LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Tc?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 01:04 AM

Tc?

im running my 2800 tc without a cooler, do you think its wise to do so or would you buy a cooler
Old 06-28-2003, 01:07 AM

definately buy a cooler, i put mine in the radiator opening under the car and mounted it with the air dam bolts by bending the mounting flange on it (its a b and m cooler) routed it through the new cooler and than into the factory cooler and back to the tranny. hope this helps, prorac1
Old 06-28-2003, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Prorac1
definately buy a cooler, i put mine in the radiator opening under the car and mounted it with the air dam bolts by bending the mounting flange on it (its a b and m cooler) routed it through the new cooler and than into the factory cooler and back to the tranny. hope this helps, prorac1
yeah so far i havent had any problems, had it on my car for 3 months now, but its getting hot outside now and just wanted to be sure, ive herd from few of my buddies an additional oil cooler is not required for high performance converters used in typical street or strip applications Care should always be exercised when runup is made at the start line. Any excess time at stall puts the converter at risk due to heat build up. This type of heat buildup would not be saved with a cooler due to the time involved to get rid of the heat. If a vehicle is to be used in towing, an added cooler is a must. However, for normal use, added cooling is not required. The better the converter is designed, the more efficient it will be and the lower the amount of heat that is generated
Old 06-28-2003, 02:27 AM

All that may be true but do you wanna take the chance and maybe pay for a rebuild?
Tranny cooler is cheap and easy to install.
I put a B&M in mine and I am also putting in a cast deep tranny pan.
Sucker should not get hot now.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:47 AM

Originally posted by revtime
All that may be true but do you wanna take the chance and maybe pay for a rebuild?
Tranny cooler is cheap and easy to install.
I put a B&M in mine and I am also putting in a cast deep tranny pan.
Sucker should not get hot now.
where did you buy your B@M at, and how much did it cost, give me a site to look it up thanks
Old 06-28-2003, 08:18 AM

This is the one I got. Install is very simple, here's a guide just incase..

For the $$, a cooler is some damn cheap insurance on an expensive part. I'd definitely get one.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:20 AM

Tranny coolers can be purchased at most retail chains, Autozone, O reely, Advance, etc. I got mine at Autozone when I worked there so I got 20 percent discount but usually they run about 45 to 50 bucks and a Hayden is cheaper and does the same thing.
Now the tranny pan is expensive, the cast one like I have runs about 170, again I got 20 percent discount. B&M also makes a chrome pan that is much cheaper than the cast one and still gives you the extra capacity. If the car is lowered I would stay away from the deep pan as it hangs lower. I have a drag launch kit from Eibach so my car sits a little higher than stock. I have great ground clearance but I don,t have the cool stance.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:24 AM

Just to warn you, I would not use that install guide.
He drilled holes in his air dam, totally uncalled for.
Use the one Brent has on his site.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:26 AM

Thumbs up

Good point.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by jkipp84
Good point.
ok guys thanks, one more question, i dont have to change my tranny pan, thats just an extra option you did right, just the cooler should be enough im sure
Old 06-28-2003, 11:16 AM

No, a new pan isn't necessary at all.