LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

think I can get into the 12s with just some 1.6 rollers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 05:06 PM

think I can get into the 12s with just some 1.6 rollers?

Check my sig for where I'm at and my current best. Actually, I think it is a bit faster than that, but that was the last run of the night as allowed by the track.

I have a few pounds to remove yet (front sway bar, ABS pump, etc) as well

I had to feather off the line and it still fishtailed a bit going into second. Stock hypertech bin in the pcm too, so there' a little more room to tweak...

What do you think? combining all that stuff with some traction and 1.6 rollers...can I get there?
Old 05-28-2003, 05:21 PM

I really think that you'd be better served by a set of headers at the least. Full exhaust would put do you much better, and you could see more gains from the rockers with an exhaust system.

Those are GREAT times though.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:39 PM

Originally posted by Fastbird93
I really think that you'd be better served by a set of headers at the least. Full exhaust would put do you much better, and you could see more gains from the rockers with an exhaust system.

Those are GREAT times though.
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree headers would be a logical step here, but so far I have spent NO money on the car that I haven't recouped in some form of a trade or selling stock parts. I wanna see how far I can go budget racing like this
WHEN I do headers, they will be long tubes. I already have a XE230/236 cam, some Crane 10308 springs, and the heads are being ported as we speak. So when the car goes back together, it will go with a BIG difference. But if I can run 12s on this kind of budget, I'm pretty happy

The car is turning toward becoming a mainly strip car with mild street ue. I think the carpet, console, parking brake, fog lights, front sway bar, etc should net me another 100lbs out of there. So there's a tenth off the bat. 1.6 rockers I am guessing ought to be worth 10-15hp, maybe more. I could probably just pull the serpentine belt and make up the difference. We'll see... Maybe I can do it without the rockers afterall.

Just thought I'd get some opinions
Old 05-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Ditching the sway bar should help your launch a bit too.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:44 PM

You've lost me now. Are you gonna run the heads/cam with the stock manifolds? If so, I think you are severely restricting the motor. The 1.6s are a crap shoot from what I understand though. Some people see no gain, most say 10 - 15, and others still say 25. Go figure.
Old 05-28-2003, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by brain
You've lost me now. Are you gonna run the heads/cam with the stock manifolds? If so, I think you are severely restricting the motor. The 1.6s are a crap shoot from what I understand though. Some people see no gain, most say 10 - 15, and others still say 25. Go figure.
sorry about that. No.. I will be running long tubes then. I meant to clear that up, that I want to wait til I do everything before I do anything major like that, know what I mean? Rockers can be swapped in about 30-45 minutes as opposed to headers and full exhaust, not to mention the difference in cost.

I think it would be fairly impressive to be running 12s through the manifolds on a (nearly - assuming I do rockers) stock 132,000 mile motor
Old 05-28-2003, 07:51 PM

I dont know if the 1.6rr will quite get you there......Ild get some ET streets and take off the front sway bar ......cut that 60' to 1.80 and youll make it.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:01 PM

I got a big fat nothing at the track with my 1.6 rockers. Like brian said, "It's a crap shot". Better off spending $30 on a cut out.
Old 05-28-2003, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by craigffb
I got a big fat nothing at the track with my 1.6 rockers. Like brian said, "It's a crap shot". Better off spending $30 on a cut out.
The way my exhaust is setup it is like having a cutout, only it dumps out back. The cat is gone and replaced with straight pipe. The muffler and tail pipes are gone too and a straight pipe ties to the I pipe and head out the back. So it looks like a v6 exhaust now, but sounds like a cutout
Old 05-28-2003, 10:15 PM

Craig, did you put them on before or after the headers? I'd theorize you'd feel more gain if you already had the headers installed, or your header gain was artificially high if you did headers second. Just curious. I'm debating whether or not to go 1.6r, or cam swap. Check out my page, we have nearly identical cars, minus the juice and mine's black.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/b/m/bmz107/
Old 05-28-2003, 10:20 PM

Headers first the the rockers. I was really disapointed with the rockers. Only thing they did for me was force me to get LT4 valve cover (the clacking was driving me nuts).
Old 05-28-2003, 10:49 PM

Hmmm, i guess theory doesn't really hold up unless it was differences in climate and stock program limitations that you didn't see a gain. I guess I'd just better go with the whole cam kit then I was leaning that way anyhow, I just don't know when I'll find time for the install.
Old 05-28-2003, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by 94formulabz
Hmmm, i guess theory doesn't really hold up unless it was differences in climate and stock program limitations that you didn't see a gain. I guess I'd just better go with the whole cam kit then I was leaning that way anyhow, I just don't know when I'll find time for the install.
I was thincking about getting a cam too. I went with a NX wet kit insteed. More power less time.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by craigffb
I was thincking about getting a cam too. I went with a NX wet kit insteed. More power less time.
That's what I've been telling yah

Now for some JetHot LT's and true duals!!!
Old 05-29-2003, 11:48 AM

i did about the same thing as your planning, with that 230/236 and longtubes. i did my own porting on my heads tho.
i picked up almost 1 full second and 10mph in the 1/8 mile.
still running stock tb, 3.42 gear, and oem style clutch.
jeremy

Quick Reply: think I can get into the 12s with just some 1.6 rollers?