LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

They say My engine is FINISHED!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 04:23 PM

Wink

Yea, that's why I said to ask at autozone or napa or carquest because they dont do any work on cars, just sell parts. Catch my drift?
Old 05-21-2003, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Metaldrgn
What bearing are you talking about? I don't think the oil pump even has bearings. It can't be the canshaft bearings or he'd be in way more trouble than that. When's the last time you checked the oil level. If NO oil or a very low amount is getting to the pump it will go down to 0.
look lower

main/rod bearings

in any event- i have to disagree with grip in that if his bearings "just randomly went" (or spun) it would be knocking all the time. When he changed the oil and started it up it wasn't knocking.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:52 PM

yea, but why would his oil pressure go down to 0 then? When are you hearing this? what rpm range? Does it do it when you are in a certain gear more than another? does it ping when you are in prk/neutral?
Old 05-21-2003, 05:14 PM

Originally posted by Metaldrgn
When are you hearing this? what rpm range? Does it do it when you are in a certain gear more than another? does it ping when you are in prk/neutral?
The awnseres to those questions I'll have tonigh in a couples of hours when I get home and see for myself. My father (who towed the car home) started and said it ran fine (while cold, he did not let heat up) and said he could not hear any pining at all. That's why I don't see how it could be that bad if it runs so smooth while it's cold. That means that there's something that when it takes expansion with the heat is either broken or not calibrated properly? Also, I noticed on monday after opening the hood that on the left side the 2nd exhaust pipe coming out from the engine (on the driver side starting from the back) was red hot, could it be something with that exhaust valve or piston there?
Old 05-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally posted by thefox1
The awnseres to those questions I'll have tonigh in a couples of hours when I get home and see for myself. My father (who towed the car home) started and said it ran fine (while cold, he did not let heat up) and said he could not hear any pining at all. That's why I don't see how it could be that bad if it runs so smooth while it's cold. That means that there's something that when it takes expansion with the heat is either broken or not calibrated properly? Also, I noticed on monday after opening the hood that on the left side the 2nd exhaust pipe coming out from the engine (on the driver side starting from the back) was red hot, could it be something with that exhaust valve or piston there?
I had the same symptoms when my pickup came loose. oil thins out, inaccurate guage. i had like 30lbs of pressure though so i was fine...
Old 05-21-2003, 07:30 PM

Well, I finally have the jsut of it now that I'm home. Engine really runs perfectly while cold, but, the oil gauge takes about 3-5 to go from 0-275, and then it stays half way. Now from experience on these cars I know that when there cold thje oil pressure gauge should go up to 3/4 and stay there until norm operating temp then drop at idle. So at this point, could it be a weak pump? I'll also have a look at what trey told me about the pickup.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:38 PM

If it where me, and the car was not knocking, pinging, taping or burning oil i would look other places. Unless you wanna rebuild for a mod motor. . Bearings or a bearing does not mean your oil pressure is going to be low every time. A real thick oil will hold good oil pressure in many situations. Than again if your oil filter was so pluged it stoped oil pressure I would think somthing is damaged in the pump or other places. Wait till you get the car back crank it up and see for yourself. It could be many things at this point.

EDIT I see I was 8min to late and you already posted, damn phone calls. My car when stock ran low oil pressure for 20k idle only, at WOT it was fine.

Last edited by 94SLUG; 05-21-2003 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:47 PM

I'M IN LUCK!!!!!!!! My father knows the best guy at the GM plant in ste-therese who use to solve factory defects with our engines, sometimes only by listening to them. He said he would pass by next week to have a look at my engine.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:55 PM

"pickup"? Is that something to do with the oil pump?
it's a little arm thingy that swings up/down or whatever to keep the oil inlet submerged...(so it's not just sucking up air..)
Old 05-21-2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by treyZ28
I had the same symptoms when my pickup came loose. oil thins out, inaccurate guage. i had like 30lbs of pressure though so i was fine...
Where you seeing the gauge flicker every once in a while? That's something that I had been noticing for a while but haven't payed attention to bc it only flickered a bit, I just figured that the gauge was probably near it's end of life.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:12 PM
Banned

just bang the pan like i said before
Old 05-21-2003, 08:16 PM

Don't worry, I will. But I gotta find my jack. I guess I shoul'nt use a sledge hammer?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:21 PM
Banned

Don't worry, I will. But I gotta find my jack. I guess I shoul'nt use a sledge hammer?
palm of your hard at most is all thats needed
Old 05-21-2003, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by treyZ28
just bang the pan like i said before
Yea, I actually had this happen on my 89 Formula. The pickup is only pressed on. Sometimes gets knocked loose when the pan gets hit a few times (like with a lowered car like mine was). Only symptom I had was the oil pressure dropping when I hit the brakes hard. If your car is running, then I'd Definetly do some investigating first. Rebuild at 75k seems quite unneccesary. Thats just broken in.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:36 PM

Well, on my trip I went through an extremly rough road where I hit quite a few hard bumps (the road was about 45 miles long.

Quick Reply: They say My engine is FINISHED!