LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Strange problem HELP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 10:14 PM

Re: Re: a vacuum leak will cause it to idle fast

Originally posted by xxsaint69x
it would have to be a hell of a vacume leak

go pull few vacume hoses of your car and tell me if u will see a dramatic differnece..i bet u wont
Im pretty sure all my vacuum stuff is done right... Last time I had a vacuum leak the car idled rough but ran ok once I was driving it seemed like. Would intake manifold leak make car run like this? I dont think so, but I dunno. Im going to check plugs later tonight or tomorrow, hopefully Ill start getting some leads.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:31 PM

heh, U would need a MAJOR vacuum leak. And if ur manifold was leakin u would be blowing oil all over the place. Plugs could be a definite possibity, maybe a burnt wire even. I dont kno how u would check the injectors tho, but make sure O-rings are on there.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:10 AM

Did you check the O2 sensor to make sure it is working after the wire shorted?
A lot of times if it gets shorted out it will damage the sensor.
Replace it... If it's shorted, it will run very rich.

Good Luck,
Michael
Old 04-29-2003, 07:45 AM

its obviouslty not the problem if he unpluged it and tried driving with the car in the closed loop.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:03 AM

its obviouslty not the problem if he unpluged it and tried driving with the car in the closed loop.
Well I do not know about you, BUT, if the O2 sensor is bad and he unpluged it, it would not make any difference.

CHECK the O2 Sensor!!!
Old 04-29-2003, 12:32 PM

Thanks for the input guys, Ill check the O2, hopefully that will fix the problem.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:08 PM

Well I replaced the O2 sensor today, and it seems like it runs a little better, like it doesnt run as rich, but it still doesnt like to go below 2000 rpm when I put the clutch in and let off the gas, or put it in neutral. But it does seem to be not so rich, at idle so I guess thats a good thing. I dont know though. Think it might be a PCM problem? Would resetting the PCM clear the PCMFORLESS program I got?? I have no idea what to do. I guess Im going to take it and test my luck, see if I can get to autozone to get it scanned. Ill post up what I find out.
Old 04-29-2003, 06:33 PM

It won't clear the pcm program. All resetting it does is force the pcm to relearn. When you upload a program with tunercat....after programming is done...it automatically resets the pcm.

Joe
Old 04-29-2003, 06:41 PM

Just got back from getting the codes scanned.....

P0101--Mass air flow sensor circuit, range or performance problem

P0154--Oxygen sensor circuit- no activity detected (pre-converter sensor, right bank)

P0300--Random multi cylinder misfire

Would the cam be causing the random misfire code?? I have tuning for the cam from PCMFORLESS.com so I wouldnt think it would throw that code...

Also, the P0154, right bank is the driver's side O2 sensor right? I just replaced it today with a brand new one, any idea what I could check to see why no activity is being detected

And the P0101, does that mean my MAF is screwed up also? The tech at autozone said it may be a result of the O2 not reading anything so it isnt taking a reading from the MAF

Anyone got any advice, things to check, etc? Thanks yall.

Chris
Old 04-29-2003, 07:03 PM

Wrong. P0154 Right bank as observed from the drivers seat, which means even numbered cylinders. It is sensor #1 (pre-cat). I can't help you on the P0101 or P0300. I have a P0300 myself and have asked for help, but none has materialized.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by robob
Wrong. P0154 Right bank as observed from the drivers seat, which means even numbered cylinders. It is sensor #1 (pre-cat). I can't help you on the P0101 or P0300. I have a P0300 myself and have asked for help, but none has materialized.
Thanks man... Wonder whats the deal with my pass. side sensor, I assumed the drivers side would be bad because I shorted out the O2 on that side against the header and caused the engine sensor fuse to blow... Guess I need to replace passenger side sensor too
Old 04-29-2003, 07:11 PM

ok here is the deal..
You set the Maf code when u unpluged the MAF.
You set the O2 code when the sensor shorted out.
You set the misfire code because something is screwed up
Go to the car and disconnect the battery for 15 min, and see how it runs then...and go to Autozone and tell him to scan it again.
Marcin
Old 04-29-2003, 07:33 PM

I don't think disconnecting the battery affects codes on OBD II cars. He shorted the driver's side O2, not the right side. He shows no activity on the #2 bank #1 sensor.

Last edited by robob; 04-29-2003 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by xxsaint69x
ok here is the deal..
You set the Maf code when u unpluged the MAF.
You set the O2 code when the sensor shorted out.
You set the misfire code because something is screwed up
Go to the car and disconnect the battery for 15 min, and see how it runs then...and go to Autozone and tell him to scan it again.
Marcin
I dont see what it means by misfire because the car runs smooth Im thinking thats from the cam that it is picking up a misfire, Ive heard OBD-II may read a big cam as a misfire, not sure though.... And before I went to Autozone I did the battery thing, and then had autozone clear the codes, and it started doing the same stuff on the drive home...
Old 04-29-2003, 07:47 PM

Just now been reading the posts. I think you're o2 on the passenger side is bad. Here's why. When your other one shorted, you had an overly rich condition effect the entire engine. This dumped raw fuel onto the sensors, both sides. Raw fuel like that will ruin the o2. Replace the pass. side, that is the right side. If you want to check for a vacuum leak, you can spray carb cleaner near the vacuum lines or manifold at idle. If the rpm increases then you've found the leak. It's an old trick but it does work. ALSO change your engine oil. If it's been as rich as you've stated then it's likely that raw fuel has washed past the rings and gotten into the oil, thinning it out. I had o2 go bad from raw fuel dumping on them when my car was in "limp" mode from a bad opti. BTW there really isn't a limp mode, it's just a really poor running engine. I don't have my manual by me, but I think that if you lightly tap on the side of a MAF sensor and the engine rpm changes then it indicates a bad sensor sometimes. Look that one up in the Haynes manual though. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Strange problem HELP!!!!!!