LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stubborn LT1 ( Long Story Please HELP !)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:05 AM

Exclamation Stubborn LT1 ( Long Story Please HELP !)

I have a '95 Z28 with a handful of bolt-on's. The past few days the car will crank over for days is seems but never fire up. I have a new opti, coil, wires, plugs, fuel filter, and all new fluids. Still have bout a 1/3 a tank of fuel. Now for the symptoms: If let sit overnight or in the parking lot at work it takes a good 3 seconds of cranking to fire(which seems to be worse since it never did this when i bought it). Now if i let it only sit for an hour or so its fine. Well yesterday on TWO occasions i went to run an errand and come out and the car just cranks and cranks and wont fire. I let it sit for 10-15 min waiting for a buddy to come pick me up and it started up and I got it home. Well went out to go to work this morning and wont fire up at all. I checked the vacuum lines on the fpr and no sign of wet from gas or a gaseous smell. Took the cap of the shrader valve and no gasoline. Well let it sit for a few hours now and went back out and checked the shrader valve and now a tiny bit squirts out indicating some trace of fuel pressure. So the big question is, do all of these signs indicate a faulty pump?? ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WECOME
Old 07-16-2008, 08:48 AM

I would say it sounds like a faulty pump to me. Right after you have primed the pump there should be 40psi+ waiting behind the shrader valve. Put a gauge on it and make sure, or shoot a little carb cleaner or starting fluid into the tb or through a vacuum port on the intake and it should fire right up for a second or two. The second test will just show you that nothing else is wrong and its a fueling problem. It wont really tell you why, but the fuel pressure gauge will.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:44 PM

Any other suggestions or opinions? Come on guys, I've seen more views and replies to much more retarded things in this section and the lounge. Also, plugs couldn't have fouled out or anything else couldn't have really been hurt by the lean condition for a short time could they?

Last edited by SuperSport88; 07-16-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:59 PM

hows your battery?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:05 PM

Battery and alternator are excellent. I can let the radio play all day long while out messing around in the garage and she used to fire on the first crank after that long day everytime.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:25 PM

i didnt suspect the battery until you said this.
Originally Posted by SuperSport88
Battery and alternator are excellent. I can let the radio play all day long while out messing around in the garage and she used to fire on the first crank after that long day everytime.
i would load test the battery, then put a fuel gauge make sure your getting pressure first then make sure your holding pressure. if the pressure drops off right away i would suspect the fpr. if it steadily loses pressure it could be a leaking injector.

let us know
Old 07-16-2008, 08:14 PM

How do i load test the battery. With the key on I can't even hear the pump prime or anything and nothing comes out the shrader valve so wouldn't it be futile to even hook a fuel pressure guage up to it? And to clear something up, i depressed the shrader valve not just took the cap off. The first time nothing came up and the next time a trickle came out, making me think that all i did was get an air bubble out from where the pump failed and might have then came back alive for a fraction of a second or long enough to push some fuel towards the motor.

Last edited by SuperSport88; 07-16-2008 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:50 PM

I had a friend ask me to help him with a problem very close to this on a 94 vette. If it would start it would run fine. We checked everything. It ended up being the injector driver in the ecu, but, you said you dont hear the fuel pump prime. Get a fuel pressure gage that will attach to the shrader valve and turn on the ignition it should read 40-44 psi and hold if not its the pump. also try swapping the fuel pump relay with a like kind relay to rule out the power to the pump. Good luck!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:47 AM

If your battery is good and there is no corrosion around the terminals (make sure nothing is loose too) then if you say when you turn the key you cant hear the pump then it sounds like thats your problem. The fuel pump should make a very noticable hum for about 2-3 seconds before you fire the car up, if its not doing that then that could be the issue. If the car has over 120K on it then the fuel pump starts to live on borrowed time, sometimes they go longer sometimes they fail sooner, my stock one had 160K when I replaced it and it was still working, i just upgraded. You can verify thats the problem when you take the pump out by testing its power output, but even if its good theres no chance I would put that one back in, there cheap enough from Walboro or something else that its not worth the hassle of dropping the tank twice.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:05 PM

Wink

Thanks for all the help and opinions so far! I cheated and used the trap door method since I don't have a lift and many tools at my house. Got the swap done and just need to get some special epoxy to seal the bucket back up and then just button it all back up. I will keep everyone updated and I pray to God that this was the problem. This ol' LT1 is in for some punishment once she's running again