LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

throwing codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 10:18 PM

throwing codes

I just got my car put back together...im running open long tubes for a couple more days. it wasnt running right....losing quite a bit of power, so i had a diagnostic run. it said the MAF sensor was showing a code, the fans wont turn off, and the car is running lean.

i was thinking that it was running lean bc of the exhaust not being on, and the fans might be coming on because of that...but what about the maf?

also...the voltmeter is reading a little bit higher than it used to, although it is consistent.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Re: throwing codes

What code for the MAF?

How close are the O2 sensors to the open collectors? Too close, and its not going to run very well. The "lean" code generally means the O2 sensors are reporting a "lean" condition, and no matter how much extra fuel the PCM adds, it can't bring it back within spec. With bad data from the O2 sensors, this is in fact a "false" lean. The excessive fuel may be washing down your cylinder walls - not a good way to run the engine.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:04 PM

i just got the true duals put on....its still throwing the same codes. we put a friends maf sensor on, and the fans are still on all the time. i was thinking it was bc the codes might need to be erased. is this right? or could i have ruined the o2 sensors by running open headers...and would this possibly make the computer think its the maf? would a diagnostic say anything about the o2s?

also...i thought duals were supposed to be loud. i put 12" dynomax bullets on, dumped right before the axle, and its not even as loud as my stock exhaust with a flowmaster...not to mention it has a crappy tone. is it just the mufflers?
Old 01-21-2005, 01:06 AM
Administrator

The code will stay "stored" for quite a while. You need to clear it, then scan again. Pull the "PCM BAT" fuse for 30 seconds and try again. Is the SES light still on?

If the code is still there after you clear it, check the pink wire on the MAF harness connector for +12V.

I run duals with 3" Borla XR-1's , short pipes and turndowns in front of the axle, and its nice and loud.... won't pass the noise limits at the local track on "muffled" days
Old 01-25-2005, 11:36 AM

thanks for your help. i put a new maf sensor on, and it started to run a lot better. it turns out hte code was staying on bc i unplugged the egr solenoid. i plugged it in today and reset the computer, and now it runs like a charms.
thanks