LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

TFS/AI 383 dyno results (need tuning ha)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 PM

You definitely need to get those issues sorted out. 16:1 = Lean condition/ very high temperatures/ detonation/ component failure. I used to run the aeromotive afpr, but it literally fell apart in my hands. I am lucky it happened while dyno testing and not driving, it could of burned the car to the ground. Dyno numbers are just a part of the total package; the correct operating conditions should be the main focus.

When you where at the dyno, how was the O2 hooked up? Was it a probe in the tail pipe, or a sensor in the collector of the header? If it’s in the header, how far is it until the exit of the exhaust system? Do you have any sort of scanner?

I would definitely tow it to the shop as a precaution. It would be lame to scrub the new engine because of a bad calibration. I am a tuner in the Cleveland area, and I have some experience with the LT-1. If you need a hand, or if you have tuning related questions, feel free to send me a pm.

Good luck with the car.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:09 PM
Administrator

You said you were going to scan the dyno sheet. Did you ever do that? Does it have the A/F ratio graph on it? Are you sure it was "16.1" since that isn't the way A/F ratio is expressed. Several people have typed it the correct way (16:1). but you keep typing "16.1".
Old 04-22-2008, 07:14 PM

are the a/f probes they put in the exhaust tips very accurate??
Old 04-22-2008, 09:13 PM

gonna go scan it now, sorry for the delay. It has the air fuel ratio on it, but i cant make out the numbers on it.

I remember seeing 16 1 i duno if it was a : or a . but there was a bar underneith it on the computer screen and it went from yellow to red (left to right) at the hit of the throttle.
Iam not sure how the dyno hooked up the O2 sensors, i didnt even look it was already on there when i showed up and after they ran it i walked outside to talk about it with the guy i had doing the work on it.

526ss, your not "steve'' from backstreet performance are ya? Thats who i was supposed to have do the tuning but his daughter got put in the hospital so he couldnt make it.

Looks like i cant get it tuned this weekend also, dyno not available. Got some stuff coming up but im gonna try to get it back up there ASAP.

Ill go scan that now, give me a few minutes to figure out how to use the scanner please
Old 04-22-2008, 09:31 PM

not sure if this will work but here it goes:

If it wont show up, go here http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2941005

and look at the bottom of the page.

Forgive me for being really stupid if iam looking at the dyno sheet wrong. I just know i saw those numbers on the computer screen when it was being dyno'd.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 PM

It isn't anywhere close to 16:1 at WOT. At idle it hunts for a target of ~14:1, and as you dip into it, it richens, which your graph shows.

Last edited by SS MPSTR; 04-23-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:38 PM

so my dumb@ss was looking at something wrong then?
Just outta curiousity how does it look (afr)?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:45 PM

the graph looks to be showing signs of an ignition issue also.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:48 PM

Where do you see the ignition issue, towards the higher RPM's?

It had the high and low resolution pulse codes in it one time last year but they have not showed up since then.

To answer whoever asked if i had a scanner, i have a CAN OBD1-2 Scanner but it will not communicate with this car for some reason.
When its plugged in the fuel pump will run non stop once i do KOEO for about 3minutes then it will say it cant communicate.

Last edited by coolraptor; 04-22-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:52 PM

yeah mine had issues up top on my old motor, like that, and it was the opti fart. Hopefully for you it will be something else. Atleast you are going in the correct direction and not having to take it back down.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:31 PM

ahh yes gotta love those opti's
Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 AM

Send Aleks a PM for some tuning, he might have a bit of experience with a similar setup. Your graph is showing 13.0-14.0 AFR throughout the run. It is lean, but that appears to be the least of your concerns. Your car is probably fine to drive to your dyno tune. It's not that far off AFr wise, but don't drive crazy. Aleks might also have some ideas for you setup.

Wait for a dyno tune before looking for power, but did you degree the cam? What is your valve lash at? And I can 100% garuntee that intake setup is holding you back.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:51 AM

coolraptor: No, I am not Steve. My name is Aleks. I have used the dyno at back street. I was there once and I don't remember their names, but they seem cool.

You are definitely too lean at 2,000 rpm. Ironically, you are potentially causing more damage by "driving like an old man", than you would be beating on it. Another thing to consider is the A/F data you have only represents the WOT pull. The fuel table can potentially be way wrong for any of the load cells below 100 KPA. It is probably a safe assumption given your problem with idling. Also, there is a good chance that nothing is wrong with your ignition. Too many people are chasing an ignition miss when in fact it's usually improper timing, or mixture, or both. If you get an intermittent opti code, I would check every female connector in the opti harness and the ICM harness. If you don't know, the male connector makes contact with a metal tab that's folded over in the female connector. Over time, or testing (jamming probes in) the tabs can get folded over too much, resulting in a bad connection. They will plug in fine and the continuity will check out (due to the probe making contact with the sides of the terminal), but the actual pin does not touch the sides of the terminal. Check out the pictures on this page to get a decent visual idea of what I am talking about.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by tireburnin
Wait for a dyno tune before looking for power, but did you degree the cam? What is your valve lash at?
Important details.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:21 PM

hey

Ive already paid the $$ for the tune up at backstreet and have already ran on their dyno, i doubt i could get any money back out of it
That said, ill find out about lash and cam dgereeing for you but if all that checks out does this look like a tuning problem or something worse?

I will check with the man who assembled everything about the cam degreeing and valve lash. I wasnt there the day he put the bottom end together and i forgot what he told me he put the valve lash at but ill find out. Hopefully he remembers, its been a while.

As for the intake, what would you recommend i do? This would be in the future a little ways due to money reasons (or lack there of) but are you talking about like a 'race' ported stock intake by Ai or something like that?

Thanks for the replies eveyrone,

Quick Reply: TFS/AI 383 dyno results (need tuning ha)