LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

TFS/AI 383 dyno results (need tuning ha)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by coolraptor
hey

Ive already paid the $$ for the tune up at backstreet and have already ran on their dyno, i doubt i could get any money back out of it
That said, ill find out about lash and cam dgereeing for you but if all that checks out does this look like a tuning problem or something worse?

I will check with the man who assembled everything about the cam degreeing and valve lash. I wasnt there the day he put the bottom end together and i forgot what he told me he put the valve lash at but ill find out. Hopefully he remembers, its been a while.

As for the intake, what would you recommend i do? This would be in the future a little ways due to money reasons (or lack there of) but are you talking about like a 'race' ported stock intake by Ai or something like that?

Thanks for the replies eveyrone,
I meant your K&N intake. It will be a restriction for a car like yours that is capable of pulling in some huge air. Not necessary to change it now, but there are better options out there when funds permit. Feel free to PM when you reach that point.

If your cam was degreed and installed acordingly, then you're fine there. Lash should have been 1/8ish of a turn (at least I had mine there and it worked great).

Tuning will pick up a ton. When I dynotuned mine from the base tune to get me to the dyno, I picked up like 30+ rwhp. Good luck on the dyno and at the track.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:07 PM

hey

Ive already paid the $$ for the tune up at backstreet and have already ran on their dyno, i doubt i could get any money back out of it
That said, ill find out about lash and cam dgereeing for you but if all that checks out does this look like a tuning problem or something worse?

I will check with the man who assembled everything about the cam degreeing and valve lash. I wasnt there the day he put the bottom end together and i forgot what he told me he put the valve lash at but ill find out. Hopefully he remembers, its been a while.

As for the intake, what would you recommend i do? This would be in the future a little ways due to money reasons (or lack there of) but are you talking about like a 'race' ported stock intake by Ai or something like that?

Thanks for the replies eveyrone,

If you think an unported intake is holding back 50+rwhp it isn't, I made the #'s in sig with a stock intake. I'de wait till its tuned before deciding if there is anything wrong with it.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:55 PM

speed_demon, i misunderstood and thought he meant my intake manifold, instead of my K&N cold air thing, my bad.

So far i cant get ahold of the guy who assembled my engine but i got in touch with another guy who works with him and said that he most likely would NOT have degreed the cam and probably just installed it period.
He didnt have any idea what he would have set the lash too.

tireburnin, thanks for the info I never would have thought of the K&N setup as a restriction. Learn something new everyday i guess
Old 04-28-2008, 12:26 AM

for anyone still reading this, iam supposed to get it dyno tuned this weekend. Ill post back with the results.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:17 AM

for anyone still reading this, iam supposed to get it dyno tuned this weekend. Ill post back with the results.
Please do. I'll be waiting and good luck.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:00 PM

Ok quick update. Ill scan the dyno sheet later tonight hopefully.

New all-motor pass made max 383hp and 369lbs of torque. Tuner said its running out of air at about 6k RPM's??

The nitrous pass showed max 517hp(i think) and 575lbs or torque
^^That was after a nice nitrous backfire on the first attempt that took care of that pesky cold air intake and air filter

Ill try to post more details and a scan of the dyno sheet after bit.

Comments/questions/suggestions welcome!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 04:59 PM

"running out of air"???? Did it start building a lot of vacuum?

What caused the nitrous backfire and any chance it hurt something like oh say the MAF???

Glad you made progress but I still thenk there are problems.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Kaj

Yeah...If you had a nitrous backfire, your MAF sensor is likely fugged. I'd say you still have some problems to work out before you can successfully be feeding that car n2o as previously stated.

You need to work out these bugs...hopefully nothing is seriously messed up.

Last edited by Kaj; 05-05-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:30 PM

*EDIT-The nitrous kit is a Nitrous Express wet 150shot.*

'running out of air' the tuner said that the intake manifold was not able to pull in enough air to keep building power. Its stock, except for gasket matching and the throttle body bores were enlarged. Comments???

