LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Suspension Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 07:16 PM

Suspension Suggestions

Today while going over a speed bump the front end made a nasty creaking sound..first time I noticed it. When I got back to work I was curious so I pushed down on the drivers side at the wheel well, then the pass side. Pass side is stiff as a board, not a bit of movement with a good bit of my wieght on it. Then noticed the front pass side is sitting about 3/4" lower than the front (hows that for hillbilly troubleshootin). Guessing a bad shock and going to try to tear into it this weekend if Uncle Sam leaves me alone. If it is indeed the shock I'll replace both side shocks/springs while I'm at it. Any pointers on replacement parts? Not and AutoX'r but we do have a good time when the curvy roads are empty. Thanks
Old 01-23-2004, 07:18 PM

Bilstiens are supposed to be one of the best for these cars.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:42 PM

Get a tape measure (ruler) and measure from the bottom-center of the tire to the top of each wheel well on the fender. Give us four measurement readings:

Front-Driver
Front-Passenger
Rear-Driver
Rear-Passenger

Can you look to see of there is any damage to the lower control arms, springs, or mounts? You may need to remove the tires.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:29 PM

LR=27.5 LF=27.25 RF=26.5 RR=27 No apparent damage to anything (it'll be tomorrow night before I can get time to pull the tires.) Car drives fine, tracks straight. The noise was as I came off the spead bump, not as I hit it. And to be sure there's no confusion, I didn't careen into the speed bump, normal stop and roll over and heard the sound as I came off of it.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:10 PM

Be careful with those strut springs. Yes, you can do the swap yourself if you have some spring compressors... but be very careful. It isn't difficult, just takes time if you do it yourself. Otherwise, take your new strut and spring to a shop have them put them together for $40. Saves time and trouble... it is easy to drop them in afterwards.

You'll need to separate the tie rod end. If you use a pickle fork you'll likely damage the rubber cap on the tie rod. I've seen tie rod end clamps that grip on to each side with two jaws and the screw in the middle pops the bolt of the tie rod out of the lower control arm... it will save your rubber boot if you don't want to change your tie rod ends.

Sounds like something slipped. I'm wondering if your spring is not perched right or if it rotated. Also, check your bolts at the top of the strut, it is a crazy guess but perhaps one wiggled loose.