LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

tapping water pump weep hole...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:16 AM

tapping water pump weep hole...

So everytime it gets wet out the Camaro won't start. Once it dries up, it'll fire up. I've had problems with the opti for a long time, and since Winters came, the car will go days without starting.

So I bought a GM opti from thepartsladi on ebay.

I don't really wanna drop another 150 on a new water pump.

Has anybody tapped the weep hole, put a nipple in, and ran a hose under the car to keep the water from falling onto the opti?

Where do these pumps usually leak from?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:27 AM

I know you don't want to hear this, but if your waterpump is leaking, it is going to get worse. I can see by your sig you have spent money on your car, so why don't you not take a short cut and do it right?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 AM

Easier to just replace the water pump.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:44 AM

You definitely don't want to go drilling into the weep hole. It's not meant to leak, it's an early sign of failure. You can get a rebuilt WP for around half the price. If you look around you should be able to find one with a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by raroz28
So everytime it gets wet out the Camaro won't start. Once it dries up, it'll fire up. I've had problems with the opti for a long time, and since Winters came, the car will go days without starting.

So I bought a GM opti from thepartsladi on ebay.

I don't really wanna drop another 150 on a new water pump.

Has anybody tapped the weep hole, put a nipple in, and ran a hose under the car to keep the water from falling onto the opti?

Where do these pumps usually leak from?
Yes, some people have done that with the weep hole. It should only weep significantly when it is on it's way out.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:18 PM

Sorry I gave you guys the wrong idea.

My water pump is fine. It only has 125k on it (Original WP).

My thing was this... With my luck, I'll replace the opti, then 3 months later my water pump will go and ruin the opti.

I would rather replace just the Opti, and if the water pump goes bad in a few months, I'll still know about it, but it won't take my opti with it.

Most people recommend you replace the waterpump with the opti, whether it's bad or not. I really don't want to do that.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 PM

My thing was this... With my luck, I'll replace the opti, then 3 months later my water pump will go and ruin the opti.

I would rather replace just the Opti, and if the water pump goes bad in a few months, I'll still know about it, but it won't take my opti with it.

Most people recommend you replace the waterpump with the opti, whether it's bad or not. I really don't want to do that.
I had the same problem a while back when my opti went south, the water pump was still good. But I was coming up on 100,xxx miles on the pump and didnt want to chance of ruining a new opti in a few months knowing that the water pump was a ticking time bomb just waiting to go as well. I invested on another pump and knock out two projects at the same time. All this do was save me time down the road if the pump do fail.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:13 PM

Then, don't.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Then, don't.
Yeah I'll just keep it in there. My main question was about tapping the water pump to keep the weeper from weeping all over it.

I'm going to go ahead and tap it. Coming from Rob makes me feel a lot better about it too.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:35 PM

How about shielding the opti from a leaking weep hole? Weep holes are to let you know when your pump is headed south.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:38 PM

They usually don't last long after they start leaking, but it could over heat and possibly blow a head gasket.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by BUBBA
How about shielding the opti from a leaking weep hole? Weep holes are to let you know when your pump is headed south.
I know what weep holes are for. And if I run a hose from the weep hole to the ground, the only difference is the weeping coolant will go on cement and not the opti.

Have you shielded your opti? I thought about that, but I could never think of a way to shield it. I'd like to protect it all around. Water from the ground, puddles and leaks from above (intake, water pump, etc...). I'm going to be in a nice heated garage with a lot of tools so I'm going to get in there and see what I come up with.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:16 PM

Keep us informed on your progress.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:39 PM

I know what weep holes are for. And if I run a hose from the weep hole to the ground, the only difference is the weeping coolant will go on cement and not the opti.

Nothing at all wrong with that plan.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:27 PM

Water Pump Weep Hole

I recently installed an electric water pump from Mezeire. It came with a brass freeze plug to cover the weep hole, as well as the shaft and gear coming out of the back of the pump. This upgrade would definitely save your new opti from going the way the old one did.
If you are having some leakage at the weep hole, that's the early warning sign you are about to have a complete pump failure, soon. With 125,000 miles on the original, you definitely got your moneys worth out of it. And considering the amount of work you have in it to get to the opti, you'll be doing almost that much work a second time to replace that old pump when it goes out, did I mention soon?
I know everyone has an opinion, but mine is replace it while your there already, and don't have to do it again.

roadgod

Quick Reply: tapping water pump weep hole...