LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Those that removed the splash guard inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2003, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by Chrisbequick
Reverse itself? Ummm, no.

-Chris
Well, maybe not reverse itself, but get pushed up.
Old 04-24-2003, 04:20 PM

I took both mine off years ago, no problems but the filter does get dirty faster. I have yet to lose my filter, I know some of you have had the filter drop but I have never had this happen. In the summertime I use a ghetto ram air scoop I make out of dryer duct hose and aim it at the filter, I have seen a tenth and some mph out of this mod. I have to put up with alot of crap from the camaro club members though. It got so bad with everyone ribbing me about it that now I put it on just to tick everyone off
Without directing the air to the filter somehow you won,t see any gains.
Old 04-24-2003, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by revtime
Without directing the air to the filter somehow you won,t see any gains.
That is totally untrue. As long as the motor has an efficient source of outside air a scoop isn't going to do much. Simply modifying the splash guard to flow enough air is plenty. Ram air, for many reasons, is ineffective in automotive applications. The only thing a ram air system does is feed cooler outside air to the engine, and in the TA applications, gives it a straight path to the engine.

-Chris
Old 04-24-2003, 05:48 PM

the point of RAM air is the RAM the air into the intake. Its Forced in there.. the faster you go the MORE air is forced or RAMMED into the intake. Thus "ram air", ANd yes the air is colder but the air is more abundant. There is more air for the engine to use, to insure it wont lack air. Kinda why Drag Cars have scoops! same principal just less air flow on our applications
Old 04-24-2003, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Chrisbequick
Reverse itself? Ummm, no.

-Chris
Are you so sure? The vents are there either to let air in or to let it out. Since the front of the air dam is a high air pressure area I'd say the air is going to go in.
Old 04-25-2003, 01:02 AM

I disagree, with my K&N hanging up in the front fender and being out of the air travel directing the air up to the filter does help.
Since your in Lenexa Chris we will have to get together and argue about this over a beer, I want to see your car in person anyway.
Old 04-30-2003, 02:00 PM

I thought about making a ram air scoop, there but settled for cutting out the triangular area in front of the air dam, which is a high pressure area, so it should help some..
Old 04-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mtrhds94Z
I thought about making a ram air scoop, there but settled for cutting out the triangular area in front of the air dam, which is a high pressure area, so it should help some..
BUt none of you have seen actual gains @ the track?
Old 05-01-2003, 05:41 AM

Originally posted by SloMofo
BUt none of you have seen actual gains @ the track?
I look at it as one of those things that surely can't HURT, and makes sense to do, since it has to allow more air flow cut out..
I also think it would be a small gain, hard to 'prove' on a dyno, or at the track...

edit out 'dyno' [as the car sits still on it.. and airflow doesn't change]

Last edited by Mtrhds94Z; 05-01-2003 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by Bud M
I made a scoop too. If you want more air into your intake, it has to be the most effective way. Just cutting up the splash guard is pretty ghetto IMO. And I made a plate to cover it in bad weather. Pics in my sig.
Man, that scoop you made looks awesome! I especially like the idea of the plate for bad weather, good thinking. How hard was this to make (time, money, tools, ect.)?

ATTN everyone: I'll seen some "air bypass valves" in Summit (in the, gasp, sport compact section!) for CAI's that won't allow your intake to suck water into the engine in case of getting water into the filter. I mention this because the streets in my town flood very quickly when it rains, sometimes over a foot of standing water. My car is lowered 2", and the splash guard that covers the filter in my Lingenfelter CAI probably stands 8-10" off the ground. You can do the math, and see my concern. What do you guys think of this "bypass valve"? Never heard anything about them, and lots of import stuff is frivalous and crap.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:46 PM

It takes half a day to make one the way I did mine. About $30 in materials. As far as tools, a saw (a bandsaw is best), files, a drill and a vise is about all you need. Email me if you want instructions.