LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

stumped badly.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 PM

Re: stumped badly.....

Have it reading perfect @.50 at idle. Still having plug wire issues. Should i do a custom set of moroso 10mm super 40's? I know the lugging at cruising speed is either too rich or its arcing again somewhere. Im gonna let the car cool then pull a few wires and coat them with the liquid electrical tape. Ran great this morning before we put the new tps sensor and tinkered with cylinder 4 plug wire again. Hopefully i can straighten it out in the next 45 minutes before it goes on the dyno
Old 07-27-2011, 04:01 PM

Well couldn't fix the wire so it had a miss on the dyno the tune has the a/f ratio all over the place also.im about ready too convert too a carburetor. So much easier too dial in. Anyways obviously running on 7.5 cylinders the dyno numbers were low. Best run was 262rwhp and 272 rwt. Slightly lean on the run 13.0. Also the torque peaked at 4200 rpm and hp was 5400. I gotta get this thing dialed in. I know tuning and ignition problems are robbing me bigtime.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:15 PM

Swapped tunes after the 1st three pulls and picked up 60rwhp
Old 07-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Administrator

The "liquid electrical tape" is intended to insulate maybe 1,200V per mil of thickness, and with the maximum thickness might be good for 10,000V. Your plug wires are probably running at least 30,000V.

There are way too many of us running VERY demanding ignition loads, with regular old 8mm or 8.5mm wires, and no liquid electrical tape. There has to be a reason your are burning up the wires. If my MSD 8.5 SuperConductors can handle the voltage required to fire a 300-shot on top of a 500HP normally aspirated engine, you should be able to run the same wires with no problems.

Rather than applying band-aids like liquid tape, find the cause of the problem.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:44 PM

Ever talked to a door?

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Rather than applying band-aids like liquid tape, find the cause of the problem.
You're wasting your breath. He asks questions and then does what he wants anyway.

Has no idea what he's doing. Witness going to put injector cleaner in the intake. With new (supposedly) injectors????? Or buying (supposedly) set after set of wires. Never once said that he lifted the fuel rails to see if any injectors have a bad pattern much less a leak.

Has crankcase contamination and is chasing a plug wire issue?

Does almost no testing and throws (supposedly) tons of parts at the problem.

Knows he has several problems including crankcase contamination and still wastes time and money much less, the attendants time at a Dyno. "Gee, I don't know why I can't get this tuned?"

How did he get to the dyno, trailer? I doubt it. Drives probably, with a crankcase contamination problem! Smart.

Post after post after post of the same thing.

I know I'm done.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 PM

Did you solve your WOT TPS issue?
Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Yes new sensor that needed too be rotated and adjusted. Rotated too where it read.50 volts with key on. Tightened screws rechecked. Also opened tb blades slightly before adjusting. Not too you ram air but would you like too see pictures of the burnt wires??? Which ones ac delco? Autolite? The new mad wires are guaranteed too not pull apart for five years. I watched the boot pull right out of cylinder 4 wire. The wire is not staying on the plug due too the connector inside being spun around. The first two sets of wires were burn through due too heat from headers. The msd show no burns but are arcing nevertheless. The car had a very rich tune at idle and lower rpms. The wire was not arcing when i left for the dyno but started too break down in bumper too bumper traffic in 85 degree weather. The air fuel ratio was also all over the place. Runs would start at 10.5 and end at 13.2. I think they are arcing from the boots too the heads/headers. Have too remove the fabric plug protectors too chase down the problem/s. The 7mm wires that did burn were also protected by the fabric.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:51 PM

I asked about your WOT TPS issue, not what it is at idle. That's the third time I've asked.

You've gotten MORE than enough information and suggestions from some of the most valuable people on this site to get your car running correctly.

You don't seem to understand that burning through several sets of wires is NOT normal and is NOT the cause of the wires themselves. Either you're routing them improperly or there are unusually elevated EGTs in the vicinity of the burned locations due to a TUNING, FUEL, or SPARK issue, OR you've got issues that Fred mentioned forever ago. Stop throwing parts at the car and do some real diagnostics.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:12 PM

Reads 4.6 at 100%.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:18 PM

Reads 4.6 at 100% through datamaster. With wideband today at idle it was 10.5 afr then it progressively leaned out too 5200 where it made peak power at 13.0. All my problems began after going through and automated carwash with undercarriage blast. Im not ruling out the possibility of a bent valve or broken valve spring. Im gonna pull the valve covers in the morning and look for a broken spring. What i thought was a chirping noise from the belt or pulley system actually seems too be coming from the passenger side head. Just seems akward that the car started running like crap after the wash. When the wires we're replaced it ran great for 20 minutes. But it always does when its cold so i think i may have a valve train problem or wiring harness problem.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:51 PM

Just spoke with msd tech support. They told me that if the wires weren't burnt and the boots pulled apart from the wires thatvthey must've been faulty. Theyre sending me a new set overnight first thing in the morning. Told me too leave the old set boxed up and write return too sender on them.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:27 PM

Shorted wired in the connectors at the base of the coil. When my friend installed my ach he cut the wire extremely short. Now i need too know which wires wire too which wires on the grey connector at the base of the coil
Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 PM

http://shbox.com/coil/coil_connectors.jpg courtesy of shoebox........ Does this help? Still sketchy on why the plugs were rusty, and had crankcase contamination though.....I would say that is due to the low AFR, but have you found that problem? Could the rust in the plugs come from the compression of the humid air causing water to gather in the cylinder?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:26 AM

Arcing in 5 differentspots. Injectors are pulsing but its misfiring and not burning the gas. I have a feeling that something got shorted. I can find wiring diagrams on shoeboxs site but not color okrientation. I think my description may be off. On a plug chart its the perfect color. I also see that when they patched into the tach for the msd box they cut the coil plugs and rewired. Now that the box is gone i thhink wires on the connector got hooked up wrong and will let it run but also cause it tooo short out
Old 07-28-2011, 08:28 AM

I meant when they patched into the coil and the msd box. it worked fine the way they hooked it up when the motor was stock but now its taking more voltage to run the motor and that's whybits arcing everywhere. Its even arcing through the fabric protector on cyl 6

Quick Reply: stumped badly.....