LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

TFS/AI 383 dyno results (need tuning ha)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:19 PM

TFS/AI 383 dyno results (need tuning ha)

hey all just thought i'd post with the results of my forged 383 lt1 with AI's Trickflow 210cc heads and hydralick roller cam.

First off, i will scan the dyno sheet asap.
Second off, the tuner didnt show at the dyno so all they could do was run it to see what i was making so far.

According to the computer, as soon as he hit the gas the air-fuel ratio maxed out on there at 16.1 and it only made 375hp at around 6000rpm. Torque was 376ftlbs but i cant remember at what RPM but it was up there.
My eyes were burning from the exhaust so iam guessing a good dyno tune will straighten things up and produce a little better numbers i hope

My setup consits of:
forged 383
6speed Fidanza aluminum flywheel, spec stage3 clutch, 10bolt w/ eaton posi and 4:10's
Around 11:3:1 compression
Trickflow 210cc heads from AI, mid-sized hydralick roller cam (23x/23x 11x 56x), BBK 58mm TB, 42lb injectors, Areomotive fuel pressure regulator, walboro 255lph fuel pump, vortech inlet elbow, K&N FIPK, pacesetter longtubes to 2.5inch duals with x-pipe into 2 flowmaster delfta force race mufflers and dumps before axle.
Stock waterpump, MSD Opti cap and rotor, MSD 8mm wires, MSD 6AL ignition box and blaster coil.
Gasket matched intake, bored to 58mm, and few other details i cant think of at the moment since iam about half asleep.

The car also wont idle when its hot. Its to the point where i almost t-boned someone because it shut off as soon as i hit the brakes when some lady on a cell phone pulled out in front of me.
I temporarily fixed it by turning the idle screw on the TB out so now it idles at 1000rpm hot or cold.
Figuring it might be something with the tune thats on it now? It has a base tune by Jeff Creech currently.

Any opinions on my dyno #'s or the idle problem?
Any suggestions or input appreciated.

Thanks

*EDIT-also running a Walbro 255lph fuel pump.*

Last edited by coolraptor; 04-20-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:23 PM

Is the car tuned for 42# injectors? If not, that is a big part of your idle problem.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:35 PM

First off with the work done you will for sure need a better tune, and go with a street TUNE not and dyno tune, street tunes are BETTER. case in point, all the installs that Lingenfelter does, when he tunes, he will NOT give you a dyno sheet of the car, because he doesn't know. They are ALL street tuned by Lingenfelter.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:35 PM

Iam assuming it is, i gave all the specs when i sent the PCM out. Unless i sent the wrong injector size info which i dont think i would have but ya know anything is possible....
Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the reply btw
Old 04-20-2008, 10:40 PM

I wouldn't worry about the numbers until you get a good tune. Just double check everything before you go in for the dyno tune. Check valve lash and vacumm leaks, intake restrictions etc.

Get a good tune and sort things out, then worry about numbers.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:45 PM

im not really concerned about the numbers that much, as it still runs pretty strong as is. I just figured it might be a sign of a problem/tune issue is all. As far as iam concerned it can dyno 200hp if it still makes good time on the track and feels good lol
Old 04-20-2008, 10:47 PM

do you have a datamaster? You need to figure out whats going on there
Old 04-20-2008, 10:55 PM

i downloaded the software at one point but dont have a cable

I have a cable from my scanner but i dont think it will plug into the laptop...will have to double check
Old 04-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Banned

keep a look out on that aeromotive afpr, they have had alot of problems.....I would think your mail order tune should be closer than maxing out the afr. Take it easy until thats fixed before you blow it up...
Old 04-20-2008, 11:05 PM

I dont plan on running it hard untill all is well, no worries.
I hooked a fuel pressure gauge up and ran WOT and thru town with the FPR and it held at 39-40psi at WOT and about 38 at idle. I disconnected the vacum line to it and the fuel pressure would go up or down a few PSI but nothing major. Few others took a look at it also and said it appeared to be operating fine, what do you think????
Old 04-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by coolraptor
I dont plan on running it hard untill all is well, no worries.
I hooked a fuel pressure gauge up and ran WOT and thru town with the FPR and it held at 39-40psi at WOT and about 38 at idle. I disconnected the vacum line to it and the fuel pressure would go up or down a few PSI but nothing major. Few others took a look at it also and said it appeared to be operating fine, what do you think????
43 at a min. I have always run mine higher......but a have always run off the wall back woods stuff. And I was too poor to get injectors so I ran the pressure sky high
Old 04-20-2008, 11:21 PM

oh wow lol
howd that work out for ya
Old 04-21-2008, 12:39 AM

You should have gotten out of it when you saw the a/f, hopefully you didn't hurt the engine with it being that lean.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by coolraptor
According to the computer, as soon as he hit the gas the air-fuel ratio maxed out on there at 16.1 and it only made 375hp at around 6000rpm. Torque was 376ftlbs but i cant remember at what RPM but it was up there.
My eyes were burning from the exhaust so iam guessing a good dyno tune will straighten things up and produce a little better numbers i hope
Those two statements sound like a contradiction..... 16:1 is very lean. You're saying it was 16:1 at the hit of the throttle, and stayed there during the entire pull? Burning eyes sounds rich. I'm surprised they even ran the pull out to 6000rpm with it running that lean.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 AM

for the sake of the engine if that A/F is true then you best stay out of the gas until you get it tuned!

Quick Reply: TFS/AI 383 dyno results (need tuning ha)