LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Those with MAC headers (or any header for that fact)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 10:54 AM

Those with MAC headers (or any header for that fact)

I have the headers on the car. If its under idle or light throttle it is fine. But when I get on it slightly or heavy, there seems to be a ticking/clicking coming from the left side (driver) under the hood. The guy that put them on says that's just the difference between headers and the exhaust manifolds and that's what my LT4 KM was for. I'm not so sure. He says he hears it too but he thinks its the headers. He is a buddy of mine and knows more than I do but I just dont think it should sound like that. I cant complain though, he has helped me tremendously. Any ideas?

I think its a small exhaust leak.

I think if its the headers, it should be coming from BOTH sides and not just one. I know you cant diagnose the problem but I was just wondering if others with the same headers (or headers period for that matter) have this tick/click when they accelerate?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:01 AM

I installed my macs not even 2 weeks ago. There is a slight ticking coming from my driver's side. I tightened the header bolts and put the locks on. the ticking is a little quieter but its still there. check the slip tube and the y-pipe bolts. I didn't and mine is still there. I think its coming from the slip tube since it has turned black there.

also mine does it when its idling and under very light throttle, then seems to go away when im on the gas. but maybe I just cant hear it since I have a loudmouth.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:01 AM

Its probably a small exhaust leak. What kind of gaskets did you use? It is possible to have a leak on one side only depending on how the headers fit in.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Van

Sounds like a leak to me bro.... It can definantly be on just one side. Recheck your headerbolts, the have a tendency to back out. Since someone else did the install, make sure that all the header bolts are actually snuged up to the header flange, I've seen them reach torque spec without actually coming in contact withthe flange. Check your slip tube. It could also be at the collector to Y. That's a pretty notorious source of leaks.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:07 AM

Zigroid,

After reading your post, I remember that you CAN hear mine when its idling just like you describe. Slip tube? Hmmm, that may be one place to check. I had to get the y-pipe modified with a little bend out of it to get it to hook up so that could have caused it to twist off or something. I did use the copper RTV on it though.

Jon97Z,

I used the copper gaskets from Summit that were supposed to be specific to the LT1. I also have some Fel-Pro 1406's that I ordered too. What did the two of you use?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2004, 11:09 AM

Van,

I think we are going to drive it around for a good while today and then go back and snug the bolts. I'll check the slip tube and the collector like you suggested.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2004, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by ticket_me_redz

I used the copper gaskets from Summit that were supposed to be specific to the LT1. I also have some Fel-Pro 1406's that I ordered too. What did the two of you use?

Thanks
I used the Fel-Pros just because I was weary of other brands and styles of gaskets. The Fel-Pros seemed to make a nice snug fit to me. But before changing out the gaskets, I would check what was previously mentioned in the above posts first.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:00 PM

The only reason I didnt use the fel-pros to start was because it looked like you needed to trim them some. Maybe that would have added some extra substance to guard against a leak. I'll check that slip tube cause it struck me as a trouble spot from the beginning. I'd rather start with the obvious places before I go replacing gaskets.

Thanks to all
Old 05-04-2004, 12:10 PM

If it has a slip-fit tube, let it go through many many heat cycles. Slip fits leak until they've expanded and contracted enough to "mend" together. On my long tubes my slip fit ticked for about a month. It still ticks very very lightly. You almost can't tell.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:13 PM

Yeah i have that same problem but mine is with Hooker LT's. I think its coming from the slip fit but it sounds like its coming from under the car. Maybe the drivers side collector. I'm using percy's dead soft gaskets and it was leaking out of those also. But i think thats because the bolts backed out.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:52 PM

Sounds just like my headerleak.

Get a small extendable mirror from the autoparts store and check for black marks all around the headers where they mate with other parts.

On my MAC's there was a bad weld on the drivers side. It was on top of the collector, where the 4 primaries get welded together. It was in that little inside space between all 4 primaries. I had it welded closed with stainless welding rod, and it's been leak free ever since.

I also had copper gaskets on mine and they leaked slightly. I went with Mr. Gasket Ultraseals, which are very similar to the Felpros. They seal like a champ.

Here's a pic:
Headerleak

Dan
Old 05-04-2004, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll inspect the slip tube when I get to the house.

Stereomandan,

I remember reading your post with a lot of interest prior to installing my headers. Thanks for the tip and glad to know you got your problem fixed. I'll use the mirror trick to check mine out.

Thanks again
Old 05-04-2004, 08:50 PM

Any comments from the late nighters? Its been several hours since a reply so I think a TTT is safe!

Thanks for any replies.