LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

stroke from 350 to 383...good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by 12SCNDZ
Is your stroker running 11.4's?
Well to answer your question.....Why YES it does. hahaah. Kinda hard running 11's when the motor is on an engine stand getting put together. Hey speaking of that....if it does, I wont go that fast again. Don't wanna put no fen roll cage in my car.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:39 PM
On permanent vacation

Originally posted by 12SCNDZ
So now it's all clear...You never finished the project OR raced it?

Frank
nope

stupid college, making me take 16-20 credit hours and co-ops making me work 50-60 hrs a week :mad
Old 10-19-2003, 07:39 PM

Hmmm...9.58 with a 355?

http://www.exit22.org/warren.html

Frank
Old 10-19-2003, 07:42 PM

Okay TREY....you just lost me man. All this time I thought you were aight until I saw your location...."go YANKEES"

Dang Yanks.... Now I'm siding with 125!
Old 10-19-2003, 07:43 PM
On permanent vacation

frank, no one is saying a 355 cant be fast

we are just saying a 383 can be faster.

thats like mustang guys saying they are better because some guy with a stang runs 7s and the best f-body runs 8s and 9's.

who cares? who runs 11's cheaper and faster, the number most of us are concerned with.
Old 10-19-2003, 07:51 PM

I am the one 12sec is talking about. As far as 383 vs 350...you could argue it forever. Point is what are you building the car for? Do you want a stroker just to say you have a stroker or are you building a stroker to take advantage of the extra cubes. Key to horsepower is in the heads and cam...not the bottom end. The bottom end keeps it together. The reason my car runs good for a 355 is that I have put together a combo that works. From my trans, suspension, weight scaling, heads, cam intake....it all works in conjunction to provide good numbers. I will have a 9 sec 355 in about 2 weeks guaranteed. My combo was built to shoot a 250rwhp shot through it and to go 9.6-9.7. I will be upping the shot to 200 jets and going for the nines. I will keep you guys posted if interested. Next season I will be installing a forged crank and 4 bolt splayed caps and converting to a direct port fogger, DFI, and a solid roller so that I can possibly get the fastest 4th gen 355 record. I feel that my 355 can compete with the strokers and hell it runs similar numbers as some strokers do now and I have a hydraulic roller and not a solid roller as most fast strokers do. Oh well it is all up to you and how much money you want to invest. Just do a lot of research and pick the right parts and you'll get a good combo that will work for you.

Good Luck
Matt
Old 10-19-2003, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by Nostang 96z
I am the one 12sec is talking about. As far as 383 vs 350...you could argue it forever. Point is what are you building the car for? Do you want a stroker just to say you have a stroker or are you building a stroker to take advantage of the extra cubes. Key to horsepower is in the heads and cam...not the bottom end. The bottom end keeps it together. The reason my car runs good for a 355 is that I have put together a combo that works. From my trans, suspension, weight scaling, heads, cam intake....it all works in conjunction to provide good numbers. I will have a 9 sec 355 in about 2 weeks guaranteed. My combo was built to shoot a 250rwhp shot through it and to go 9.6-9.7. I will be upping the shot to 200 jets and going for the nines. I will keep you guys posted if interested. Next season I will be installing a forged crank and 4 bolt splayed caps and converting to a direct port fogger, DFI, and a solid roller so that I can possibly get the fastest 4th gen 355 record. I feel that my 355 can compete with the strokers and hell it runs similar numbers as some strokers do now and I have a hydraulic roller and not a solid roller as most fast strokers do. Oh well it is all up to you and how much money you want to invest. Just do a lot of research and pick the right parts and you'll get a good combo that will work for you.

Good Luck
Matt
Thanks, Matt.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:15 PM

Just so everyone knows, I'm not here to start arguements. In the end, I want ALL of us LT1 guys to run good. I've just seen too many people invest money in strokers and not ran very well. I admitted that stroker power looks good on a dyno, but we don't race dynoes. Strokers have alot of low end grunt (torque), but you need a suspension that's capable of planting all the extra torque. If you only want to flash dyno numbers, or want nice numbers to put in you sig. then strokers are great. If you notice, though...Alot of guys with strokers on this board DON'T volunteer
their ET's....Ever wonder about that?
Yes, there are good running strokers...Most have mega this, and large that....Are we building STREETABLE cars here? Are heads and cam big enough to take advantage of a stroker really streetable? Can you put a streetable suspension under one?

If 2 cars run the same in the quarter mile, I'd rather be in the one that's only got 355 cubic inches.

BTW, Matt still drives the (soon to be) 9 second car on the street quite a bit.

Frank
Old 10-19-2003, 08:20 PM

Hey Matt (Nostang) dang good explaination dude. That's exactly the point. All we were trying to say is that....383..more cubes, more torque, all things equal the 383 will be faster. ALL THINGS EQUAL!
Old 10-20-2003, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by S.J.S.
Hey Matt (Nostang) dang good explaination dude. That's exactly the point. All we were trying to say is that....383..more cubes, more torque, all things equal the 383 will be faster. ALL THINGS EQUAL!
I agree with Matt also.

To keep things in perspective:

A 383 has only 9.4% more displacement than a 350, and only 7.9% more than a 355. That's not much. IF you can flow the extra air in and out, and neglect the extra frictional losses from the longer stroke, that's maybe 30 hp or 30 lb-ft over an equally prepared 400 hp 355. Hardly a "torque monster". Longer strokes don't give you huge amounts of extra torque. It's more the displacement increase.

If you are going to replace the complete rotating assembly anyway, 383 stroker parts don't cost much more than equivalent 355 parts, so why not go that way? As others have said, it's what's up top that counts. Spend money on the heads, intake and valvetrain or your 383 won't be much of an improvement.

My $.02