LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

temperature problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 03:14 PM

temperature problem

This just started yesterday...I am driving, and all of a sudden the temp gage, jumps right into the red zone within a second or two..stays there for a little bit, then drops back down to where it should be...Slowly rises over the next few minutes, then spikes into the red again, this time stays there for a while, then slowly drops a bit, just underneath the red line(it normally runs about 1/3 of the way up)
anyone ever hear of this before....?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:19 PM

coolant level, fans, radiator cap, thermostat. Get it checked out. JMHO
Old 03-28-2007, 03:30 PM

I am mainly curious as to how the gage can jump around like that...I am heading back outside as soon as it cools down to check what I can...so far it looks like the fan is fine...hard to see it, but I can feel a breeze
Old 03-28-2007, 03:41 PM

sounds like a bad thermo to me, id replace it and see what happens. yesterday i installed a 160 degree hypertech for $25 but you could get a regular one for 10-15. yea do check the coolant level and bleed the system of air if any is in, its the goldish brownzish screw to the left of the intake
Old 03-28-2007, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by oneclean97z
sounds like a bad thermo to me, id replace it and see what happens. yesterday i installed a 160 degree hypertech for $25 but you could get a regular one for 10-15. yea do check the coolant level and bleed the system of air if any is in, its the goldish brownzish screw to the left of the intake
thanks, I am heading out to check the coolant level now...thermo was my next bet...sad thing is I will have to look in the book to see where it is...things were so much more simple with my '86 TA
Old 03-28-2007, 03:47 PM

I'd say the coolant was low.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:54 PM

take off the intake, its in front and below the throttle body and theres two small bolts to undo to take off the housing, its got a black hose coming from it you'll see it
Old 03-28-2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
I'd say the coolant was low.
happened to me once while i was with my girl, felt like a idiot trying to figure it out acting all smart then she points out it was the level
Old 03-28-2007, 04:12 PM

damn I hate this car....it took a lot of coolant, so was obviously low...but the gage is now spiked off the end, way past red, no way the car could actually be that hot and not seized...I think I will still go pick up a thermo
Old 03-28-2007, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by needsize
damn I hate this car....it took a lot of coolant, so was obviously low...but the gage is now spiked off the end, way past red, no way the car could actually be that hot and not seized...I think I will still go pick up a thermo
You likely have air in the system, now, if you did not fill it the correct way. You need to bleed it.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:24 PM

Get a new cap while your at it. A bad cap will allow coolant to boil and overflow because of loss of pressure which results in loss of coolant. Stat might not be open yet....and what little coolant was in the engine would get hot might quick. Let the stat open up and see if the new coolant brings the temp down. Of course, you don't want it to over heat and risk damage.JMHO

Remember this a reverse cooled engine, so get the correct parts.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:29 PM

when you swap the thermo have a rag or something to catch the coolant because some of it might get into the optispark and ruin it, bad news. but yea bleed it also, afterwards though
Old 03-28-2007, 06:41 PM

how do I bleed the thing, I have a book here but its not clear enough, or I'm not smart enough
it sat there for a few hours, I changed the thermo, and started it, and the gauge was right off the scale, as far to the right as it can go, which no way it should do that upon starting after its sat for hours...I am wondering if the gauge is toast now?
Old 03-28-2007, 06:48 PM

okay, now what the hell, I just took if around the block, and its shuddering and hesitating, like there is something wrong with the engine...
Old 03-28-2007, 07:30 PM

after reading up here, seems like maybe I got some coolant on this optispark deal...how bad is that, any chance it will dry out, or am I looking at a new one....and if so, how much am I looking at for that part?

Quick Reply: temperature problem