LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

suggestions for setup

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:29 PM

suggestions for setup

I figured I would run my plans (and ???'s) by the experts before i decided to go and blow all of my money this summer. any changes and suggestions would be welcomed, keeping money in mind.

I have a bone stock(except K/N cai) 95 A4 Z28

hooker headers--emissions legal set, not cereamics
hooker catback
random tech cat---?
Granaleti (sp?) MAF
Holley/BBK throttle body
1.6 rockers--slp?
cam--pls suggest what kind, considering i know very little about cams- and also how much it would cost to get rockers and cam installed.
--torque converter--if $$$ allows- how much for install, and what stall rating?
good tune--PCM or DYNO tune?
-am i forgeting anything?

also, i was thinking about boring out to a 383, how much total? what packages? HP gains?

as for the cat, i was thinking glass pack but i heard it sounded crappy? Any opinions?- i dont want to gut so i can stay emissions legal for the most part

Also how much HP would the above setup put me at w/o the torque converter?

How much is a 10oz bottle of N2O running?

I know there is a lot here but i am a newb at parts, all highschool has tought me so far is theory.

open to all suggestions, I know there is a lot here but you will make one kid in a z28 very happy being the bully on the block. (Not that I cant woop all those wannab ricers and GTstangs)

and as a side note, A SVT cobra offered to race, how would i stand?

thanks alot!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Administrator

hooker headers--emissions legal set, not cereamics
Why not get the cera-metallic coating? Increases HP, reduces underhood temperatures, and reduces rusting and cracking the welds from heat cycling. Almost a no-brainer.

Granaleti (sp?) MAF
Granatelli - and NO. Its a huge waste of money. It **MAY** net you a 15HP gain, it you get lucky and the intentional mis-calibration of the sensor leans out the top end. But you could get a custom PCM tune for 1/3 of what the Granatelli costs, and it would guarantee you the same HP gains, plus account for all the other changes you plan to make.

Holley/BBK throttle body
Your stock 48mm TB will be fine with the mods you've got listed here.

1.6 rockers--slp?
The 1.6X roller rockers are a good idea. I'd choose the Comp Cams Pro-Magnums or the Crane Gold over the SLP's.

cam--pls suggest what kind, considering i know very little about cams- and also how much it would cost to get rockers and cam installed.
You've already mentioned emissions.... what emissions testing do you have to meet? How "streetable" do you want the engine to be?

--torque converter--if $$$ allows- how much for install, and what stall rating?
Good idea. Stall will need to be based on cam selection.

good tune--PCM or DYNO tune?
For what you are doing, a mail-order tune from one of our Supporting Vendors will be fine.

also, i was thinking about boring out to a 383, how much total? what packages? HP gains?
That's a big "oh, by the way". If you don't add a good set of ported heads to the package, you're wasting your money on a 383. Which.... by the way is not achieved primarily by "boring", mostly from substituting a 3.75" stroke crank for your 3.48" stroke stocker. Go to Victory Racing Engines or Golen to see what their various 383 packages will cost you. You're talking a minimum of $1,200 for a low-end, basic parts buildup on your block, anywhere up to $5,000 short-block for a strong power adder setup.

as for the cat, i was thinking glass pack but i heard it sounded crappy? Any opinions?- i dont want to gut so i can stay emissions legal for the most part
You're a bit confused.... a "glass pack" is a muffler filled with fiberglass to kill the noise. The cat is a catalytic converter that reduces the emissions of CO, HC and NOx. You can't replace a cat with a glass pack. You would replace your muffler with a glass pack, but you've already indicated you are getting a Hooker catback, so it wouldn't make any sense to buy a catback, then scrap the muffler that came with it and substitute a glass pack muffler.

Also how much HP would the above setup put me at w/o the torque converter?
Refine the list based on the inpout above, then ask the HP/$$$ question.

How much is a 10oz bottle of N2O running?
Do you possibly mean a 10# bottle of N2O? A 10oz bottle might be used in a "sneaky pete" type installation, but that's not something you would want to do. If you are looking at nitrous systems, refilling a 10# bottle can cost you anywhere from $3.50-$5.00 per pound.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:12 PM

sorry, I know the post was confusing but what I was mostly listing the parts were for opinions.

I have decided to spend more than I should so...

