LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

T56 CONVERSION QUESTIONS !!Gurus enter!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 09:26 PM

T56 CONVERSION QUESTIONS !!Gurus enter!!

I know your going to tell me to read the page with the swap details but I was unable to find the answer to these specific questions.

I'm ready to start on the pedals. I just need to know what size drill bit I should use to drill the new holes? Correct me if I'm wrong but I also need a 1 5/8" hole cutter? This part of the swap seems pretty straight forward, why is this always described as a PITA?

Also what do the 2 switches on the brake pedal do? I ask so I know what to monitor when I adjust them.

The one on the clutch is so you can only start the car when the clutch is disengaged, right? But, I shouldn't have to worry about it because I'm using the auto wire harness right? Do I need to tell the guy whose programming my computer for the M6 to leave that part out of the programming?
Old 03-03-2003, 09:55 PM

Yes, you'll need to tell him. The A4 and M6 programs are very different. An A4 program will throw a bunch of codes when it doesn't get the feedback sensors it needs.

Just out of curiosity... why didn't you just sell the car and BUY a M6 Trans Am? With the money from the sale, and the money you'd saved instead of buying a T56 and the PCM tuning you'd probably save a bunch of money, or gotten a newer/lower mileage car.

I understand modding for HP or options that arn't avilable from GM, but to replicate what's available and have your VIN not matching and the time/$$/effort involved it doens't seem to make much sense (unless you got the T56 for free or sumthing like that I guess).

I chulk this up to the same deal as "how do I put a V8 in my V6" or "how do I put an LS1 in my LT1"... why bother?
Old 03-04-2003, 12:49 AM

Re: T56 CONVERSION QUESTIONS !!Gurus enter!!

Originally posted by JDMZ28
I know your going to tell me to read the page with the swap details but I was unable to find the answer to these specific questions.

I'm ready to start on the pedals. I just need to know what size drill bit I should use to drill the new holes? Correct me if I'm wrong but I also need a 1 5/8" hole cutter? This part of the swap seems pretty straight forward, why is this always described as a PITA?
Because aligning it, cutting the holes, and actually putting the pedals is a PITA. Yes, use a 1-5/8" hole cutter for the master cylinder. 2 small holes will be needed for the U-bolt...I don't recall what bit size to use, just start small and get bigger until you get a good fit.

Also what do the 2 switches on the brake pedal do? I ask so I know what to monitor when I adjust them.
Brake lights and cruise release. They are not adjustable.

The one on the clutch is so you can only start the car when the clutch is disengaged, right?
There is one on the top that detects when you just barely press the clutch (cruise) and one on the bottom (black) for starting the car.

But, I shouldn't have to worry about it because I'm using the auto wire harness right?
You do, you wire it as mentioned on my site. If you don't to press the clutch to start the car, then just short the 12 gauge yellow and brown wire together and it will crank no matter what.

Do I need to tell the guy whose programming my computer for the M6 to leave that part out of the programming?
A4 and M6 programs are different. Ask the programmer to give you an M6 program.

-Alex
Old 03-04-2003, 02:05 PM

The reason I'm doing this is because it is actually because it is equal to the cost of an A4 rebuild which I've had done several times. So the cost is actually cheaper than staying with the auto. Thanks for your concern.

Alex, thank you, I shouldn't have any problems now.