LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Tach doesnt work in 94 firebird formula.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 07:36 PM

Question Tach doesnt work in 94 firebird formula.......

Over the summer (now in storage) i bought a 94 firebird formula. When i bought it the tach didnt work, The guy i bought it from was the origional owner, he says it just stopped working on him. So n e how the car needed an opti spark set up so i was hoping this might have cured my problem, low and behold it didnt so n e way i way hoping someone on here could help me, ciol wires looked and i tried another ignition module and still nothing. Coil pack maybe? is it common for the actual guage cluster to go bad? Also would the tach not woking have ne thing to do with the way it shifts (A4)? This is my first time posting here and i could really use the help, thanks Mike
Old 12-20-2004, 06:10 AM

Re: Tach doesnt work in 94 firebird formula.......

The signal originates as the low res signal of the opti to the PCM and on to the instrument cluster. The signal passes through the blue 10 pin connector behind the right side kick panel on the white wire. Check the connector pins first.

If you aren't throwing any codes, the signal must either be bad between the PCM and the instrument panel or instrument panel is bad. The only way to know for sure is either look at the signal at the instrument panel connector or try a known good instrument panel in place of the old one.

Remember a bad low res signal creating an DTC 16 will not light the SES. It will however shut down the fuel pump and injectors. So you will obviously know something is up. The point is not all codes will light the SES.

Oh yeah, welcome to the board. Nice to read a new face. Put your particulars in your signature and your location with your ID on the left.

See ya
Dave
Old 12-20-2004, 09:58 PM

ya i was looking around there and i saw like 4 white wires, I just think the problem is odd though. I have been a camaro/firebird man my whole life so i have some idea of whats going on but with this i am stumped. i guess like you say check connections again and try a new unit. The only problem is the dealer cant get them and one from the junkyard wouldnt have the correct mileage. So as i said i am stumped. I really do appritiate(sp?) the help and any further ideas or comments from anyone else are greatly appritiated. Also would my tach nt working have n e thing to do with my tranny shifting odd? and whats the deal with the perform switch button? is that the same as a shift kit? what would happen if i put a shift kit in my car? would the button be affective?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:35 AM

I didn't say to use a NEW one. I said you could test the problem with a known good one. Like from another owner of a F body. You could also look at the signal with a Vantage or Solus or Modis.

As far as the odometer is concerned, I believe it is bolted in seperately to the IP and can be moved to the replacement. I'm not sure but you could check that out and maybe just the solid state electronics portion of the IP can be replaced without replacing the whole IP.

The very least you should do is ohm out the wiring from the PCM to IP.

Dave
Old 12-24-2004, 07:39 PM

also would the tach not working have any effect on my tranny acting up? and whats with the performance shift button