LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Those that removed the splash guard inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 09:34 AM
Banned

Old 04-24-2003, 09:45 AM

I would not remove the whole splash guard as it does provide some support to the front clip. I simply cut a large opening in mine. As for gains, I have no idea. Common sense just tells me that I am allowing more cool outside air access to the filter with the opening than without. That is the whole purpose of a cai.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:03 AM

I removed mine when I installed the CAI, but mine also has chicken wire wrapped around the filter (thats how it came). I plan on cutting the splash gaurd here soon. Mine has seen rainy days. Haven't had any problems so far.
Old 04-24-2003, 10:36 AM

where do you guys live that it doesnt rain...do you have a front lawn?
Old 04-24-2003, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by SloMofo
You're misunderstanding. I will not be yanking the filter. Just the splash guard!
I know. I'm just saying that I didn't notice a gain with just the guard removed. But it should be worth a few hp with the filter all the way off.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:23 AM

I don't know if this helps any, but I put in a small scoop to shove air to my CAI. That and running no muffler dropped approximately .13 tenths off my time last year.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:26 AM

I remember reading a few years ago that somebody had calculated the amount of air that a stock engine should pull in at WOT at a particular RPM. He concluded that at WOT the most restrictive component of the factory intake with a cold air was the splash guard area. It didn't have enough openings to allow the motor to breath efficiently.

Rather than remove mine I just drilled a bunch of 1/4 inch holes around the perimeter of the filter.

-Chris
Old 04-24-2003, 11:34 AM

I have noticed a reasonable reduction in intake air temperature when taking off this splash gaurd. I did not notice any real differences in time/speed, over the normal vairation in my driving skills..

Steve, 93Z.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:52 AM

I wouldn't do it. If your filter comes loose you will run over it.
Originally posted by anaik
I'll bet those grates are designed to push air up into the engine compartment. Also where your filter is.
I think so too. They are in a high pressure area, right in front of the air dam.
Originally posted by 2CNTRY
You take the filter off at the track?!!!!!!??????? You run the risk of blowing your engine.
Huh?
Originally posted by dadsgreen95Z28
I don't know if this helps any, but I put in a small scoop to shove air to my CAI. That and running no muffler dropped approximately .13 tenths off my time last year.
I made a scoop too. If you want more air into your intake, it has to be the most effective way. Just cutting up the splash guard is pretty ghetto IMO. And I made a plate to cover it in bad weather. Pics in my sig.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:00 PM

Cool

I'll bet those grates are designed to push air up into the engine compartment. Also where your filter is.
Actually, if you look, the grates are facing rearward, just like heat extractors on hoods of TA's. This would actually pull air out of the fender area as air passed over it going down the road.

-Shannon
Old 04-24-2003, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by 2CNTRY
You take the filter off at the track?!!!!!!??????? You run the risk of blowing your engine.
LOL! 75k stock shortblock. Near 126mph traps. Hasn't blown yet. I'll let you know if I have any problems.
Old 04-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Banned

Maybe I'll just cut the "fins" out of it & leave it on the car
Old 04-24-2003, 01:14 PM

Consistently about 2 100ths faster.

If you call that an improvement.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by NOMAD
Actually, if you look, the grates are facing rearward, just like heat extractors on hoods of TA's. This would actually pull air out of the fender area as air passed over it going down the road.

-Shannon
I went out and looked at the grates. The are facing rearward, but the air dam is right behind them. My thinking is the air would hit the dam and reverse itself into the grates. Maybe a hole would help.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:06 PM

I went out and looked at the grates. The are facing rearward, but the air dam is right behind them. My thinking is the air would hit the dam and reverse itself into the grates. Maybe a hole would help.
Reverse itself? Ummm, no.

-Chris

Quick Reply: Those that removed the splash guard inside