LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

think I can get into the 12s with just some 1.6 rollers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 12:06 AM

I got 12 rwhp from 1.6RR and more than 1 MPH.

13.456 @ 102.52 ~ before
13.369 @ 103.94 ~ after

282.2 rwhp & 308.7 ~ before
294.0 rwhp & 306.1 ~ after

The "before" dyno day I had a high rpm misfire, you'll see I had other runs of 293 and 275. The higher numbers are where the graph was spiked, from the power hitting the rollers intermittently.

I went with the median number long ago, and I've stuck with it... when in reality the 274 and 275 runs weren't as spiked, and more accurate. (which means a bigger 19 rwhp gain from the 1.6RR)

Same dyno, all results SAE corrected. Same track (Norwalk) but different weather (colder before). No other mods except CMS 611 valve springs, and some tuning which gained me the 3 rwhp from stock tune.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:13 AM

sounds pretty good. I have another plan in mind now. I just got some ET streets and skinnies on the way all mounted on Pro Stars. Should shave some more weight and really stick to the ground. I am not far from getting a converter too. I think with those two items I should be firmly seated in the 12s and still on my stock motor. Hell, I might even find out the next weakest link this way

I am guessing 1.7 60' times can be had with some luck and good air. should be good for a 12.8 or so. If I can get that low with the tired old stock motor through manifolds, I can't wait to see what the heads/cam/headers/TB, etc will do for me
Old 06-03-2003, 12:20 AM

Cool. I think I see a TC in my future too.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by DarkKnight
Switching to 1.6s i think is pointless. A few tests have already proved that. Simply swapping 1.5 stamped steel rockers to 1.6 stamped steel rockers produced a 3HP gain on a stock 305TPI. I concluded that any gains reported from going to 1.6s are because they were aftermarket ROLLER rockers. The real gain is in the roller action. And the aftermarket makes accurate 1.52 rockers where as stock rockers are very inaccurate. Some as low as 1.46...just my opinion...
New bests, haven't changed anything since the 1.6RR except some tuning. Same track, just got a little better weather, etc.

13.02 @ 105.6 -drag radials
13.10 @ 107.1 -street tires

Pointless, I think not. Maybe aftermarket cams should just offer the stock lift too? All the power is in the duration? BS. Lift makes more power.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:26 PM

You've got to be kidding....

Your time was improved due to having better weather and drag radials.

Drag radials and good weather can make that much difference in time.

Aftermarket cams have a higher lift to utilize 1.6s. If you think duration is all "BS" and its all about lift then I'd suggest talking to some one at Crane or perhaps Comp.

Thanks
aftermarket cams have a higher lift to let more air into the cylinders. has nothing to do with 1.6 rockers.
i'd suggest you talk to someone at crane or comp. lol
jeremy
Old 11-10-2003, 11:56 PM

Jeremy,

You most not have read my previous post on this topic. I had said switching to 1.6RR is pointless. However, switching out the cam with a higher lift can shorten the valve duration. 1.6 full roller rockers will help lengthen the duration to utilize the full potential of the high lift cam. So, I suggested speaking to some one at Crane or Comp for more information. They are a great source and I had done sales for both.

That being said, maybe I'll take your advice and give them a call!

Thanks
wasnt meaning to sound like a buttmunch, so sorry if i did.
but, im still not sure where your coming from with the lift affecting the duration. they are 2 independant variables. you can have whatever lift you want with whatever duration you want. swapping a cam with higher lift may not increase the duration at all, depending upon the duration of the cam.
basically, all you really need to worry about is that 1.6 rockers will raise the lift #s over 1.5 rockers. it makes your stock cam effectively have higher lift.
jeremy
Old 11-11-2003, 03:27 AM

You've got to be kidding....

Your time was improved due to having better weather and drag radials.

Drag radials and good weather can make that much difference in time.

Aftermarket cams have a higher lift to utilize 1.6s. If you think duration is all "BS" and its all about lift then I'd suggest talking to some one at Crane or perhaps Comp.

Thanks
I've had drag radials for a while (spring '02) and have never tried street tires at the track since. But last month, I made 19 passes that day, and was trying everything to hit 12s. I thought maybe the lighter 17" wheels and slightly smaller tires would give me more MPH, which they did (107.1). But it was alot tougher to launch, only got a best ET of 13.1

And the weather was very much the same before and after my 1.6RR, although different tracks. (my best before the rockers was the first day our local track was open this year, colder infact! You could see your breath, not many people standing around in the staging lanes chatting, most stayed in their warm cars ) I went back the next week, but didn't improve much. I purposely went before and after to see the results, but it wasn't much at first.

I adjusted the valve lash, edited the tuning a bit, and made improvements at the track throughout the year. End of the season, when the weather was cold again, and the car was "in tune" the results we're much better.

http://stevil.easy48.com/performance2.html

My website has my best times from different track visits, shows the 60' times, mods, and general weather. So you can see whether traction was an issue. ET doesn't mean much, MPH is what counts when comparing HP. I've gained 3 MPH with the 1.6RR.

I was being sort of sarcastic with the duration BS. Yes more duration makes more power, and moves the powerband up. But more lift also makes more power (Until you reach a point where the valve blocking the way isn't a factor, then more lift is pointless). And that's what I was getting at. Why would aftermarket cams have more lift if it wasn't a good thing? Why do ported/aftermarket heads have bigger valves? More airflow.

Lift and duration are independant of each other. I can order a custom cam with stock duration and more lift if I want. Or with stock lift and whatever duration. Think of 1.6RR as half a cam, since they only got 1/2 of the good stuff (more lift). I don't think the roller tips are the better part either.

btw, this weekend I'm going to hit a totally new track and try for 12s.