LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Are these typical numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 10:34 PM

Are these typical numbers?

Took z to the dyno for the first time, put up 299hp @ 4700rpm and 351ft lbs torque @ 3600rpm. And the torque band amazes me, lowest point is 294 at 1500rpm, pretty flat across the band.
My mods are in sig, there may be more done to the car as some of the work done was not me, 2 previous owners. last one did nothing to it, so the guy before the guy before me kinda thing. Basically I was wondering if this is right around where I should be with these mods, if there might be more work done(probably not right?) than what I see?? those #'s are also with a header leak I need to get fixed, don't know how much that would affect dyno either...

Also thinking about getting a new PCM and mail tuning it, I say new cuz some **** is burnt on it. And after that probably the LT4 hot cam. Or should I get hot cam first? Any analysis on my situation fellas? Haven't got it to the track yet, rainy season in washington, but what kinda 1/4 times would I be looking at right now by estimation?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:36 PM

Right on target for a bolt on M6.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:57 AM

hp/tq seems a little high from just the mods listed, especially with a 12 bolt rear increasing the driveline losses. Have you checked under the valve covers? There might be some 1.6 rocker arms in there.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:51 AM

Seems right to me. Stock T56 LT1's typical dyno around 250 - 255 horse at the wheels. Headers can add around 20 to this. Add to that a catback , better flowing cat and a slightly larger TB. I think those numbers are pretty much what should be expected.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:54 AM

351 ft lbs of torque is insane. The horsepower number is about right, but the torque is off the charts. I don't think I've ever seen a bolt-on LT1 put down that much torque. Can you post the dyno sheet?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetred95ta
351 ft lbs of torque is insane. The horsepower number is about right, but the torque is off the charts. I don't think I've ever seen a bolt-on LT1 put down that much torque. Can you post the dyno sheet?

I agree that tq. is really high..
Old 12-12-2006, 10:29 AM

The hp is a tad high, but not much. Could be a freak. The torque numbers are about 20 high though for an average car. Congrats!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:35 AM

I saw the torque and that made my eyes stick out some, haha. Nice numbers.

Edit:
Do you have an aftermarket air intake on your car? Just wondering b/c you don't have one listed in your sig.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:02 AM

yea he's got a CAI listed. But I dont see an e-wp or roller rockers. Those are high numbers without both of those...
Old 12-12-2006, 01:28 PM

Your numbers do seem a little high, but definitely not impossible.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:07 PM

How do I post a pic on here?
I assure you the numbers are exactly is what is on the chart. Will post pics if somebody really wants them and tells me how tho. Hell I even have a vid of it up on the dyno.
I was just curious if those numbers were about where they should be or if I should dig in and see if there is more work done other than the obvious things and see about where I should be when I take it to the track, and what should come next for mods based on what you guys see here?
Someone mentioned rocker arms... I haven't checked so I don't know if it has them or not yet, but if it doesn't would that be worth it for the money to get some at this point or go the route I was thinkin with either hot cam or PCM. Which is going to be the best new addition at this point?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by TurboXL
Someone mentioned rocker arms... I haven't checked so I don't know if it has them or not yet, but if it doesn't would that be worth it for the money to get some at this point or go the route I was thinkin with either hot cam or PCM. Which is going to be the best new addition at this point?
Yes, rocker arms are a great bolt-on for lt1's.

The hot-cam is a decent cam but there are much better ones now-a-days. Technology and experience with the lt1 has gone up dramatically in the past few years and the cam selection is much, much better.

If you're set on a cam, get it tuned for whichever cam you pick. The mail-order guys get pretty close without seeing your car and you can't complain for the price. If you want the most power possible, a dyno tune would be necessary but that's $.

How do I post a pic on here?
Get the picture hosted and then put the url to the picture inside of "[img] [/img]"
Old 12-12-2006, 07:51 PM

So what would be a good cam should I go that route, for around the same price as the LT4 hot cam? Thats the only one I know about really, probably cuz its so common, but I'm definitily open to suggestions if there are better options for similar price.
Or what rockers should I be looking at and as far as price/performance which would be the better route to go keeping cost in mind?
I can have about a grand or so to play with in a month or two, and I'd like to have her ready for my first trip to the track somewhere around in there. If it ever stops raining that is.
Thanks for the info guys!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:05 PM

Oh ya:

Old 12-13-2006, 08:36 AM

So what would be a good cam should I go that route, for around the same price as the LT4 hot cam? Thats the only one I know about really, probably cuz its so common, but I'm definitily open to suggestions if there are better options for similar price.
Or what rockers should I be looking at and as far as price/performance which would be the better route to go keeping cost in mind?
I can have about a grand or so to play with in a month or two, and I'd like to have her ready for my first trip to the track somewhere around in there. If it ever stops raining that is.
Thanks for the info guys!
There are a few hundred threads on cz28.com doing their best to answer those questions. Use the search button when you have a few spare hours.

Quick Reply: Are these typical numbers?