LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

is there a hose or vac line that needs to be here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:49 PM

is there a hose or vac line that needs to be here?

posted 2 pics one up high and one down low, the black hose has a nipple and i dont know it a hose needs to be there or not.

Name:  Picture043.jpg
Views: 2265
Size:  115.4 KB

thanks for all the help and sorry for all the post but the guy that put in the motor sucks. i have been trying to get it all right.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:47 PM

sick9lt1:
It appears to be where the filtered air supply hose to the air injection pump starts at. If you've removed or disabled pump for the air injection to the exhaust manifolds then just put a cap on the nipple to seal it otherwise you be pulling unfiltered air through the throttle body.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by NJ-LE
sick9lt1:
It appears to be where the filtered air supply hose to the air injection pump starts at. If you've removed or disabled pump for the air injection to the exhaust manifolds then just put a cap on the nipple to seal it otherwise you be pulling unfiltered air through the throttle body.
i did not remove anything that hose comrs off the big azz thing of my header. i cant think of what it is called but i need to know if i ned to cap it or if a hose goes somewhere
Old 06-06-2009, 06:23 PM

sick9lt1:
If that hose (hard to see ... I'll bet it's difficult to photograph too!) is still attached to the air pump then it would have gone to a nipple on the intake pipe. I just noticed you have an aftermarket CAI. The factory plastic pipe has that nipple. When a new CAI doesn't have that nipple most people keep the dirt out of the air pump with a valve cover breather to filter the air.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 PM

sick9lt1:
If that hose (hard to see ... I'll bet it's difficult to photograph too!) is still attached to the air pump then it would have gone to a nipple on the intake pipe. I just noticed you have an aftermarket CAI. The factory plastic pipe has that nipple. When a new CAI doesn't have that nipple most people keep the dirt out of the air pump with a valve cover breather to filter the air.

lol ok i got ya, yea it was a pai to photograph. so can i cap it off or just leave it.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Administrator

I think what you are looking at is the side discharge from the "vacuum bleed valve" in the line that comes out of the front of the AIR pump, and curves around to connect to the AIR piping that runs to the driver's side exhaust manifold, and then on the 93 models only, runs to the back of the engine and joins up with the EGR piping.

Take a look at the upper left corner of this diagram. It shows the vacuum bleed valve that is held by plastic clamps on both ends, to the curved line from the pump, and running up and over to the AIR piping to the manifold. That bleed valve does not have anything connected to the nipple that "tees" out of the side of it.

http://shbox.com/1/air_pump_recall.jpg

I just checked the AIR pump and hose that I pulled out of my 94. The vacuum bleed valve is black, and there is a white nylon nipple sticking out of the side of it. That nipple does not connect to anything.

Just FYI... Shoebox has a diagram of the 1993 AIR system piping. 93 is the only year that has it set up this way, with a single line from the AIR pump, to a "tee" above the driver's side AIR connection on the exhaust manifold, and continuing around the back of the engine to combine with the EGR system.

http://shbox.com/1/1993_air_egr.jpg
Old 06-07-2009, 08:44 AM

Old 06-07-2009, 09:47 AM

The complexity is amazing! What a waste of time, labor and money. All the air pumps, EGR valves, hoses, pipes, check valves, clamps, solenoids, vacuum taps, wiring and ECU programming that's mandated for virtually no effect. Most people who have eliminated these items, have no difficulty passing the emissions requirements. So sad. That said, good luck with the car.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Administrator

The complexity is amazing! What a waste of time, labor and money. All the air pumps, EGR valves, hoses, pipes, check valves, clamps, solenoids, vacuum taps, wiring and ECU programming that's mandated for virtually no effect. Most people who have eliminated these items, have no difficulty passing the emissions requirements. So sad. That said, good luck with the car.
The AIR pump in the 4th Gens is intended only to reduce pollution on cold start. It doesn't operate at any other time. I'm not aware of any state emissions testing that tests/measures emissions from a cold start, so its obvious that removing the system will not affect the results of the typical bi-annual emissions testing. The AIR system is effective on reducing cold start emissions, and helping the cat heat up faster to further reduce emissions. The engine probably puts a majority of its total emissions on cold starts.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The AIR pump in the 4th Gens is intended only to reduce pollution on cold start. It doesn't operate at any other time. I'm not aware of any state emissions testing that tests/measures emissions from a cold start, so its obvious that removing the system will not affect the results of the typical bi-annual emissions testing. The AIR system is effective on reducing cold start emissions, and helping the cat heat up faster to further reduce emissions. The engine probably puts a majority of its total emissions on cold starts.
Emissions testing?? Whats that???

Sorry I just love being able to run around with no Cats no EGR nor Smog pump and noone gives a rats ***.