LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Taylor OVC kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 10:23 AM

Taylor OVC kit

hey, i just burnt a plug wire... took longer than i expected.. 2½ weeks!

but i have never changed plug wires in these cars, especially the taylor OVC wires.. .anything i have to keep in mind? tips... tricks? and how easy are these wire to crimp? i have heard peopel mess up and have to buy another kit...

thx!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:18 AM

Re: Taylor OVC kit

Crimping these wires is easy, it's putting the opti-boot on that's diffecult. I've tried grease, oil, heat but found that KY lubricating jel is the best for slipping them on.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:21 PM

Silicon spray works well too, cover the wire and spray it inside the boot- it's also good for cleaning the wires when they get dirty for some reason. Crimping isn't that hard, I don't see why you would have to buy another kit. If you mess up the terminals you can call Taylor and they will send you more(just tell them you were missing a couple from the box)- and leave yourself extra length on the wire in case you have to cut it short and re-do.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:19 PM

Yea just silicone the heck outta everything - it wont hurt the wires. You'll find your own meathod of holding them that works best to get the boots in, might be kinda tough at first because your hands will probably have silicone on them.

Crimping isn't bad - with the tool they give you, you will not get the best crimps, just be sure the crimps hold well. Before you put the terminal crimp on the wire, bend the two tabs inward so they just barely fit over the wire (so the metal terminal can stay on by itself, making for easier crimping).

Give yourself 30mins to an hour to remove old wires....depending on how gentle you are. And be careful when running wires thru looms on valve covers - when loosening the little screws, I dropped the small washers underneath 3 times which added at least an hour of time.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:13 PM

ahh, i didnt think getting the opti boots on would be that bad....
i've crimped many wires, mostly cat 5.. lol... so hopefully you guys are right and that wont be that big of a deal.

why is it so diffucult to crimp the opti boots?
Old 03-23-2005, 03:49 PM

It's difficult to get the boot to slide over the wire. Slide the boot up the wire, crimp, then slide the boot back over. I actually found it easiest to slide the boot back over after connecting the newly crimped wire to the opti. I used silicone the first time and found it difficult even being extremely liberal with silicone it was still tough to slide the boot back over, I used di-electric grease the second time I did my wires and it worked much better for me.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:16 PM

ahh i see what you mean... thats cool... i didnt know the boots were seperate from the connectors... thanks!!
Old 03-23-2005, 07:35 PM

If you haven't seen it yet THIS install guide will help you. I also used the silicone spray--just use A LOT of it--I didn't on a few and they were a PITA. Also, be sure to route the wire exactly the way you want it and give yourself a couple inches extra before cutting. Be sure to get some tie wraps to keep everything tight (especially when routing under the alternator and behind the balancer/hub).
Old 03-23-2005, 07:37 PM

ok sweet, i was looking for a good install guide... thx!!
Old 03-25-2005, 08:52 AM

www.elitesparkplugs.com They make OTVC wire kits cut to fit already for like $80. The crimping and cutting isnt too bad. I just used the dieletric grease they provided.