a stock 94 z m6 41,xxx miles and white!!!!!!!!!!! all options but leather im happy!!!!!
ill put sfcs first though cuz it has t-tops
btw are double diamond sfcs from rk sport real good?
thanks
Old 02-23-2003, 04:55 PM

The dd subframes are the strongest but also the heaviest.. some think they're overkill.. I tend to disagree but hey that's me. If that's the case with "the mega shifter" then I think you'll be pleasantly suprised with the pro 5.0

4S Concepts SS

If your car is poping out of gear then that's certainly NOT GOOD. It's the synchros inside the tranny that cause this. What happens is you have some a'hole who owned the car before you and didn't know how to shift for ****e (missing the gear for example).. every time he f'ed up the third gear shift he'd damage the synchos.. third is the most common gear for this to happen to obviously since it's the hardest shift during a race people tend to miss it. Anyways.. it'll get worse and you're only damaging the gear every time you grind it. What you'll need to do is pull the tranny some time and have it rebuilt - new synchros and a new third gear probably - have the seals replaced at this time too duh.. an maybe a new clutch and a resurfaced flywheel. I had this same problem with reverse a while back, no big deal for me since reverse is not a forward moving gear and so I don't use it much.. also it wasn't so bad that it would grind, only pop out if I didn't hold it in. Really, you could make do for a while.. just try double clutching before a third gear shift or, better still, just don't use third gear unless you have to. Don't take any of this to mean you need to rebuild asap.. just understand that it's something that should be on your "to do" list.

Quick Reply: stock vs aftermarket shifter m6?