LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Temp Gauge Sending Units Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 AM

Temp Gauge Sending Units Install Help

I grabbed a couple AutoMeter electric gauges for my car (tranny, and engine temp), and did some homework, but still have quite a few questions.

Engine Temp Sending Unit
The factory temp sensor is located between the first two tube on the driver's side head. I know that I am not supposed to tee that hole and run both sending units as it will give false readings. I have read it is best put the new sending unit into the passenger side head in the back between the two rear header tubes. There is a plug located between the two rear head tubes that I am supposed to be able to pull and install my sending unit there. Since GM used the front plug on the drivers side and the heads are the same but reversed on the passenger side head then this port should work. However I read that I need an adapter (-AN fitting) to make this work. I don't know anythign about -AN stuff other then it works good, cost alot more then I normally like to spend on fittings, and looks pretty.

So my first question is:
What kinda adapter/fitting do I need to use the passenger side head port between the rear header tubes to put my temp gauge sending unit in there?

[B]Second question:[/B
]I noticed there is also plug in the front between the first two header pipes as well. Is this also ok to use to hook up my sending unit as it is so much more accessible, and would save a lot of backaches.

Third question:
Are any of you running your AutoMeter engine temp gauges someplace else or in some way that perhaps would be better? I noticed that Fred (Injuneer) has some sorta block he made and affixed to one of the radiator hoses.

Tranny Temperature Sending Unit
Now the two most popular ways I have found that people are hooking up the tranny temp sending unit is either putting a hole in the tranny pan using the supplied bung and putting it in there. I do not have access to welding equipment so that idea is kinda shot. I could use that putty crap, but I am not a big fan of it, and would like to stay away from it if possible.

However the other way is to buy a tee and hook it into the tranny cooler return line. This will read the tranny temp after its been cooled and headed back into the tranny pan correct? This seems like the best and only real solution for me.

I also read that there is a spot on the case (tranny line pressure plug) that you are supposed to be able to directly screw in the sending unit, but I read that it gives you a false reading due to being attached to the case, and that it creates a dead end flow reading. Any truth or thoughts on this? Suggestions are welcomed! Thanks everyone.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:34 PM

im interested in these questions also
Old 10-10-2007, 02:02 PM

Heh I just knew you would be you always seem to post in my threads. I think you and I mod on the same time schedule .
Old 10-10-2007, 02:55 PM

Last time I had an automatic I put a filter on the line to the trans cooler in the radiator. Since that unit had a place for the sensor on it, I added one. After watching it for about a week, I ran out and bought an add-on trans cooler too.

I didn't think the stock hole in the head was an AN, I thought it was 3/8" npt. I went with a dual sensor to replace the stock one in the water pump off a different model GM so if I ever want a head temp gauge, I'll just use the stock location.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:34 PM

I relocated my temp sensor to the water pump using a three wire in place of the two wire sensor. It does double duty as coolant temp sensor for the PCM and sender for the guage. I have a plugged hole in my head where the old one was. Here is a link that might help. http://www.theherd.com/articles/lt4_temp.html You can then put your aftermarket guage in the drivers side head.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Administrator

You won't need an -AN fitting to put the temp sensor in. The only -AN fitting on an LT1 is the Schrader valve on the fuel supply hardline into the passenger side rail.

Check Shoebox's site... I think he has the thread specs for the hole in the head. Typically, the sensors use NPT threads. Your AutoMeter gauge should have come with an adapter for different size NPT threads.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by godspeed1976
Heh I just knew you would be you always seem to post in my threads. I think you and I mod on the same time schedule .
lol i post in everyone's threads
Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 PM

....I also read that there is a spot on the case (tranny line pressure plug) that you are supposed to be able to directly screw in the sending unit, but I read that it gives you a false reading due to being attached to the case, and that it creates a dead end flow reading. Any truth or thoughts on this? Suggestions are welcomed! Thanks everyone.
I have had a sender located in the pressure port and also in the pan. I never saw any difference in temps.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:20 AM

I just finished installing the autometer temp gauge in my SS and the adapter in the kit wouldn't fit the block plug on the drivers side. So i went to orilies and got their acessories package for an oil sending unit and it had the right adapter for the temp. "Equus Performance guage accessories" is what it is called and the part number is 9801 they call it a nylon tubing kit. It was like 8 bucks for the kit and it was the only place i could find the adapter.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:59 AM

For the tranny temp, I would be more interested in the temp of the fluid in the tranny. While it could be useful to get information on how hot the cooled fluid is, its not really what you are looking for. I would use this as an excuse to change the tranny fluid. Take the plan to a shop and have them add the bung for you. I can see anyone charging more than 20-30$ for such a simple job.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by bingo
I relocated my temp sensor to the water pump using a three wire in place of the two wire sensor. It does double duty as coolant temp sensor for the PCM and sender for the guage. I have a plugged hole in my head where the old one was. Here is a link that might help. http://www.theherd.com/articles/lt4_temp.html You can then put your aftermarket guage in the drivers side head.
Now that makes total sense...I think I will go that route. I mean $8 for a plastic fitting or 14 for a new sensor thats gonna read in the best posible temp posistion. Thanks for posting that link.

Originally Posted by DrewHMS97SS
For the tranny temp, I would be more interested in the temp of the fluid in the tranny. While it could be useful to get information on how hot the cooled fluid is, its not really what you are looking for. I would use this as an excuse to change the tranny fluid. Take the plan to a shop and have them add the bung for you. I can see anyone charging more than 20-30$ for such a simple job.
Since the cooled tranny fluid is just going directly into the pan after the cooler I dont see why a sensor in the pan is going to read any different than in the cooler line. Now if it was located near the converter that would be a great place.

I have new tranny fluid already. I ponied up to fill it with Royal Purple when I did the stall install earlier this year. Kinda another reason why I dont wanna pull the pan, and put the bung there. That stuff is expensive to fill a tranny with! However you are absolutely right I can't see a shop changing me much to weld one on.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:59 AM

All this info seems fine and good about the "alternate" coolant temp location and all... but what's the point?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:44 AM

Smile

godspeed1976:
The water temp port will accept a 3/8 NPT sensor or 1/4 x 3/8 NPT adapter bushing.

SS RRR: "but what's the point?"
I use it for a third water temp sensor for a buzzer alarm and idiot light.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
All this info seems fine and good about the "alternate" coolant temp location and all... but what's the point?
Im not following you?

Were is a good place to mount a temp gauge sending unit. I could just pull the stock gauge sending unit, but I dont really want a irractic temp reading, and a dead temp guage on my console.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by NJ-LE
godspeed1976:
SS RRR: "but what's the point?"
I use it for a third water temp sensor for a buzzer alarm and idiot light.
I can see using it for something like that, but to just simply reference between the variance of the two temperatures it just doesn't seem like it's worth it.

Im not following you?

Were is a good place to mount a temp gauge sending unit. I could just pull the stock gauge sending unit, but I dont really want a irractic temp reading, and a dead temp guage on my console.
If it were me I'd rather fix the cause and not the symptom.

Quick Reply: Temp Gauge Sending Units Install Help