LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stock Water Pump Failer questions??? And Electric pump ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 10:40 PM

Question Stock Water Pump Failer questions??? And Electric pump ???

When a stock WP starts to leak through the weep hole what in there failed? Also when you gut the stock pump and just use the housing for an electric wp, will it still leak? I guess what I am saying is after I gutted my stocker and put on the electric I just didn't see what fails in the stock pump to get water to weep through the hole....

PLease enlighten and educate me again...
Thanks
Eddie
Old 08-03-2004, 11:03 PM

Red face Re: Stock Water Pump Failer questions??? And Electric pump ???

I just recently replaced my WP (about 2 weeks ago)...and I was wondering myself why they don't just make 'rebuild' kits...tear open the WP..and put in new components..but I was told from the Auto Parts stores..(I asked them all to verify)..and they all seem to think that the bearings and the seals go bad. I tried to pry out those seals at the rear of the WP and broke mine..they were so dry and frail they just broke using a small screwdriver to pull them out..(i was gentle).
Id assume when/if you use the same components..since nothing externally on the STEEL housing would cause it to leak really..the new one should leak also..or atleast not perform to its ability considering it leaked in the first place...If you're oil filter ring leaks..would you put in a new oil filter and use the same ring?? I guess that could be comparable
I would personally just feel more comfortable buying all new components..Id rather do it right the first time and spend the extra bux..versus taking it all back apart and paying more (especially if you pay someone to install it).
Id say its the bearings that go bad and if there is one..and internal rubber ring just gets old and cracked or whatever..dunno..i have my old one..I took the outter part off (like 6 or 8 little 8mm bolts) and couldnt see myself what caused it to leak. Maybe ill just rip it all up since its no good anyways..and "enlighten" myself
Good luck, Im certainly no wiz at the WP stuff..but I wouldnt recommend using the same components... Derek
Old 08-03-2004, 11:10 PM

Re: Stock Water Pump Failer questions??? And Electric pump ???

The driveshaft bearings wear out and the excess play takes out the seal. Coolant then leaks by the shaft and out the weep hole.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:16 AM

Question Re: Stock Water Pump Failer questions??? And Electric pump ???

Originally Posted by shoebox
The driveshaft bearings wear out and the excess play takes out the seal. Coolant then leaks by the shaft and out the weep hole.
So when you gut a WP and install the electric and put a freeze plug in the pump where that seal for the shaft was, then there is no more possible leaks..... right? The factory pump housing is just that when the electric WP is bolted up to it.....
Old 08-04-2004, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Smokn '94 Z
So when you gut a WP and install the electric and put a freeze plug in the pump where that seal for the shaft was, then there is no more possible leaks..... right? The factory pump housing is just that when the electric WP is bolted up to it.....
Right, the freeze plug fills the hole, and the 'weephole' can't 'weep' anymore either..
Old 08-04-2004, 08:09 AM

get a CSI electric pump for $130. You won't regret it. I am very happy with mine, and absolutely NO leaks from it. I've never installed a waterpump before, and I was impressed at how well it sealed up. I expected some leakage, but NO leakage was awesome. Plus, it frees up a few ponies cause you rip out the waterpump driveshaft.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:58 PM

Where do you get one for $130?

My car is stranded in a grocery store parking lot right now...

But there is good news - I'm not there with it anymore.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by iNF3RNo
Where do you get one for $130?

My car is stranded in a grocery store parking lot right now...

But there is good news - I'm not there with it anymore.
CSI pump is $135 from summit i think. don't get the meziere