LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Thinking of BMR K-member..

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 04:51 PM

Thinking of BMR K-member..

Hey guys, I plan on buying a BMR K-member soon time soon. When I get it, I also want to convert to a manual steering rack. I already have A/c deleted and planned on moving the alternator to the old compressor's location and jsut delete the powersteering pump. So I would only be using the harmonic balancer pulley, alternator, and tensioner. Does anyone know where I can find all the parts neccesary to do this? Thanks.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Re: Thinking of BMR K-member..

If all you are running is an alternator, there are relocation brackets available from Madman Racing and SJM Manufacturing. Using these, you simply run a belt from the crank pulley to the alternator, no tensioner required.

http://sjmmanufacturing.com
Old 07-24-2005, 01:23 PM

Thanks Injuneer, I'll check those out.

Now, does anyone know where I can get EVERYTHING to convert over to a manual steering rack? Like I said earlier, I'm going with a BMR K-member and I'm going to get the one made just for manual rack cars. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:15 PM

TTT... Anyone that can point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:20 PM

I believe that Thunder Racing has everything you need

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=4&pcid=255

Keep us updated on the project, I'll be doing the same soon.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:26 PM

Thanks. A bit pricey though considering I'm going to have to buy a Bmr K-member too, looks like it will make a great christmas gift to myself though!
Old 07-25-2005, 08:57 PM

I suggest contacting SJM, Steve is a great guy and will tell you all that you need. He has helped me alot!!

I would not suggest a solid mount, that thing is a PITA to get in, I just got it in after I dont know how many hours of trying.....

On the K-member, if you are going to a Manual Rack get the K-member that is meant for a manual rack vs getting one that has to be converted (steve can explain more of that). The manual rack swap is going to be $$ but I hear it makes driving without PS alot easier.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:33 PM

So I've been searching around and came across this place.

http://paracing.com/product_info.php...291b84f2af7bfc

Anyone else have one of thier K-members? Would you buy another? Why or why not?

Also, I have a few other questions about it.

Which rack option would you suggest? And why? Also, can someone explain what is a pinto rack? Btw, I have a 2" drop all the way around for now if that has any factor in in it.

Would I need spring perches? And why?

What difference would there be in the two racks if one was road race ready and the other wasn't?

also, would this manual rack conversion work on with this k-member?

Or is there a different one available? (I.e. CHEAPER)

Thanks guys.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
I suggest contacting SJM, Steve is a great guy and will tell you all that you need. He has helped me alot!!

I would not suggest a solid mount, that thing is a PITA to get in, I just got it in after I dont know how many hours of trying.....

On the K-member, if you are going to a Manual Rack get the K-member that is meant for a manual rack vs getting one that has to be converted (steve can explain more of that). The manual rack swap is going to be $$ but I hear it makes driving without PS alot easier.
Btw, what did you mean by solid mount? Like solid motor mounts? I'm confused here. Thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy95Z
Btw, what did you mean by solid mount? Like solid motor mounts? I'm confused here. Thanks
Yes, solid motor mount on the driver side, Moroso 62635, the BMR K has the passenger side built into it with poly inserts....
Old 07-26-2005, 01:46 PM

Ok, thanks. I was kind of wanting solid engine mounts anyways. Is there any way to get the passenger side with a solid mount? Also, would you happen to have any answers for my questions that are 4 posts up? Thanks alot.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:04 PM

Ok, thanks. I was kind of wanting solid engine mounts anyways. Is there any way to get the passenger side with a solid mount? Also, would you happen to have any answers for my questions that are 4 posts up? Thanks alot.
You can get a K-member without the intergrated mounts and the solids will go in there. I think BMR has one that does not have the integrated mounts. I am not sure about other makes how they handle the motor mounts.

If you happened to have some poly mounts for the car I would use them or wait till I get mine on the track again and see how I like the solid on that one side, b/c it's a PITA to get in there.....
Old 07-26-2005, 09:12 PM

Do a search of this board about PA Racing, I have only delt with BMRs.
Which rack option would you suggest? And why? Also, can someone explain what is a pinto rack? Btw, I have a 2" drop all the way around for now if that has any factor in in it.Would I need spring perches? And why?
Any pinto rack will work but there is more to it than just the rack, contact Madman, or SJM about this, they should be able to help you.
What difference would there be in the two racks if one was road race ready and the other wasn't?
I have not seen that designation before on the racks but I would speculate it has to do with the ratio in which it employs. RR one would probably be a quicker ratio....
also, would this manual rack conversion work on with this k-member?
Or is there a different one available? (I.e. CHEAPER)
This conversion is not cheap....but like I said before, contact some folks that know more about it than those posting here. I will eventually do this but not right now....I am using the PS resevoir and looping my rack...