How bout a lt1 LE2 (w/ new pushrods-Crane and good springs?(what would you suggest)
--http://www.eportworks.com/lt1.html
32lb injecters(accel)
1.6 rockers (crane Gold)
Throttle body? (58 mm)
Headers -Hooker - ceramic lt's
MagnaFlow Direct-Fit Catalytic Converters MPE-23478
hooker catback 16827HKR
wires and plugs(NGK tr55)

--mail in pcm tune...who would you suggest

new guestimate of horse power.

------torque converter if $$$ allows (what stall, ect...)

-as for NOS I know nothing about it, I was just wondering , in case i decide to get a system in the future.

-the glass-pack i had heard from a friend was a cat, and i hadnt looked it up to see if he was right and just assumed he was.

also anyone have any opinions on the lt4 knock module? waste of money?

thanks alot injuneer!

what else would be smart to add or is a waste of $$$?

all suggestions appreciated for this lowly newbish z28 kid.

Last edited by daonlydino; 03-18-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:43 PM

you may be better off telling us what type of emmisions you have to pass, and what you want out of the car, as well as what it is used for and how extreme you want it.

then tell us your budget.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:54 PM

as for budget this summer...around 3000+ (very lean pessimistic guestimate), I want to get all mods listed below excluding exhaust components done by the end of the summer, I hope that I will be able to get the exhaust also but that might have to wait till a little bit later in the year.

I live in missouri, and i looked up emissions inspections and it makes no sense to me but it might to someone else. all 95 & below cars are tested with SSI test.

I want to have at least 350ish+ rwhp, to beat just about anything that is running stock or lightly modded on the road, including svt mustangs and the like :P, Also, this may sound childish, but my dad has a 99 viper(and it is still the "work for what you want$, and ill get what you need", Don't you just hate the parents who want to teach you responsibility) and we always go out "running" and i dont want him to smoke me like he currently does. Other than this set of mods, I am not planning on doing to much untill I am a few years into or out of college, senior this year!

also, i dont think i like the sound of accel injectors, what would you recomend?

Last edited by daonlydino; 03-18-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:04 PM

if you have the money i would look into a le2 package this will get you your goals and he can inform you of all the other things you will need to get it going.

do you have a m6 or a4?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:22 PM

I have an A4. and the money I am willing to spend so...
Old 03-18-2007, 09:27 PM

then go with le2 with the supporting mods, cpt transmissions pro race build with a stall converter. and 3:73 gears and a ta cover.

then your running low 12's and beating your dads viper for around 3000$
Old 03-18-2007, 09:34 PM

how much is that transmision running for and do you have any good links for info?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:40 PM

the stock 4l60 is weak and will go pretty soon when you start upgrading http://www.cahallperformancetransmissions.com/
Old 03-18-2007, 09:59 PM

Thanks to both of you, you can learn alot and keep from making bad choices talking to those who know what they are doing. I will do a little research and number crunching and get back to you all later. TY!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by daonlydino
Thanks to both of you, you can learn alot and keep from making bad choices talking to those who know what they are doing. I will do a little research and number crunching and get back to you all later. TY!
Good idea, do alot of reading on this site and use the search feature also. Type in a key word or words and you will find a lot of info with the search option. May I suggest for now, a set of long tube coated headers with a nice 3'' exhaust system. Or if you have to meet emissions, some mid lenght headers so its easier to retain your cats, and or cat. In the exhaust system you could put a cut-out for added HP. Also a set of gears such as 3.73s will be needed sooner or later and would be a nice improvement even with a stock motor. Another option for now would be a quality torque converter. This will also be needed later if you go with a head and cam set-up. A stall of 2800 will work well now and later with the H/C package. Plus a mail-order tune will gain you some at least 10 to 15 hp if your car is running right, plugs, wires ect. This alone, will cost you a good piece of change. But at least you'll be on your way to having a nice base to build from.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:59 AM

I would go with a comp 306 cam, or a custom grind, along with a 100-125 shot of nitrous. This will get you in the high 11's, still be streetable, and will cost about the same as the LE2, but will give you more power.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:16 PM

No offense, but i would rather pay twice price to have 100 hp that is always there than have to spray and go refill my bottle everytime i felt like racing some pos honda civic(not that I can't beat them without spray, its just a lot funner when you see them even further behind), NOS is on my future list of things I need, after all the above listed, although I think I will get everything but the rearend this summer, and then get the new transmission an TC, etc. later this year. $$$$