LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

thepartsladi(Ebay) Opti question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:41 PM

thepartsladi(Ebay) Opti question

After searching here it seems the consensus is these are legit optis. However I notice that these are Delphi instead of AC Delco's. I know Delphi is a GM supplier but I was under the impression that the Delcos are really the only true OEM opti. Did Delphi take over making these? I am just looking for a bit of reassurance that these are lasting and working well for people. Thanks.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:52 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Do they no longer carry AC/Delco? They used to list both. My guess would be that Delphi has always made all of the optis for GM, but that's just a semi-educated guess.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Back around the year 2000, GM bundled many of its OEM parts divisions into "Delphi" and sold it off to raise cash. Delphi is now the GM parts supplier for many of their parts new and replacement, since they are the same factories that produced the parts originally. They just happen to be owned by a different, publicly traded company, not GM.

Unfortunately, Delphi went Chapter 11 back around 2004, and is still in severe financial trouble, threatening to sell off most of their plants. They have asked the unions to void all contracts and accept reduced wages so they can stay in business. The speculation is that there will by a strike by Delphi employees, which would shut down GM and possible force GM into bankruptcy. GM is selling off their highly profitable GMAC finance company, to raise quick cash.

Sad times.......
Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
They have asked the unions to void all contracts and accept reduced wages so they can stay in business. The speculation is that there will by a strike by Delphi employees, which would shut down GM and possible force GM into bankruptcy.
Nope, no strike by Delphi. Delphi's employees are currently making that lower wage. Most of their original employees either took a buyout, early retirement, or made their way back into GM assembly plants.

But, American Axle that supplies GM is currently on strike for doing exactly what you are saying. The GM plant where I work has been down nearly six weeks waiting on rear axles.

The state of the American Auto industry and their suppliers is in sad shape.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Back around the year 2000, GM bundled many of its OEM parts divisions into "Delphi" and sold it off to raise cash. Delphi is now the GM parts supplier for many of their parts new and replacement, since they are the same factories that produced the parts originally. They just happen to be owned by a different, publicly traded company, not GM.

Unfortunately, Delphi went Chapter 11 back around 2004, and is still in severe financial trouble, threatening to sell off most of their plants. They have asked the unions to void all contracts and accept reduced wages so they can stay in business. The speculation is that there will by a strike by Delphi employees, which would shut down GM and possible force GM into bankruptcy. GM is selling off their highly profitable GMAC finance company, to raise quick cash.

Sad times.......

Thats why my GMAC center closed down in south shore harbor where I worked back in the day.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:58 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-93...ayphotohosting

This is the Opti in question.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:43 AM

to answer your question, the Delphi is OEM and that's what I would buy
Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 AM

Today, AC Delco is nothing more than a brand name that is slapped onto parts made by a variety of different manufacturers. GM owns the rights to the name and gets some % of $ on each sale. We hope that, as consumers of parts using this name, that the quality is of a higher caliber, but I always have doubts about that.

Warren
Old 04-15-2008, 09:04 AM

The Delphi is ok. Everything is the same as AC Delco, just a different name on it. I know someone who bought one and is using it. Delphi has probably been making them all along anyways.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:33 AM

Looks like my stock delco in the pic bought several years ago .

Last edited by Dave1980; 04-15-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:44 AM

Looks exactly like the Delco opti I bought from summit a couple months ago.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:27 PM

i believe delphi is the company remanufactureing the opti now as well
Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 PM

I ordered a Delphi opti from Thepartsladi.

Here's the box it came in.

And here's the opti.

The drive looks the same as the one on the GM unit that came out and it runs great.

You be the judge .
Old 04-15-2008, 09:41 PM

I bought one from them around christmas time and it was an ac delco. Ill be they are probably the same thing with a differnt sticker on the box.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:54 PM

That looks a little different than the AC Delco I have sitting here. THE ACD doesn't have those outlines in the tan area.

Quick Reply: thepartsladi(Ebay) Opti question