LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Is there an "ideal" year LT1 to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 01:26 AM

Obd1 and vented opti only in '95- clear advantages. Also, they made almost three times as many '95s as any other year model. Check the production numbers.

I'm biased, and love the LT1, but If I had my choice and $13K as my budget, I'd probably go with the '98 or '99... As much as I love my car, the LS1s have a definate advantage. The heads are excellent and the coil pack ignition beats the opti hands down...

Now if you plan on doing a full blown race car, it's probably more of a wash...
Old 05-18-2003, 02:18 AM

Yeah... This is my ricer side stepping in but I just can't stand the LS1's front clip... Styling is totally unsuited for the stance of the car...

I just can't wait to be able to flip a switch, open up the QTEC(s) and set people's car alarms off/pop their ear drums/rattle the earth...
Old 05-18-2003, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by Ghettoraid
Yeah... This is my ricer side stepping in but I just can't stand the LS1's front clip... Styling is totally unsuited for the stance of the car...

I just can't wait to be able to flip a switch, open up the QTEC(s) and set people's car alarms off/pop their ear drums/rattle the earth...
there are alot of good deals on lt1's now just have to find one thats in your price range, ide go with 95 to 97 model years
Old 05-18-2003, 06:05 AM

Well, '95 or newer is the only general agreement you will get due the updated Optispark and the better M6 along with (v. the '93) more easily reporgrammed PCM.

OBDI v. OBDII is easy if you are in a state with tough emissions laws (Cali, maybe others) because with heavy mods there are lots of codes OBDII can throw and cause problems with the inspection. Otherwise while there isn't a huge difference, I'd say OBDI is easier to deal with. OTOH, the OBDII has advantages in terms of trouble shooting. The '96 and '97 have nicer interiors and nicer looking wheels.

Overall, I'd say pick the '95 or newer with the equipment and the condition/price that siuts you best and don't sweat the year beyond that unless you have to worry about the inspection issue. In that case, go for a '95.

Rich Krause
Old 05-18-2003, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by chasmanz28
there are alot of good deals on lt1's now just have to find one thats in your price range, ide go with 95 to 97 model years
Yeah I've already started my search... Found a couple that are in my area, going for around 7,500, plus or minus.

My price range has to include purchase price, and rebuild. Most I can go is really 8,500 for the car itself. Gonna be a lonng time. Heh.
Old 05-18-2003, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by rskrause
Well, '95 or newer is the only general agreement you will get due the updated Optispark and the better M6 along with (v. the '93) more easily reporgrammed PCM.

OBDI v. OBDII is easy if you are in a state with tough emissions laws (Cali, maybe others) because with heavy mods there are lots of codes OBDII can throw and cause problems with the inspection. Otherwise while there isn't a huge difference, I'd say OBDI is easier to deal with. OTOH, the OBDII has advantages in terms of trouble shooting. The '96 and '97 have nicer interiors and nicer looking wheels.

Overall, I'd say pick the '95 or newer with the equipment and the condition/price that siuts you best and don't sweat the year beyond that unless you have to worry about the inspection issue. In that case, go for a '95.

Rich Krause
I may have to worry about it at some point... my smogging connection probably won't last forever.

Last edited by Ghettoraid; 05-18-2003 at 06:29 AM.
Old 05-18-2003, 07:20 AM

Not to beat a dead horse, but the '95 is the best year.

-Vented optispark
-the easier to work with OBD-I

The only drawback is the infamous high stall problem that OBD-II doesn't have. I have a feeling that may be fixed this year though.

If you're gonna have a motor rebuilt, then you can probably go with a 94 as well. When you rebuild the motor, just make sure to put a vented optispark on it.
Old 05-18-2003, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Dave Feerst
"

1993. No MAF sensor speed density only / 4L60 insted of 4l60E (electronicly shifted if you go with an A4) Im not sure about the differences in the manual transmissions. Batch fire! not sequensial. sp? Although they seem like they got the shaft in many areas the best stock times i've seen were 93s.

Well, one thing, it's nice to see that everyone is very loyal to the year they own. I'm just posting because not many people have mentioned that the 93's are just purely the FASTEST in stock form. Plus, as stated above, no MAF to have to modify, (or buy aftermarket for $$$) no computer-controlled auto-trans to have to deal with, batch-fire, not sequensial, (simpler, better, - although I'm sure I'll hear about that). The fact that it has a chip, instead of a re-programable computer is actually a benefit. Etc., etc., etc. I guess it just depends on what you can find for the $$ you want to spend.
Old 05-18-2003, 10:03 AM

You make many valid points.
Although I did say they were fastest in stock form in my lest message.
NO maf can be a good or a bad thing. First of all 94-97 hvae the same speed density system your 93 has, as a backup. try unpluging the maf on a 94 while the car is off then turn it on.
It will fire right up. using the speed density system.
IT will light a SES light and a code for maf but it runs just fine.

the non-electronicly shifted auto may be able to downshift harder but you can break it easier too.

I cant see how batch fire would bossibly be better than SFI. In my opnion SFI is only a minor inprovement but certainly not worse than batch fire. Mabye it was the cam they used in 93 that made them faster??? were there 3 or 4 cams for LT-1s?
Old 05-18-2003, 10:18 AM

I agree that some '93s were faster. They were also different in lots of little ways that would make modding somewhat painful. Headers are different (emissions fittings), etc. I really don't see how the chip is better. That one I would argue. I do think the '93s are cool, because they were the first year. They would also fetch the lowest price, but it would be harder to find one that was in primo shape. That's what's nice about the '95s production numbers. There are still some to be had that have low miles and haven't been ragged. You still have to look, though...

Anyway, as others have said, we're splitting hairs here. You'e best bet is to look for any of the year models and decide based on what you find. All the fourth gens had issues to deal with and thankfully with the help of the board members here, there are answers to all of them. Just look for the nicest car you can find with the options you want and then begin to tailor it to your needs.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by TonyJ

Anyway, as others have said, we're splitting hairs here. You'e best bet is to look for any of the year models and decide based on what you find. All the fourth gens had issues to deal with and thankfully with the help of the board members here, there are answers to all of them. Just look for the nicest car you can find with the options you want and then begin to tailor it to your needs.
What he said. The good thing though is there's plenty of help on this board (for whatever year you get) once you find your ride!!
Old 05-18-2003, 01:47 PM

i would also say that the 95 is the best year due to the opti design and the OBD1 computer.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:52 PM

The "93 is the fastest", "95 is the best", "97 nicest", OBD-I vs. OBD-II stuff has been beat to death.

Compare what is out there an available to you. By the time you get through modding it, the lines between years are so blurred, as not to matter anyway. Then, you can say "mine is the best year". MHO.