LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Is there a trick to removing an ATI balancer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by jimlab
I did insert a bolt, and the hub is not up against the bolt head
yet. I've taken a hub off before.

Something is holding the hub up, and the only thing I can think of is the crank key.
You said here in this post that you did insert a bolt into the crank snout. Well with an aftermarket hob you SHOULDN'T be doing this because unlike the stock hub, the ATI hub has a bigger hole in the center where the puller can actually push against the crank snout and NOT the hub snout.

Just something to think about next time around.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:26 PM

glad to here you got it off, I might serously consider against an ATI when I do my future planned 383
Old 07-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dave89IROC
glad to here you got it off, I might serously consider against an ATI when I do my future planned 383

Dave,
I have one on mine and have had no problems.He was using a "blue light special" puller.If you do get one,get the steel hub with aluminum balancer.It saves from swinging 12+#'s out front.
It is amazing what the "proper tool" will let you do.
Old 07-11-2004, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by jimlab
I went out and bought a new hub puller with a thicker flange for more thread engagement, and put anti-seize on the threads of the puller shaft to help prevent galling this time around. I set everything up, put some tension on the hub, and then hit the shaft of the hub with a torch briefly. Gave it a couple turns, hit it with the torch, a couple more turns, and then it just came off without any more help.

BTW, the keyway is completely unmarked, Dr. Doom, and I didn't even have to use an atomic bomb.
Good deal that it worked out for ya I would have to say though, that the torch IS the automotive version of the atomic bomb! Cool that a little help from physics got it done

Dave C.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by NastySS
You said here in this post that you did insert a bolt into the crank snout. Well with an aftermarket hob you SHOULDN'T be doing this because unlike the stock hub, the ATI hub has a bigger hole in the center where the puller can actually push against the crank snout and NOT the hub snout.
If I hadn't, I would have needed another 2 inches of threads on the puller bolt...
Old 07-12-2004, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by 1racerdude
He was using a "blue light special" puller. ... It is amazing what the "proper tool" will let you do.
It was a Craftsman puller that I destroyed, not a bargain bin auto parts store piece. The one that pulled it off was a ~$30 auto parts store piece...

It was just a very tight fit, all it needed was a little heat. However, I've never had to use a torch for the hub before, only for hub bolts.