We checked the MAF and all appears to be fine. It wasnt reading funny and it physically appears to be sound.
As for what caused the backfire, all they said was 'it happens sometimes' after he checked how it was plumbed and everything. He said everything looks good. Its plumbed into the vortech elbow in front of the divider thing. The divider thing has been notched out so the nozzle can spray as evenly as possible to both sides.

I agree there might still be other problems. From what ive read it should read alot higher HP numbers on all motor. It runs good dont get me wrong, but like i said from what i hear it should read a little higher????

I dont plan on feeding the nitrous to it for a while now. The one nitrous run we did after the backfire munched something in the t56 to where its hard to find 5th and 6th gear now. Feels like the whole 'H' pattern is missing or something, kinda odd??

And i still have a stock 10bolt with 4:10's so it wont like the n20 either.

Will post dyno graph here in a bit. Gotta get off the phone with the girlyfriend first because i have to go next door and use a relatives scanner.

Last edited by coolraptor; 05-05-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:07 PM

Who is your tuner?

The stock intake can go a good bit higher without any porting, with porting it is proven to support more rear wheel power than you have flywheel.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:13 PM

Everyone just calls him 'Steve' i dont know his last name, but i will try to get it for you.

Thats what i thought about the stock intake...
Old 05-05-2008, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by tireburnin
I meant your K&N intake. It will be a restriction for a car like yours that is capable of pulling in some huge air. Not necessary to change it now, but there are better options out there when funds permit. Feel free to PM when you reach that point.
Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
"running out of air"???? Did it start building a lot of vacuum?
That was after a nice nitrous backfire on the first attempt that took care of that pesky cold air intake and air filter
Maybe tireburnin would like to share his knowledge with everyone on this?

I think coolraptor has a reason to change things after the nitrous backfire took care of the CAI already.

What is being done differently to get more air into the motor?
Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 PM

I patched up everything temporarily on the cold air intake believe it or not. I had a 5 hour trip to make after the dyno so i didnt want to run without an air filter of some sort.
Here is the dyno graph for those interested:

Old 05-05-2008, 09:16 PM

The KN intake is garbage for a high reving motor that flows a lot of air. Switch to something that gets more air in.

I am curious why that motor peaked so early power wise. A better flowing intake will help a lot, as will a cutout. What was your vacumm like on the dyno? Depending on how bad it is, it can be 20-30hp. Work on getting more air in and out.

After you are sure you don't have intake restrictions, I would start looking for mechanical issues. My 355 with 190cc LT1 heads made 20 more rwtq than your car. Check lifter preload and find out from your engine builder if your cam was degreed. What timing chain are you running?

Have fun with the car, but be ready to hunt down your extra 50-70rwhp. If you think the car is great/fast now, sorting out whatever is causing your issue will be like a permanent 75 shot.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 PM

Ok i'll work on the K&N setup. Would you suggest another 'cold air' style setup or maybe a ramair kit of some sort instead?

Right now i gotta put some money away for t56 parts.
The one nitrous run we did after the backfire munched something in the t56 to where its hard to find 5th and 6th gear now. Feels like the whole 'H' pattern is missing or something, kinda odd?? Any idea on whats wrong with it and/or how to fix it so it can handle the nitrous shot?

I was told the the cam was not degreed.
I will find out about the lifter preload. Not to sound totally stupid here but is adjusting lifter preload the same as adjusting the valves? Do they speak of the same thing is what iam asking?
Its late and iam running on a few hours sleep so forgive me if that question is retarded.

My exhaust consists of longtube pacesetters to 2.5inch duals, x-pipe, and dual flowmaster delta force race mufflers and dumps at the axle. I wouldnt have thought a cutout would benefit all that much considering my current setup is pretty decent from what ive heard but ill keep the cutout in mind.

Iam looking forward to getting the tranny and rear end bit taken care of so i can search for the rest of the all-motor power. I once read that nitrous is like a hot chick with an std, you know ya wanna hit it but your afraid of the consequences
That said, ill probably only use it off and on and at the track only so having more all-motor power would be a plus also.

Thanks for the replies everyone,

Quick Reply: TFS/AI 383 dyno results (need tuning ha)