LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Stuck on plug change!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 12:35 PM

Stuck on plug change!

Agh, I did all the driver side plugs no problem -- now it came down to the passenger side and I can't get the first one from the front off! I took the alternator out and still no luck... any tips?
Old 06-12-2004, 12:45 PM

do a search. There has been many diffrent ways discussed.
I believe I used to remove my alternator and use a sp- socket and a 3/4 open end. Also I remember removing my oil filler tube and laying across the engine. The rest can be accessed from under the car and removing the starter.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:51 PM

I used a 3" snubby socket from sears. It also helps to have small hands.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:04 PM

It looks like a swiveling socket will do too... gonna dip by a store to get one.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:10 PM

Which bolts come off to take the starter off?
Old 06-12-2004, 01:56 PM

take out the battery for a place to pivot your arm
Old 06-12-2004, 02:09 PM

You think that one's hard, wait until you get to the next to last one. That's a pain.

I just laid on top of the motor. I didn't take the starter out.
Old 06-12-2004, 02:38 PM

wires are 10 times worst
Old 06-12-2004, 03:20 PM

I will never forget changing plugs on my car when it was stock... I'd rather visit my proctologist.

Number 2 cylinder is a bit of a pain. I never removed anything, just fished my hand in from behind (coming in as if from the firewall) and put the spark plug socket on by hand. Then grabbed a 1/2" breaker bar (long handle) with a 3/4" socket attached and got it on the end of the spark plug socket. I used a small mirror to help me navigate and used a pry bar to get the 3/4" socket onto the spark plug socket (there's no room to push towards the block).

I also remember having to bend the hard line running from the air pump ever so slightly because it was touching the side of the spark plug socket right where I needed to get my 3/4" on. Once you've done this once it isn't so bad.... it's just finding little tricks to make it easier.

-Mindgame
Old 06-12-2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Mindgame
I will never forget changing plugs on my car when it was stock... I'd rather visit my proctologist.

Number 2 cylinder is a bit of a pain. I never removed anything, just fished my hand in from behind (coming in as if from the firewall) and put the spark plug socket on by hand. Then grabbed a 1/2" breaker bar (long handle) with a 3/4" socket attached and got it on the end of the spark plug socket. I used a small mirror to help me navigate and used a pry bar to get the 3/4" socket onto the spark plug socket (there's no room to push towards the block).

I also remember having to bend the hard line running from the air pump ever so slightly because it was touching the side of the spark plug socket right where I needed to get my 3/4" on. Once you've done this once it isn't so bad.... it's just finding little tricks to make it easier.

-Mindgame
That's why I never changed the plugs until I bought a set of headers .

Ryan
Old 06-12-2004, 03:30 PM

Smart man.....

That's why I tell people that the first modification you should make to these engines is a good set of headers... then route the wires over the valve cover. I've been impressed with plug access from Mac and TPIS, but I'm sure anything is better than the stock manifolds.
If I had to change plugs again on a stocker... I think I'd cherry pick the engine first.

-Mindgame
Old 06-12-2004, 11:22 PM

Okay -- a lil update... I got them all -- and it's not bad at all if you have fairly thin arms and a swiveling socket... the swiveling socket saved so much time! I had my dad go grab me one from the store and I got the rest of the job done within another hour. However, I need to go bandage my hands up now! I can't believe how sore they are...

I am going with the OVC wires... how the heck do you get it so they don't touch the manifolds?
Old 06-13-2004, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by PredatorZ28
wires are 10 times worst
AGREED Took off the power steering pump for mine.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by AlexBarabas
Okay -- a lil update... I got them all -- and it's not bad at all if you have fairly thin arms and a swiveling socket... the swiveling socket saved so much time! I had my dad go grab me one from the store and I got the rest of the job done within another hour. However, I need to go bandage my hands up now! I can't believe how sore they are...

I am going with the OVC wires... how the heck do you get it so they don't touch the manifolds?
Don't do OVC wire with stock manifolds. They are for use with headers.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:46 PM

...and to think I read on another board where a guy offered to pay $50 to do plugs and wires on his LT1!

Quick Reply: Stuck on plug change!