LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

They say My engine is FINISHED!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 11:52 AM

Since my heretage is basically French Canadian, I guess the next time I need a rebuild I'll be heading north. It's not the French Canadian in me, but the Scotish part.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:06 PM

hehhehehe, but I'm a long way from Oregon
Old 05-21-2003, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by treyZ28
its intresting that the pressure is fine on startup...

i suggest you make sure your pickup didnt fall off.

could explain the "pining" and the lack of oil pressure..

jack on side of the car up as high as your jack will go and bang adound on the pan...

if you dont hear anything, drain the oil and knock around again
Well, I spoke to the garagist, and he says the sound seems to be coming from underneath of the motor from the cramshaft
Old 05-21-2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by BUBBA
You all obviusly haven't been reading my recent posts. My 97SS with only 8 grand on the clock pulled the same crap a few sundays ago.

With little warning, it started knocking, loss of power and oil pressure.

Car had never been abused. Now I am 4700.00 poorer and working on breaking in a new short block.

Don't know what happened, and of course, the mech. who did all my work probably wouldn't say if they had screwed something up.

Only thing that I can come up with is maybe when they installed my ported heads recently, they might have over did with the RTV on sealing the intake and maybe the RTV clogged the oil pickup or some damn thing like that.

Guess I will never know. I do understand though.

WOW 4700 is a 1000bucks more than my forged blowermotor cost. Thats with everything.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by thefox1
Well, I spoke to the garagist, and he says the sound seems to be coming from underneath of the motor from the cramshaft
PICKUP IS AS ABOUT AS UNDERNEATH AS IT GETS
Old 05-21-2003, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by treyZ28
PICKUP IS AS ABOUT AS UNDERNEATH AS IT GETS
Humm, well I'll cross my fingers and hope it's only something like that.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:40 PM

thats not too bad

I'm lookin at about 1500 and thats doing everything my self excpt machine work
Old 05-21-2003, 03:04 PM

maybe it's the oil pump drive shaft. might have broken teeth. I am going to be building my LT1 from scratch for my 3rd gen camaro and installing it with all new wiring. The oil pump is driven by the cam I believe on LT1s. Maybe a bolt is loose holding the pump in place. Mabye the noise you hear is the teeth from your oil pump grinding with the camshaft teeth which is very bad because you are probably going to have to replace both oil pump, camshaft, and lifters. From all the books I read, they tell me that if the camshaft is replaced, the lifters HAVE to be replaced with it because of the unique way the wear. Have the mechanic take a look at it, it looks like he is trying to BS you like most do. Take it to anothe shop if you can. Tell them what happened. That's why I am learning so I can do all the work myself. I've only started learning about engines for about 4 months and I learned the gen 1 engines first. The LT1 is a gen 2. A book is on the way for that though, after I get experienced more I will try to help all of you out with problems.

Last edited by Metaldrgn; 05-21-2003 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:12 PM

If your oil pressure is fine on startup but slowly goes down as the car warms up, its your bearings.

Sorry to say its rebuild time.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:22 PM

What bearing are you talking about? I don't think the oil pump even has bearings. It can't be the canshaft bearings or he'd be in way more trouble than that. When's the last time you checked the oil level. If NO oil or a very low amount is getting to the pump it will go down to 0.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:29 PM

So how hard would it be to rebuilt an engine by yourself? It just seems like a big puzzle with an instruction booklet on where the pieces go to me, guessing you would take it one step at a time.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by Metaldrgn
What bearing are you talking about? I don't think the oil pump even has bearings. It can't be the canshaft bearings or he'd be in way more trouble than that. When's the last time you checked the oil level. If NO oil or a very low amount is getting to the pump it will go down to 0.
Oil level was fine, and at the garage where I left it at they did an oil change just in case.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:41 PM

That's what I used to think and that's why it took so long for me to get into it. Then, once I had a camaro, I wanted to learn about it so I could do everything myself. for the engine, it isn't all that complicated. It just takes time to learn the parts and how they mesh together. You can go by the book and basically do any repair for the most part.

First, check the oil dipstick and make sure it's at the full line. You might just be leaking oil. I would say for this have a pro do it. It isn't really an easy repair and might be expensive because the cam is hard to access because there's alot of stuff that has to come off before you can even get to it. The oil pump is accessable by taking off the oil pan and the only way to do that is by jacking up the engine and then removing it and taking out the pump. Like I said, I still haven't actually built an engine yet. It's all book reading for me right now. I am getting parts for an engine to build one up soon though.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:44 PM

hmm, ok, take it to another mechanic shop. Actually go to autozone or napa or carquest and ask them where an honest place to go is.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:19 PM

Honesty is a relative virtue. One mechanic will tell you honestly that the guy who worked on your car before was a hack. That same mechanic will swear that the work that HE did on your car had nothing to do with it falling apart as you drive out of the parking lot.

Quick Reply: They say My engine is FINISHED!