LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Thinking about getting a Cam need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 01:12 AM

Hey Kyzer..............everybody's already getting into some wild stuff. All I remember is you saying "a very streetable cam" Did you check the clip I left. Thats a HotCam. So if they are saying that its small you can imagine how the others are. They are right but you just gotta make up your mind about how streetable you want it.

I know this because I have been debating the issue myself for the last 2 months HARD. But after listening to a few clips on the Hotcam I think it'll be good for what I want.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:48 AM

what cam

If i were you i would but the lt4 hot cam set from gm it's a steal for the price and plus it's a good hp or nitrous cam
Old 10-02-2003, 08:37 AM

The best advice you can get is to call a shop that can take your specific requirements and budget into account to make a recommendation. Even call the cam manufacturers to get a recommendation if you like. Lots of people will recommend a cam because it's what they have.

Combination Motorsports can help you decide, as can several other places.

Just for reference, I have a good friend with Edelbrock shorties and a hot cam kit. He pulled 362 RWHP, and ran a traction limited 12.7@113 with it. It is capable of some pretty respectable numbers and it's very streetable. If you want to go more aggressive, there's almost no end to the possibilities.
Old 10-02-2003, 09:00 AM

I've done a lot of research on cams also, and from all the threads I've read, the max you want to go, and still have good streetability is the XE 224/230. Plus it really shines with ported heads.

With any cam, you will want headers to see the real advantage.

Yes, people have reached 11's with the Hotcam(but it's not very common). One guy's name is Brent, and he's on this board somewhere. You most likely need good traction mods to get there with the Hotcam.

Myself, I would look at something with an intake duration of somewhere between 218 and 224. That is what most prefer for good steetability, from what I've read.

Dan
Old 10-02-2003, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by chasmanz28
limiteded1le, is there a chart you have that can break it down for me, like the cc306 being 230/244, i would like to have the comparsion chart to look at for myself
I would go to www.cmotorsports.com and call Seth there. He was the one there that helped me with my cam and suggested it over the Hotcam. They really know their stuff over there, so you can basically ask them any questions about cams and they will know it.

As far as the 224/230 and the XE 224/230 they are a little different cams. THe XE has the XE lobes which make it a little harder on the valvetrain, and able to put out a little more hp. Their XE lobes are a new design that they came out with.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:12 AM

also I noticed you live in CA, if your concerned about emissions that severely limits your cam selection choices...
Old 10-02-2003, 10:14 AM

I passed with my cam here in Illinois, but I'm not sure if it will pass in CA.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by nateh
The best advice you can get is to call a shop that can take your specific requirements and budget into account to make a recommendation. Even call the cam manufacturers to get a recommendation if you like. Lots of people will recommend a cam because it's what they have.

Combination Motorsports can help you decide, as can several other places.

Just for reference, I have a good friend with Edelbrock shorties and a hot cam kit. He pulled 362 RWHP, and ran a traction limited 12.7@113 with it. It is capable of some pretty respectable numbers and it's very streetable. If you want to go more aggressive, there's almost no end to the possibilities.
not bashing your freind time its good, but im saying this to make a point that marcin is running 12.7 with a 306 on stock heads.

but if you want something that does pretty good on a set of stock heads, is a 230 236. but it reallly comes alive when head work is done later down the road.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:22 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone im going to contact combination motorsports tomorrow. Pretty excited to finally get some performance mods done to my car. I found the receipt for my headers and i bought them in late may and their still not installed yet

SJS: that hotcam sounded pretty bad ***. I can see the decison with the cam is going to give me a headache but its worth it. what kind of times are you running? Have you dynoed your ride recently?
Old 10-02-2003, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by kyzer soze
SJS: that hotcam sounded pretty bad ***. I can see the decison with the cam is going to give me a headache but its worth it. what kind of times are you running? Have you dynoed your ride recently?

That's what conviced me to go with the HotCam. A lot of people will say go bigger but you got some hard core racers in here. I wanted streetability and that's one of the ways I figure streetability....the LOPE.

Well as for my times.......if you look at my sig. my motor hasn't gone in yet. I'm figuring somewhere the end of the month. Also I don't know what your running but for the 383 might sound diff. dunno.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by magius231
also I noticed you live in CA, if your concerned about emissions that severely limits your cam selection choices...
If you look on this page: All CMotorsports LT1 Cams

It looks like the 221XE might be a good cam for emissions. it has slightly less duration but more lift on a 114 LSA (221/227 duration, .542"/.560") as compared to the 224/230. I didn't see a 224/230XE listed, but the only thing different between the XE and XL seems to be LSA, so maybe thet're both using XE lobes.
I'm going to be calling Seth about this cam for my Z, as I have to pass emissions also.